Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New paint

New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32167

What?!? Again?

Yup, sorry...

Came out shiny. Purdy brush.

Note to self, do NOT paint again in hot sun!

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32172

Looks good Frank. I'll be flipping my Invader over this week and hopefully get deck sprayed this week. Have to do floor then deck.

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32175

Looks Awesome Frank!

Bob

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32180

frank,it looks fantastic my friend,great job,and i also like your your little camper,but the finish on that boat is beautiful,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32187

Thanks guys, came out okay, a few tiny bubbles (tiny bubbles, hmm, that reminds me of a song...) here and there, but okay until...

My brother comes over for me to do some electric work on one of his trailers. I told him I just painted the deck, it's easy to see. Just as he's leaving he says "Frank, what are these little bubbles?" and touched the bow with his finger. Grrrrrrrrr. :(

Now for lunch, then pull some tiny travel trailer hubs. It never ends does it? Well, I guess it does, never mind.

Frank

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32204

frank, thatsa a Maaco shine. will you be able to pull da boat and trailer together? if it was legal here in jersey i would look for one of those too.

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32218

Very Nice Frank. Not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere but what kind of paint did you use(for the deck and hull)? Obviously sprayed on but a few details on the paint and how much you thinned it down and with what would be nice to know. What is the name of that color?

Wish I had the equipment and facilities to spray but I have had very good results and mastered the roll and tip method. The key I have found is to use really good paint and good foam rollers and good badger or similar brush for the tip.

Pettit one part poly and I thin to test on a old pane of glass on vertical till it just stops slipping(ie running).

One more question...what did you use on the trailer and if different(like Rustoleum) ...did you have a hard time matching?

Looking forward to seeing the hardware back on her.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32219

Yes Ron, we can pull the boat and trailer together. I pull Nine Lives with the GMC, Gail follows with the Subaru towing Spot. :)

That is NOT a Maaco shine Ron. Your paint looks 100% better, trust me buddy.

Frank

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32222

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
how bad are the bubbles? hit em with some compound and a buffing wheel?

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32231

I'm not too worried about it Jim. They're sorta evenly distributed, and I just don't want to do that. It still looks good, but will require a bit of touch-up here and der. I'm gonna let it dry REAL well, then go over it and see what needs help, do it, and call it a wrap. Plus I'm not absolutely sure you can even compound Brightsides without losing it's ephemeral shine. Last year the shine sure didn't last, which was one of the reasons it got repainted. I hate the thought of sanding it all off and starting over with a different paint, but I can tell you I think about that a lot!

Frank

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32312

F - Morning! So how did you apply? It looks good. B

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32313

Top of the morning to you B.

Very high quality Purdy brush. I may re-sand and pick up a Wooster foam brush and a new quart of paint. The quart I had was thinned with 216, and I brushed with 333, so I have some minor flows, plus areas I missed. With 333, everything looks very red, and it's hard to see where you are. Alternatively, I may just use the thinned paint I have without 333.

Interestingly enough, the only smooth shiny surface is where my brother touched the deck with his finger a few hours after I painted it. I wish the whole deck looked as good!

Any chance you could stop over for a few minutes and give me your best advice? I need to figure out what I'm going to do by Friday. Sand, wet sand, touch up, whole deck, foam brush, Purdy, etc. I want to be prepared to re-do it Saturday a.m., first thing.

F

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32360

That looks great. I love the color. I was wondering, I assume that it was originally a gel coat, what was your decision based on to paint verses sand/polish the gel coat? I’m trying to decide if I will paint or go the sand/polish root on my Leavens.

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32365

PC1000 wrote:

Top of the morning to you B.

Very high quality Purdy brush. I may re-sand and pick up a Wooster foam brush and a new quart of paint. The quart I had was thinned with 216, and I brushed with 333, so I have some minor flows, plus areas I missed. With 333, everything looks very red, and it's hard to see where you are. Alternatively, I may just use the thinned paint I have without 333.

Interestingly enough, the only smooth shiny surface is where my brother touched the deck with his finger a few hours after I painted it. I wish the whole deck looked as good!

Any chance you could stop over for a few minutes and give me your best advice? I need to figure out what I'm going to do by Friday. Sand, wet sand, touch up, whole deck, foam brush, Purdy, etc. I want to be prepared to re-do it Saturday a.m., first thing.

F

I you used a brush what's with all the red over-spray on the plastic masking? Maybe I am missing something?

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32377

Merccooper, look here: www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html . The boat had been smashed in the starboard bow and poorly repaired, then painted. There were gel cracks and spider webbing all over it that I ground out and filled. this was all very new to me, so paint was the easy finish to do.

barnfinder, the plastic was used for a spray job that didn't work out. I wet sanded and brushed that last coat on.

Frank

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32378

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Lookin good Frank
Bet you can't wait to get that Merc back on and get back in the water!
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32380

Thank you Neil. You bet! I can't wait to get the seats back in, big old Merc on, steering wheel installed and a few other goodies and hit the water. Won't be long now.

Frank

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32381

looking good there frank. I am still waiting on that surge brack. It is for drum brakes. Skip

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32383

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Bless your heart Frank, I sure hope this time it turns out the way you want it. (Looks GREAT in the pic, BTW) Sincere best wishes for a Sat evening of "job well done" admiration! Keep us posted.

Mark

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32398

Thanks Skip. You got my email address right? Email me when you get it and I'll send you my home address.

Thanks Mark, more to do, never ends. May be putting another coat on Saturday a.m., but I hope this is the last one. Gonna build a temporary garage for the boat I think...

Frank

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32551

Ta da da! Ready for another coat...

Lot more lights set up just for the a.m. Pics later.

Enjoy your day all!

Attachments:

Re:New paint 13 years 4 months ago #32552

Ok F! I'm pounding down the Starbucks. Be there ~7:30. B

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6728 guests and no members online