Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ?? MFG / Lyman ?

?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31616

I have in my possession what I believe to be the first (and only) Lyman fiberglass 13 foot. I rescued the boat from a trip to the dumps a few months back and am now trying to document any information about it.
The story goes that in 1954 MFG was producing parts for the new corvette and was looking to expand production. They turned a 13’ wooden upside down and used it as a mold. After laying up the fiberglass they then added a wooden deck, transom, and sides and presented it Bernard and Herman Lyman who promptly refused the whole idea. The head of the MFG project team took possession of the boat, used it, and stored it in his yard in Smithtown, New York until his passing. Being a member of ACBS and a volunteer at the Long Island Maritime Museum I thought it had some historical value. I am now in the process of restoring the vessel. Any information or documentation would be greatly appreciated.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or Bill Fritz 631 281-6365
Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31619

Are you sure it's not 12 1/2 footer. This was The Corry Suburban. They are pretty common. I have one. It has a wooden keel inside the boat. It has an inverted A style wooden transom support. I don't have many pics on the puter I'm on now. It was in fact molded from a lyman hull. It had a 44 inch mahogany deck out front with a pulley steering system. It was rated at 30 hp. They also made the hull into a utility boat hull with tiller steer rated at 20 hp.Here is a craigslist link to one.
pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/2367533099.html

Re: ?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31620

Hello Bill, can you post any photos? I would like to see it. Thanks! Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31621

Here is a pic of the transom inside.
Attachments:

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31622

Another
Attachments:

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31627

Your story of how Molded Fiber Glass (MFG) got into making boats is correct from my understanding. Are you certain you have the FIRST boat molded by MFG? It would not be a Lyman boat but she is a MFG boat.

There are MFG brochures on this webpage in the Classic Library section.

Andreas

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31629

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would think that the first mold would of been from the 15' Lyman.The 15' footers are what they have listed in the earliest years. That was the most popular size at the time.If you punch in Cambridge in the search icon the boat that is listed for Morgan Smith is now mine.It has the wood transom that stradles a thin sheet of fiberglass. Which is now done the opposite way.Also has the wooden keel and keelson again stradling the fiberglass hull.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 4 months ago #31657

I don't know about mid-fifties MFG but the late 50's and early 60's were fiberglass hull(that was molded to look like Lap-strake construction and not like what you show and they had wooden seats and decks. Like this one:

rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2367796824.html

Doesn't show the hull well but you can certainly find something online.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 2 months ago #38357

This post ties in with the MFG post below.

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 2 months ago #38359

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay your pics show the more angular chines.The transom is not like the other one.Yours also has the fiber ribs along with the same rib material filling in the strakes on the hull.Now he said his ribs were made of wood not glass and then the ribs were glassed over to the hull,not glued into place.Maybe they made some that way,but my 1954 Cambridge is not.Roberts ribs are pretty much the same as mine.Not sure where the aluminum stringers came into play,maybe a add on by someone down the line.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:?? MFG / Lyman ? 13 years 2 months ago #38390

One thing we can all agree on is one thing worked their were a bunch of others to copy it too. My boat was way beyond original when I got it. I was missing the deck , console, steering wheel, pulleys and at the time I didn't know what the screw holes in the aluminum rails were, until I seen the add here for one. The specs on the sizes were the same .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7585 guests and 2 members online