• Page:

TOPIC: Glass Clown Boats website

Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30762

• cawrsfm
  • cawrsfm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone know if or when Jamil Mehdi's site will be up and running again? I understood he was aiming for early April. It was a goldmine for reference materials and I am looking for his transom article.

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30764

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Dude its all under the fiberglassics restoration pages seen here...
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/ Mike

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30766

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The message on the screen now when you try to access that website reads;

"Go away."

Mark

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30768

Must be something you said or did Mark, doesn't do that to me. :laugh:

Frank

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30779

I get the same thing;

Go Away!

Glassclownboats.com

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30780

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I get it too.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30786

well it just simple says...
Go away.

Now as far as his "articles" go, if you ever listen to them in the "spoken-word" using text to speech like I have, I get the impression that he may have "edited" his own article on his IPAD while riding his mountain bike on a four lane and then failed to make the "corrected" edits before publishing it , in my own honest opinion.

I even coined a new term for it, "distracted writing".

Not saying he may have had some -good- points or some really off-the-wall points, just in both case's over all he failed to explain in detail the concepts he was trying to write about.

Case in point "cardboard"...as a building material in a transom (or) Stringer, leaving it to the difficultly to cut it to shape, which I had to re-listen to that over and over again only to ask, compared to what Wood, fiberboard, Structural-foam?

the read never went into much explanatory reasoning.

The funny of the statement about cardboard for me was with the cobia's rebuild, we been using cardboard "blanks" from a factory to "model" the stringers depth from the "deck" down to the sole of the hull for we get the signature profile of the stringer, finding cardboard is to hard to cut-to-shape has left me rather confused.

The read you looking for is on a really good website that has a vast amount of information in it's library.

Transoms-Floors and Stringers repair

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30827

• cawrsfm
  • cawrsfm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the reminder guys. Found it! I thought I saw it somewhere else before... :blush:

I think his articles are rather well illustrated and written. An invaluable resource for new guys to this sport (like me).

Cheers,
Andrew

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30866

houston wrote:

well it just simple says...

Go away.

Now as far as his "articles" go, if you ever listen to them in the "spoken-word" using text to speech like I have, I get the impression that he may have "edited" his own article on his IPAD while riding his mountain bike on a four lane and then failed to make the "corrected" edits before publishing it , in my own honest opinion.

I even coined a new term for it, "distracted writing".

Not saying he may have had some -good- points or some really off-the-wall points, just in both case's over all he failed to explain in detail the concepts he was trying to write about.

Case in point "cardboard"...as a building material in a transom (or) Stringer, leaving it to the difficultly to cut it to shape, which I had to re-listen to that over and over again only to ask, compared to what Wood, fiberboard, Structural-foam?

the read never went into much explanatory reasoning.

The funny of the statement about cardboard for me was with the cobia's rebuild, we been using cardboard "blanks" from a factory to "model" the stringers depth from the "deck" down to the sole of the hull for we get the signature profile of the stringer, finding cardboard is to hard to cut-to-shape has left me rather confused.

The read you looking for is on a really good website that has a vast amount of information in it's library.

Transoms-Floors and Stringers repair

Actually it was updated from:
really?

To:
Go away

Just out of curiosity, would this be another example of "distracted writing"? ;)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30874

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't know what has happened in Jamil's life to cause such a drastic change in course. I personally felt like he made an honest attempt to further the hobby, and help newbies learn the in's and out's from his own experiences. Whether you agree with his restoration and repair methods or not, like or dislike his writing style, the bottom line is he put forth a lot of effort to help others who shared the love of the Glassics. Best wishes on your future Jamil, wherever you are. ;)

Just my two cents worth, I'll go sit on the time out bench now. :P

Mark

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30875

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am with you on this Mark.
Jamil had made contributions here that will help future projects get done faster, better, and with less headaches. With the experience he holds in this field, his inputs have, and will continue to help many people with their projects.
Whatever personal issues he may be working through, I hope him the best.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30876

Just out of curiosity, would this be another example of "distracted writing"?

hahaha I too was thinking how Ironic that post

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30888

Mark/Neil,
I completely concur. His contributions have helped me immensely! I can't thank him enough. Jamil, if you read this thank you very much bud!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30951

what I was correcting was the "Go away!", which wasn't "Go away!", rather just "Go Away."

The read I have had so much problems with is "Transoms, Floors, and Stringers" which I guess it is just me with this read because the read as it stands is not about what the title would imply, rather it is just about transom repair as jamil noted in the thread about the book when I inquired about it.

anyone ever see a Floor in a boat?

How about the sole of the hull?

If you really want me to point out mistakes in this "great read" I can.

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30956

what I was correcting was the "Go away!", which wasn't "Go away!", rather just "Go Away."

The read I have had so much problems with is "Transoms, Floors, and Stringers" which I guess it is just me with this read because the read as it stands is not about what the title would imply, rather it is just about transom repair as jamil noted in the thread about the book when I inquired about it.

anyone ever see a Floor in a boat?

How about the sole of the hull?

If you really want me to point out mistakes in this "great read" I can.

Dont be a grammar cop...some may feel your writing has a convoluted flow...its was his effort thats appreciated

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30961

I am sure if effort would have had anything to do with it, the read would have been better. I am not being a grammar cop and yes my written does have a convoluted flow, thanks for noticing.

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30962

nm
Attachments:

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30967

No ron, it not Popcorn time...

the point is with the read -as is- would be is, after your done with it could you actually fix,repair or replace any part of your boat? No.

Does it go into any detail on how to actually -DIY- a transom replacement? No.

Does it go in to any detail on how to repair, remove and replace stringers? No.

does it go into any basic terms of what parts go in to the basic building concept of the skeleton support of the sole of the hull, No?

the read is really about the "best products" to use for such projects, and then doesn't go in to any detail about how to use them, let alone the proper way to cut and install.

No way am I even being close to being critical about or nick picking, the read -in it self- in my opinion is not a substantial read on repairing or replacing anything in, on or around a boat.

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30974

Well like Madprops said it's the effort that's appreciated. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and that's it. I think this should probably stop here before it gets ugly. I think it's already starting to head that way. Just my 2 cents worth take it or leave it. ;)

Bob

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30977

well I am always up for a good debate about a subject, but for some it sounds as if it may be an argument, which this isn't, at least I don't want it to sound that way.

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #30979

I liked Jamil's work and thought his writing was very informative. He has a creative style that is all his own for sure. I personally enjoy it, but that's my .02 cents. I never really took his writing as an all inclusive repair manual. I used it as supplementel reading. I have a few boat/fiberglass repair books that I consider foundation material.

I'm a left brain guy who needs some exposure to creativity and artistic styling every once in a while. It keeps the left side of my brain from eating the right side.

Re:Glass Clown Boats website 13 years 5 months ago #31334

Bwana Don wrote:

It keeps the left side of my brain from eating the right side.

yea, I know when ever that happens to me I just head up to the mountain and sit by the lake.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7504 guests and one member online