Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately?

Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31261

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I picked up a nice little 15' early 60's Starcraft sitting on a classic Tee-nee trailer with about a 63 Evinrude 60 for next to nothing. Problem is it was a local marina selling off abandoned boats and I have no registration for it.

It is a VERY long and painful process in NY state to get a new HIN so I was hoping that someone out there might just have one sitting in a drawer and would be willing to part with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31301

I was looking into this also since my G3 doesn't have a hull number.

There is info on the NY website about doing this. It doesn't look too bad.

I wouldn't recommend swapping hull numbers. That is actually a felony in NY. You'd probably never get caught but I wouldn't risk it.

www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#BOATS

196? Glasspar G3
1976 Hydrostream Vector
1979 CeeBee Avenger
1986 Hydrostream Varmint
1989 Glastron Carlson CSS-19
2007 Stingray 220SX

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31309

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have checked into the process and it is not too easy. I will either try to give this nice little boat away and keep the motor and trailer or God-forbid ....have to scrap her. Such a shame that govt red tape should apply so strictly to boats that are 15' long and over 40 years old. Most likely the cause of them disappearing daily.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31350

Drag it down to Pennsylvania and put it in someones yard. They can apply for an abandoned boat certificate from The Pennsylvania Boat People. Buy it back then.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31354

I have not had any luck registering old boats without paperwork in NY. That is why I gave up on so many of them. It is a real hassle if you're honest about it. Do what Robert suggests, haul it to PA and register it there.

Frank

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31357

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Some states make it VERY hard- I know when I lived in Ohio, it was tough. Not impossible, but a lot of work. I suppose it's kind of a good thing, as it prevents easy registration of stolen boats, but for those who are legitimate, it is a royal pain.

I am spoiled living in Tennessee- They don't title watercraft- You just take a bill of sale in and get it registered. Super easy.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31361

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I did receive a copy of a V.I.N. verification Form supplied by the Office of the local Orleans county sheriff's department. It only verified that the VIN(or in this case HIN i guess) was #67W9590 was on a Starcraft 15' Boat. The vehicle was in possesion of Joe Blow at location Run Down old Marina.
Singed Dated Badge number.

So....I assume that this will aid somehow but it will still be a pain. I will ask at DMV when I take my son in on Friday to take his learners permit test.

Hauling it to PA(a long ways from Rochester) and knowing nobody there is not an option ....though good thought Robert.

UPDATE: This just in....I just spoke to a guy I know who is basically a used boat dealer/mechanic shop. He has a regi for me from a 14' Fiberglass boat he donated to someone as a project.

I am all set I hope..... besides that felony issue that was mentioned. Of all the felonies that go on in this town, this type would have to rank right at the top of the list of stupid things that shouldn't be and at the bottom the list of seriousness of crime.

If there are any members of the law/coast guard listening out there.... the boat is blue ;)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 5 months ago #31376

I've bought several boats without paperwork and use a title service to get it. www.its-titles.com

It might cost a little but it is worth it in the long run and it is completely legal.

Also, the felony issue is no joke. My brother is a Sheriff and he tells me investigators troll forums all the time looking for posts like this for an easy bust. I'm sure this forum wouldn't be at the top of the list but alot of automotive sites are. I think it is crazy too but there are alot of people out there that get off on ruining people's lives.

196? Glasspar G3
1976 Hydrostream Vector
1979 CeeBee Avenger
1986 Hydrostream Varmint
2007 Stingray 220SX

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31452

if its under 16' register it in wi. You can even do it online. Pay $22 and then turn around and register it in your state. Wi DNR is who told me about that little trick when I was trying to reg my hydrocycle in IL.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31460

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Can you register it online without a WI address?

I did some poking around and couldn't really find it. Do you have any more info and preferably a link.

I'm intrigued to say the least.
Thanks,
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31476

I live in IL and have registered 2 of my atvs (for riding on wi trails) and my 1 hydrocycle in Wi.

dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/RegistrationAndTitling.html

Right at the top of the page is online registration.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31491

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Are you $hitting me? It was that easy? I just went through the online process and apparently have a registration coming from Wisconsin. That was too easy. It was indeed $22 plus a $2 convenience fee and 5% tax and I even donated $2 to the great state of WI to fight Zebra Muscles ... Total $35.

I assume I will have to get the signature of the guy who sold me the boat so add another $20 gas as it is a ways away but HEY I am really happy;.

Now I just need to work on getting a HID for my Orphan Mahogany Ply(see avatar) and I can proceed to register it.

Thanks SOOOOO much for the tip JETBOAT...you the man!! How long did it take for you to receive the regi in the mail?

Sincerely,
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31522

took about a week to get my tag and "boating laws" pamphlet.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31767

Have you checked with a salvage yard? Nevada is tough on boat titles, but through a legit yard, and a fee, they will give you a "SALVAGE TITLE" that can be changed to a regular title. It's worth a try.
old darb

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31784

I wish I knew about that WI trick when I was trying to register my Sabrecraft! I found another way here in Illinois, not quite as easy as WI but not too bad.

The guy at the Dept of Natural Resources (once I finally got a hold of someone...) clued me in. Do a title search on the boat which is done by filling out some info on the registration form and checking the appropriate box so they send you the name and address of who last registered/titled it. Send that person a certified and restricted letter explaining the situation and asking for the title or a signature on the power of attorney form so you can get the title. This letter will probably come back to you seeing that most project boats haven't been registered in years and the old owner moved or passed away. Once this letter comes back, just send the unopened letter in with a new registration form and you've got a new title and registration.

