• Page:

TOPIC: fiberglass repair

fiberglass repair 13 years 5 months ago #31050

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
i keep reading about resin jelly on this board. i have a few spider cracks in some gelcoat on my boat, is this product good to repair them with? and were do you get it? i have tryed all the suppliers that our body shop does business with and they have not heard of it.thanks for the help. frog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:fiberglass repair 13 years 5 months ago #31057

I just picked some resin jelly up at O'Reillys auto supply. It's a Bondo product, made by 3M,. Haven't tried it out yet. I'm planning on using it as a "fairing" material in some difficult areas. As for the spider cracks, a dremel tool first I guess, and maybe then some jelly in the grooves might work. Give it a shot, the product isn't too pricey, and small cracks might be filled with it. Mr. Gibson claims it is easy to sand, which is nice, but I can't testify about the durability, and I don't know if there are any issues with the final paint and/or gelcoat finish on top of Jelly. Sure hope not...

Re:fiberglass repair 13 years 5 months ago #31058

just sand the spider crack down to the fiberglass,then fill it gelcoat,then sand the gelcoat down to what you need.simple?

Re:fiberglass repair 13 years 5 months ago #31061

here is the resin jelly i use,i get it at franks auto supermarket,its car groom brand,and sands very nicely,and goes on as smooth as auto putty.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7486 guests and one member online