TOPIC: Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice

Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice 13 years 4 months ago #32518

• bridges
  • bridges's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
All:

I recently posted a Glasspar g3 for sale in the glassifieds section of this website. I got an email from a man who claimed he wanted to buy the boat. He got my address and told me he had alreadysent a check to cover the cost and shipping, which he said he'd arranged. He wanted me to contact him as SOON as I got the check.

I smelled a scam when he'd never make phone contact. I also thought it was weird that he sent included the shipping cost, since I'd never agreed to deal with that. Plus no one ever answered his phone. His syntax was very British and strange.

So I got the counterfeit US Bank check today....wait for it....from Malaysia. With no return address. It really was laughable. If I'd been taken in, my bank would have possibly caught the fake check anyway, since it was missing the watermark and micro-print signature line.

I'm sure he had intended to tell me to deposit the check and then wire money to the shipping company before it cleared.

Anyway I blocked his email, etc., so I'm hoping no harrassment, but I just wanted to tell this story so others will be careful!

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1962 Glasspar Citation 16, Mercury 1250
1969 Allison Craft R15, Mercury Twister
1970 Allison Craft R15, Mercury 1350 Stacker

Re: Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice 13 years 4 months ago #32519

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good going, don't let them take you! Whats he gonna do, drive the boat back to Malaysia? :LOL:

Re:Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice 13 years 4 months ago #32521

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
They keep trying... The sad thing is, there are still people that actually fall for this! Many go unreported, as the 'victim' is too embarrassed to do anything. Of course, even if they DO report it, there is really nothing that can be done.

A good friend of mine got caught in one of these scams a couple years ago, trying to sell a big wooden sailboat that he owned... He lost a few thousand dollars to the scammers.

Re:Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice 13 years 4 months ago #32525

Some tried to get me before selling on Craigslist. He wanted to use a third party check. I told him to come look at it and bring cold hard cash and a truck. He hung up. LOL

As soon as you mention "cash only", they disappear 13 years 4 months ago #32536

How much did he include for shipping to Malaysia?

Re:Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice 13 years 4 months ago #32538

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
It's amazing how many people are gullible.This "scam" has been around almost as long as the pyrimad scheme.As stated before,accept cash,cash and only cash,unless they are willing to go to the bank with you as you cash that check in front of them.Then when you have cash in hand sign over the property. Now if the buyer gives you a check and is willing to wait a week for that to clear then by all means go that route.Not even sure if I would accept a certified bank check with all the foregery going on in this day and age,unless again they go to the bank with you as you cash it.Did I mention cash??? Cash is King in my world......

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Boat-buying scammer tried to get me...no dice 13 years 4 months ago #32564

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I wonder if there is any safe way to do a transfer these days???Paypal disputes get tied up for months.
Same with credit cards, and who knows if numbers / cards are legit.
Checks? Forget it!
Money orders? They can be "recalled" [money shows in your account balance, like a successful transaction, but can be pulled out if there is a dispute, up to 30 days later. Long after you've shipped item and buyer disappears]
Cash? Conterfeiters are keeping pace with the treasury. I prefer cash, and NOTE TO ALL: get one of those pens stores use to check bills, but also check for other discrepancies.
Barter? may be the best way to go??? As long as you are holding the items that are being swapped. dont rely on photos.

Glad to hear the poster didnt get trapped here.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6818 guests and no members online