Took me a while to figure this out but it works. Hope it helps someone out there.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31787

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Another good idea thanks. Still waiting for the WI registration to come. I am wondering what it will be.... will it say "transferable" which NY state is key on?

Soon find out I take it. If it works i will be working hard to get NY Parks department to give me a Hull ID Number for my wooden orphan in avatar .....then I will do it again to get the registration for it finally. I can't believe that NY State cannot give me information on this boat that was at one time long ago registered with them with numbers on the side etc. All I really want to know is what the Make/model was on the original registration to put this mystery to rest.

I am pretty confident it is a delta based on some latest findings but surely would love to give a name to the old beauty.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31804

That is my problem. I have the registration numbers on my G3 but the HIN plate is gone. I have to figure out the HIN before I can register it.

196? Glasspar G3
1976 Hydrostream Vector
1979 CeeBee Avenger
1986 Hydrostream Varmint
2007 Stingray 220SX

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #31871

GregsGT,
Is your G3 a 1959? In 1959 the HIN is stamped on a round disk up under the center deck, port side, behind the panel the seat bolts to. I believe in 1960 Glasspar moved it to a plate on the port side of the fwd cockpit.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32047

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
UPDATE: I just received my Wisconsin registration in the mail today. Now for the real test....going to DMV this afternoon to see if I can turn it into a valid "Transferable" NY registration.

I'll keep you posted.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32051

Please do, I may be picking up an old boat with no papers right here in Greene County NY.

Frank

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32053

old darb wrote:

Have you checked with a salvage yard? Nevada is tough on boat titles, but through a legit yard, and a fee, they will give you a "SALVAGE TITLE" that can be changed to a regular title. It's worth a try.
old darb

Don't want to high jack this post but Old darb I live in Dayton just over the hill from you. If you look in my profile my email is there. So far your the only glasshead close to me.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32056

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
SUCCESS!!!!!!!! It worked flawlessly....easiest boat I have ever registered. Even surprised the lady at the DMV that if kicked out a "Transferable" NY registration. Usually they give you non-transferable until Albany can research and verify it is not stolen etc then they send you the transferable in a month or so.

Hardest part was the 2 hour wait at the DMV.

Next up.... the Orphan will get a name. Gotta apply for a HIN thru Parks/Rec and once I have that it is back to the Wisconsin online site for another regi. Good luck Frank and all.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32061

I guess I'm not following you. You got a NYS transferable registration, but have to now get a VIN from NYSOPHP? Is this for the same boat or two different boats?!?

Frank (confusion will be my epitaph!)

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32069

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I just registered the Power Cat [from Ca.] yesterday in NY. All paperwork was spot on but they gave me a temporary Reg. The transferable Reg is to be mailed and will get it in 4-6 weeks.Go figure that you get yours with the Wi. vodoo stuff and I am legit and have to wait. Only in New York.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32070

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Two different boats Frank. The registration I just received was for a 63 Starcraft fiberglass I picked up cheap when a marina was getting rid of abandonded boats so I had no regi with it.

The next step will be to get one for my "Orphan"(mid 50's Mahogany Ply runabout in my avatar picture). It does not have a marking on it let alone a HIN.(hence the nickname) So first I need the HIN(Parks Dept) then I go thru the Wisconsin Registration process again to have her registered in NY finally.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32071

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Mr. 88 wrote:

I just registered the Power Cat [from Ca.] yesterday in NY. All paperwork was spot on but they gave me a temporary Reg. The transferable Reg is to be mailed and will get it in 4-6 weeks.Go figure that you get yours with the Wi. vodoo stuff and I am legit and have to wait. Only in New York.

Yep ...every time you visit the DMV it is a roll of the dice to see what issues you run into. As I said...besides myself...the lady clerk was very surprised it spit out a transferable....but hey ...I'm not gonna argue that right. And yes ...it does seem to take forever to get that sent to you. Hope you are not wanting to sell the boat?

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32073

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
barnfinder wrote:

Mr. 88 wrote:

Yep ...every time you visit the DMV it is a roll of the dice to see what issues you run into. As I said...besides myself...the lady clerk was very surprised it spit out a transferable....but hey ...I'm not gonna argue that right. And yes ...it does seem to take forever to get that sent to you. Hope you are not wanting to sell the boat?

Well since Frank mentioned epitaph I will mention Headstones,a PC on one end and a CC on the other.... :ohmy: Those two are going the distance with me.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32259

glad it all worked out...

Im stuck now in the predicament of trying to figure out how to title a homebuilt boat in Il. So far the DNR doesnt even believe you can build a powerboat at home.

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32261

barnfinder wrote:

Two different boats Frank. The registration I just received was for a 63 Starcraft fiberglass I picked up cheap when a marina was getting rid of abandonded boats so I had no regi with it.

The next step will be to get one for my "Orphan"(mid 50's Mahogany Ply runabout in my avatar picture). It does not have a marking on it let alone a HIN.(hence the nickname) So first I need the HIN(Parks Dept) then I go thru the Wisconsin Registration process again to have her registered in NY finally.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Whew! Thanks man. I am NOT confused! I think...

Frank

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32271

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boy I need to studdy this... my little Utility racer is paperless as well...

Re:Anybody Scrapped An Old Glass Boat Lately? 13 years 4 months ago #32412

• n0ukf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
jetboat wrote:

Im stuck now in the predicament of trying to figure out how to title a homebuilt boat in Il. So far the DNR doesnt even believe you can build a powerboat at home.

Have you taken pictures of the building process? This should be proof of building at least, if they need documentation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6697 guests and no members online