Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anti-Splash plates

Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31322

My old 14' Hollywood boat must have a unique hull design. I've used two motors, both with new props, and water is always kicked up over the back and into the boat once I gain any speed at all. There are the remains of plates mounted near the bottom of the stern of the boat. It looks like they were adjustable and prevented water from doing this.

Does anybody know what these plates were, how they were designed, if I can find them anywhere, and/or how I could replicate them and keep water out of my boat.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31339

ok welcome to the site...

we love pictures here, if you have one just post it using the "Select Image file to attach" after you choose the photo of your topic put the cursor on a blank line with or with out "Center" and click on [IMG}. the letters {IMG} will show in your post not the picture, just click on "submit" and your picture will post with your post when you "view" it in the forum.

repeat if you have more than -one- picture by returning to your -post- using the -edit post- button.

this "tab" you may be talking about sounds like a trim-tab, if water is spraying up in to the boat we have an expert just on that subject, his name is King "Ron" of the upside down waterfall, where as many know him as NJron.

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31342

i'm the king of the upside down waterfall alright. the problem is that the lower unit of the motor is to far down in the water. raising the motor up on the transom should cure that. ron

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31375

So if you get a picture posted take one of the motor in the cruising position. what we need to see is how far the lower unit is below the bottom of the boat.

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31386

What a great site! Thanks to all of you for your help.

If it worked right, I attached a picture of the one plate which is still attached to the boat, and another picture of the other plate which I have already removed.

The motor I will be using is on another boat right now. That boat is in need of repair, so I can use it to get mine up and running again. So, right now, I can't show that to you.

I can gladly use a piece of wood to raise the motor on the transom and drill new bolt holes if that will solve the problem.

From what you can see of the plates, it looks like there was a hinged section that came out perpendicular to the remaining plate. And, it looks like there was a support attached to the top center of the remaining plate that I can only assume attached to the lower hinged plate. I'm guessing it may have been adjustable, retractable, or both.

I've had problems with leaking in the past, so if these are not necessary, I'd like to do without them and patch up the transom solid. But, if they have a truly useful function, I'll put something back there to serve the purpose.

I originally got this boat around 15 years ago and used it for a few years with a motor that had lower unit problems. I eventually gave it to my cousin when we moved out of state. He didn't use it, but did sell the motor. Recently, he gave it back to me. I can use my Father in-law's '67 50hp Merc on it for a while and have a '65 (or so) 40hp Evinrude to work on for when I have to return the Merc.

So, now I'm trying to solve the problems I was fighting with before. I'm very excited to be able to take the kids out on the water again.

Thanks for providing such a helpful forum!

--Brian

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31387

Trying the pictures again ...

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31388

OK. Reduced the size. I think this should work ...
OK! Got it to work. I'll see when I can get the motor on it and post you a picture of what that looks like in it's normal position.

Thanks again!

--Brian
Attachments:

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31392

OK. It looks like I need to get the dimensions of my pictures reduced. I will do that and post ASAP.

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 5 months ago #31429

yup, those are hull mounted trim tabs...just as i suspected.

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 4 months ago #31433

I also agree that these are trim tabs. Someone was probably trying to stop the boat from porpoising.
Measure from the bottom of your boat to the top of the transom. If it is 15 to 16 inches you need a short shaft motor on your boat. If it measures 20 inches you need a long shaft motor.
You can figure out if your motor is long or short by measuring your motor. Measure from the inside top of the motor bracked that hooks onto the transom to the cavation plate on the lower unit. Should be close to the above numbers.
The wrong motor on the boat will send a lot of spray.

D

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 4 months ago #31436

well mine sends all kinds of spray and it is the right motor. its just to deep in the water. tried one trim tab above the tunnel and there was no change.
Attachments:

Re:Anti-Splash plates 13 years 4 months ago #31444

Thanks. My transom measures 15 1/2". The boat that currently has the motor I will be using measures 17". I will measure the motor next chance I get.

So, if I'm understanding right, these tabs won't do anything to prevent the splash. If the boat has not been porpoising without the lower part of the tabs present, they probably are not of any use to me. Somebody may have had a larger motor on it at some point?

The best thing for me to do is get the distance of the transom to match that of the motor, seal up the holes where the tabs were mounted, and go from there. Right?

Thanks again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7445 guests and one member online