Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wet sanding tonight

Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #30997

Buying painting tape, plastic drop cloths, gonna wet sand the deck tonight (hopefully), and start taping off stuff including the rub rail, a few deck fixtures I did not want to remove, the steering wheel hub, tach, and "oh crap!" handle. Sure would like to get another couple of coats of paint on the deck. Get ready for a season I may not be able to afford gas for!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31002

i might go out a few times and thats it, unless the price drops.

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31003

I fully understand Ron. Let alone everything we buy going up in price, I'm just waiting for the hammer to drop here and see how much my pay is being cut. :(

Frank

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31004

Frank I thought you were done with the boat last summer. You know if you get to many coats of paint on it its going to sink from the waight. Everytime you get it perfict you find a flaw in it. Its just that everytime you start working on the boat you hurt your self.
And with the price of gas you will have to do like I do when my lake goes down. You go out and sit in the boat and make motor noise's. Just like in the picture here.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
Thats called dryland boating
Attachments:

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31006

What happened Mike was I repaired the damaged starboard bow in two stages - the hull and the deck. When I put the hull and deck back together, the deck cracked right where the damage had been. So that, plus a few other things that caught my attention, got fixed and now it's paint time again. Plus as you may remember, everyone last spring was saying just quit working on it and get it in the water, which I did. I knew I would have re-painting to do if for no other reason than I didn't get complete coverage after 5 coats of finish paint. Plus our boat is on an event poster for an ACBS meet this summer and I want it to look fresh. So it is what it is.

There are a few other surprises coming as I keep working on it too!

Frank

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31011

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Frank

Teaser! :laugh:

Mark

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31085

Ok now just don't hurt your self. Everytime you it takes the fun out of working on the boat.. Hell the way gas is and prices going up I may not get much dont on my other boats. Got to save enough to go to Ogden Ut to vist my kids. Got a new grand doughter I haven't seen. Plus I picked up a small plastic boat for one of my boys and have to take that out to him.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

PC1000 wrote:

What happened Mike was I repaired the damaged starboard bow in two stages - the hull and the deck. When I put the hull and deck back together, the deck cracked right where the damage had been. So that, plus a few other things that caught my attention, got fixed and now it's paint time again. Plus as you may remember, everyone last spring was saying just quit working on it and get it in the water, which I did. I knew I would have re-painting to do if for no other reason than I didn't get complete coverage after 5 coats of finish paint. Plus our boat is on an event poster for an ACBS meet this summer and I want it to look fresh. So it is what it is.

Frank

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31089

I got her wet sanded and taped off for painting and masking this afternoon Mike, and it's about all I can do today. I couldn't put a coat of paint on it today if I wanted to, and trust me, I sure would like to. We'll see how it goes.

Even after wet sanding I still have spots in the paint. Sometimes!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31091

geez frank i hope those spots cover. ron

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31092

I think I'll sand it some more Ron. I agree.

Frank

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31103

Hang in there Frank, good progress so far.

Bob

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31112

Thanks Bob. I got out this a.m., and over the last hour, wet sanded spots that needed it (water spots as noted and shown in a pic above), as well as some areas where brush marks were still evident. Washed it all down again. Hope to have a friend come over and spray paint it, but wondering if I should brush areas that did not cover well from last year's 5 coats and new spots repaired this last couple of weeks.

If my buddy can't make it today, I'll tarp it till he can come over.

Frank

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31137

Great Frank. If your going to spray I'd stick with spraying all that needs it and not spraying some, brushing others. Blends better that way. Just my opinion.

Bob

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31149

hi frank i agree with bob,let the spray gun do its job,a fellow that can handle a good spray gun can cover those,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Wet sanding tonight 13 years 5 months ago #31150

Thanks guys, we'll see what happens. It didn't happen yesterday, so we'll see when we get as good a day on a weekend again. It was perfect here yesterday, 70+, very light wind. Boat is tarped for now.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7495 guests and one member online