• Page:

TOPIC: Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar

Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32408

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just returned home with another great find. 1965 Lonestar Triton. Mostly all original but for a new floor/carpet and someone foolishly replaced the cool Kainer bow light with a newer one (and threw it away ...DOH!). I love the lines of this little boat and what is it called 4 chined hull? Orginal seats doubtful but are still nice and the windshield is nice but for being used to support a ridge pole(aka 4x4) and a ton of snow some winter so has a bow in it. I should be able to straighten that out thou.
No motor but I did stop on my way home with it and looked at a early 60's Merc 650 with a blown lower. Almost got it but wiring was rough and original controls were not there. It would have been virtually this set up of the same boat I found in the archives:

**** I have a nice running 1958 Johnson 35(Javelins son) that I could easily throw on it but it is rated to a 75 so I'd rather get a mid sixties(silver stripe) Merc in 40-65 range....of course that is more money. Probably throw the 35 on her to see how she does. That way I will be forced to find a nice Mark 58 or 78 for my Custom Craft Sea Ray :-)

Some pics:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32409

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
there is a 1964 Merc 650 EL floating around cl up in NH. Fresh water engine. That would be a good fit for you.
Jim

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32410

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Jim,

Thanks for the tip but even though a good fit its about a 14 hour round trip from here. Think I'll look a little closer to home. Such as with Tim Calmes down at Silver Lake( one hour away ). I gotta take my Mark 55 to him to go over anyways.

Looking for his number right now.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32413

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
NickleCityClassics/ Paridise Boat Works has Tom's info..I have two 1966 650's there ,hope he does not sell one to you LOL.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32414

Is that a Wrinkle in the lower transom skin? How's the sole/deck? Solid?? The transom looks a little suspect to me. I have a 61' Lonestar "Flamingo" Barn Find but she was ALL original. I really lucked out. The entire boat, motor and trailer had less than 200 hours on em. All the "Jewelry" was still attached and working. I almost have her done. Been working on her for a year and a half.

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32416

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Aren't you observant Flamingo. Yes that is a slight line where the outer skin has delaminated a bit from the transom...down from the two lower bolt holes(I just went over it thoroughly. I wish I had a moisture meter thingy like the surveyors have but when I check from the inside of the transom it seems solid(using a small ballpene hammer all the way down. Hopefully is is not much more than the skin separating in that 10x10 inch area. I suppose I should drill a few small holes to verify. Everywhere else (especially across the top down to those lower holes is solid as a rock. Maybe a bunch of small holes if I find some moisture thru and fill will gut-rot and epoxy?

In any case... This is not a keeper(I already have two beauties to restore) and I have decided to just throw a 65 Evinrude 40 on her which shouldn't stress anything like a 65 or 70 Merc would.

Keep ya posted and I'd like to see some pics of your Lonestar. I actually thought that this was a Mustang based on the pics until I saw the name plate on the dash as Triton.

I understand that in 65 these are really (just about that year) Chryslers that bought Lone Star right?

Take care,
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32512

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thats a nice one! Its almost identical to my Lonestar Mustang! Awesome find!

Re:Another One Liberated From the Barn - LoneStar 13 years 4 months ago #32526

Looks fast, I like it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6735 guests and no members online