• Page:

TOPIC: HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks

HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31109

• 69Fabuglas
  • 69Fabuglas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Put the Fabuglas in the water yesterday for the first time with it's 1978 Merc 1400. Had a small issue...

I have a permanent mount Moeller 12 gallon belly tank. I'm using 3/8" automotive Fuel Injection hose (alcohol resistant). There is a large inline fuel filter.

The distance from the tank to the engine is about 6-ft of hose. I also threw one of my OMC 6-gallon portable tanks in the boat, just as an extra... I planned on cutting the OMC hose fitting off and attaching it directly to the fuel filter if needed.

My question- Can I use the OMC tank like this? It's NOT the early pressure-type tank.. it's a single-hose unit.

IF YOU KNOW... please answer ASAP.. as i want to get back to the lake this morning...

As for "How'd she run?
She would launch out of the water great- then after 200 yards or so.. she'd slow down. We spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally, while cruising on plane at 25 mph.. I started pumping the fuel bulb... she accelerated to 42 MPH as long as I pumped the bulb. I suspect I need to change the fuel filter and check for air-leaks in the fuel hoses...since I didn't have this problem with the Bass Boat this engine was on before swapping to the Fabuglas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31113

I had the same problem last summer with my 1350 that when chinewalker sat in the back and pumped the bulb the motor ran fine, otherwise could not get enough fuel. Easily solved, and for not a lot of money, by replacing the fuel pump diaphrams. Parts at NAPA were like <$10.

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31114

Ditto here when I first got my Power Cat out and my Merc 1000. Replace fuel pump diaphragms, presto zippo, problem solved!

Frank

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31116

Like others have said, changing the fuel pump diaphragm may solve the problem. Your inlet hose may be too large and too long for the short stroke of the diaphragm to pull fuel effectively, especially if there is air in the circuit anywhere, like the filter.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31117

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
"F": Different line hose Diameter may be a issue.? Yes OMC should be 5 /16" , & some of my Merc fitting use 1/4 " I believe. .Got a squeeze bulb kit that had the four sizes of nozzled to screw into either side of bulb. !!. Like everyone mentioned over winter carb Diaphram can harden up like a piece of leather & not suck strong enough.

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31141

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Go to Walmart, pick up a hose and primer assembly. Put an OMC fitting on the tank end and a Merc engine fitting on the motor end. Makes it easier to feed different motors from one tank and cheaper than buying extra tanks.

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31143

Make sure it's a 3/8 hose when you buy an assembly.

Frank

Re:HELP NEEDED FAST- OMC/MERC Gas Tanks 13 years 5 months ago #31148

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Kerry wrote:

Go to Walmart, pick up a hose and primer assembly. Put an OMC fitting on the tank end and a Merc engine fitting on the motor end.

That's what I did, all my tanks are OMC fittings on the tank, but now I can work on my Merc without buying another tank. $20 for the hose assy, $7 for the Merc motor fitting (3/8" hose). :P

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7471 guests and one member online