• Page:

TOPIC: Replacement Transom Question

Replacement Transom Question 13 years 4 months ago #32023

• cawrsfm
  • cawrsfm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a transom replacement question that I cannot seem to find a definitive answer for on any of the various self-help articles.
I understand the part about glassing the interior face of the new transom, and I plan on doing this prior to installation as outlined in Jamil's tutorial.
However, I am unclear as to what to do with the top (exposed) edge of the transom. Do I glass this as an extension of the interior glass? Or do I leave it as bare wood on just seal it with resin? It makes sense to glass it with the same fabric/matt pieces as applied to the interior (just simply folding the larger piece over the edge). But then how do I seal the glass connection between outer skin and top edge of the glassed transom?

I guess I am looking for advice from you experienced people on how you go about this? I want to be sure I am doing this properly.
So the question is: Do I glass the top edge or not?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Replacement Transom Question 13 years 4 months ago #32048

You asked a question that I would like some answers too. My 17ft Skagit has been modified in the transom so no wood is visible in the whole transom splashwell area. I think it looks a lot better then the way it came from the factory. I didn't do the transom it was done when I got the boat. I am now doing a 20 ft Skagit and planning on pouring its transom. I plan on covering all remaining wood with mat. Why did so many manufactures leave the end grains of the plywood uncovered with mat?
Attachments:

Re:Replacement Transom Question 13 years 4 months ago #32116

This is how I recommend building and replacing a transom.

(click the pic to enlarge)

I really saturate the edges with resin before applying the 1.5oz mat. I also drill 1/2" holes in the transom wood in various places so air can escape during clamping. The thickened resin will fill the holes as it is squeezed out during clamping. After it dries I use two layers of 1708 Biaxial cloth to laminate the transom to the hull.

Hope this helps!

Re:Replacement Transom Question 13 years 4 months ago #32209

When I did my transom, I covered the top edge with 2 heavy coats of resin. Then I covered it with 5200 and capped it with a piece of aluminum. It definately won't leak water. Looking back, I wish I had put some cloth over it as well but I think I'm ok. Understand, this isn't exactly the way the Dorsett was originally built. Does your boat have a splashwell? Will it cap the back of the transom? You can almost see the back of my transom in this photo. Hope this helps.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6806 guests and no members online