Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boat upholstery:Hand staple gun or air staple gun?

Boat upholstery:Hand staple gun or air staple gun? 13 years 4 months ago #32614

I find I have two choices for putting upholstery together; air gun stapler you attach to a compressor and hand staple gun found at Lowe's and Home Depot for under $25.

I am making new seats and side panels for the boat. The ply it is going into is 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch Douglas Fur and am using Naugahyde.

It will be for a one time use on the upholstery.

Which would be better for my uses and why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re:Boat upholstery:Hand staple gun or air staple gun? 13 years 4 months ago #32616

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Since the intended use is on only one project the hand stapler should meet your reqirements. In addition to both the hand and pneumatic staplers there are also electric units for a little more $$ and well worth the added cost. I have all 3 variations and find uses outside of upholstery work for thier use.

Melanie

Not the one I have but gives you an idea what's available.

www.lowes.com/pd_44901-412-ET501_0__?productId=3361428&Ntt=electric+stapler&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Delectric%2Bstapler&facetInfo=

Re:Boat upholstery:Hand staple gun or air staple gun? 13 years 4 months ago #32618

i use a electric hand stapler,and you can get stainless steel staples at lowes.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Boat upholstery:Hand staple gun or air staple gun? 13 years 4 months ago #32634

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I used a hand stapler for my upholstery- It'll work fine. Pneumatic guns are nice if you've got a lot of work to do, but probably overkill for one or two small projects. I've got one of the 'power shot' staplers, it works really well.

As John said, you can get the stainless and Monel staples at most Lowes stores... The Monel are more corrosion resistant, but WAY more expensive... Stainless is fine for most uses, especially in fresh water....

Re:Boat upholstery:Hand staple gun or air staple gun? 13 years 4 months ago #32828

Heed the advice for the use of stainless steel staples. A crappy staple gun will only piss you off & waste your time. Get a decent one, or borrow a good one from a friend.

If you didn't know, rounding over the edges of the plywood coring is important. Use a router, file, sander, whatever. Just get the edge off. I like to round the edges by about 1/4". More than that isn't really necessary. You can also cut strips of vinyl or use scraps to cover the edges of the plywood before streaching the finished cover over them. This gives an extra bit of padding for the vinyl cover, makes it have a smoother look & it will wear much longer without tearing through the edges.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6491 guests and no members online