Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need some advice for my first project.....

Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30939

• uga girl
  • uga girl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Returned home at midnite Saturday with my 1960 Glastron Fireflight. I want to start working on the floor this weekend. There are no soft spots! So, it is mainly patching areas and 'spiderwebs'. I have been looking at this site and Classic Glastron and am feeling a little overwhelmed. Questions: Where to purchase my supplies? How to deal with the 'Spiderweb' areas?
I want to paint the floor/inside when I am done. Where do I buy paint and what kind. I need help from people who have been there. I have a great place to do my work and a lot of tools. I hope you can open these pics to see the areas I need to target.

photobucket.com/1960glastronfireflight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30943

My guess is if the stringers are wood they will be rotton as well.
Cut it all out, do it once and it will be right.
Nothing like having a solid boat under you.

Re: Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30944

• uga girl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
There are no soft spots in the floor, just worn spots.

Re: Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30945

That OK then.

Re:Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30949

www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/

Lots of great information in these tutorials

Check the transom, is it solid?

Re: Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30950

There are soft spots near the stern, you can see where the structure has cracked. The floor may feel solid, however, it is very likely the stringers are rotten. You may not be able to see it from the top but when running the bottom of the boat will have too much flex. Hopefully Thom can chime in here, I know he reworked his G3, he may have pics from under the floor.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30952

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice boat! I've always liked that design!

I'd be willing to bet that the floor needs replacing- Especially after seeing the third photo in your album... The cracks and 'spiderwebs' are indicators of flex, and good solid floors don't flex.

I'd also be willing to bet that the stringers are bad, too- And, It's not unlikely that the transom needs attention, even if it appears to be solid. As a minimum, do yourself a favor and do some exploratory drilling to make sure....

If you take the time now to do it right, you'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble, and money later.... If the floor even has the beginnings of rot in it, it will spread, and before long you'll be replacing it. Why not just do it now?

A for supplies, everyone has their favorites... I use U.S. composites for my epoxy and fiberglass. They also sell poly resin, but I can't vouch for that as I've never used it. Their pricing is great, and the product is as well.

When it comes to paint, you'll have all kinds of options- A lot will depend on how much you want to spend, and what you're after... You can do anything from rolling on a coat of Rust-o-leum to spraying a high dollar multipart paint... It's kind of up to you how much you want to put in to it.

Re:Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30970

• uga girl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
So, it seems that a new floor/stringers may be in order and I get where everyone is coming from to make that guess. But, until that can be done, which will probably be the winter, and since I want to use my boat this summer, should I do anything? It is not going to bother me that there are some rough spots on the floor this summer and I probably should not throw money into repairs that are only going to be cosmetic and temporary. Thoughts?

Re:Need some advice for my first project..... 13 years 5 months ago #30971

• uga girl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I guess another question should be ...how much time should I expect to spend to replace the floor? I have started reading in the tutorials, but have not found floor replacement yet. Transom seems solid and okay, but I will check it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6713 guests and no members online