Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help identify this glassic

Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30513

I am new here. Looking to restore a 1960 something cabin cruiser. I found this hull for almost free. I don't know what it is. Its worth restore and buying original outboard when I find out what it is.
[img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/3kd3ma3p35V45X15R0b4f81ca37633e161dd7-20110423.jpg
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30514

took a minute to figure how to post pic

Attachments:

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30537

new pictures of boat, looked at it this morning looked solid, almost all there. Looks to be top piece and bottom. Held together by molding. A: is this molding replaceable? B: back half of boat was cut!? (knuckle head) can this be joined or will it always break? P.S. Not scared of glass work!

Attachments:

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30538

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A: The water line graphic stripe is common to LARSON , Here is big LINK to our library www.fiberglassics.com/library/Larson
. We were just north of Orlando a few weeks ago with our mid 60 cuddy cabin at the Mt Dora show. You have a very nice hull there.

Any outboard that is reliable will serve you well. Does not always have to be from 1960, There are some factory brochures at the very bottom of the library LINK. A 70 hp from the mid 70's would work , as some of trhe early four stroke motors, to enjoy the chain of lakes in your region.
AGAIN CONGRATS

PS, Side moulding or soft Rub Rail can be re-ordered, NOS may be expensive, look for Old Stock , I had got some in Tampa DON SALVAGE, quite cheap... Back Cut .?? NOt sure your comment, early 60's were two different lenght outboard's. If your vertical height of transom NOW is about 16 INches , someone cut down for a Short Shaft version. Current standard now should measure 21 inches on your boat.

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30539

Here its the damage done by knucklehead. Hope they didn't ruin this boat. If some tells me this is fixable I'll bring her home.
Attachments:

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30542

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A: Looks like someone was going to make a OPEN style sunliner style out of the cuddy boat.? Just a saw cut that can be glassed back together .? Tought to see in the small pic.

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30543

it looks like someone cut that loose to get at the transom to fix it,the transom is probably soft,and instead of lifting the whole deck,they cut the gunnels,so check the transom for rot,if there is a motor on it ,then put it in the up postion,then push up and down on the lower unit,to see if the transom gives,then if you can stick an awl into the transom wood.

if the splashwell is cut loose like it looks like ,lift it off and check the transom from there,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30544

Thanks so much for identifying this Larson!! knuckle head cut the top to instal inboard!!!???
Yeah, that's why I named him knucklehead, then shaved off curving glass (lip) that the molding went over. If someone with experience tells me this is fixable I'll do it!
p.s. I found this larson, the hull is different but the top canopy and windows are identical!
www.billscars.com/Boat%20Pages/1961LarsonSeaLionHTP.htm

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30545

I think you are right about transom...not really scared of repairing transom, its the top deck repair that concerns me.will I be able to repair that cut and not have it crack in the future?

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30604

Here's a pic. of a 1962 All-American w/factory hardtop... :)
Attachments:

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30606

Thanks knee boarding tom for the great pic! So iis mine an all american with cuddy cabin option, worth the restoration?

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30614

I'd say it's worth it. It boils down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like the boat and if you have the time, energy and resources, then it makes sense.

One thing is that you always learn something when working on boats.

Hello, World!!

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 5 months ago #30667

after a little more research I doubted this was an all-american because it's listed as 16ft, my boat is 19ft.?? bow its taller and longer than all-american pictured. Is the same hardtop, same hard top on sea lion. I believe the hard top is taller. Curves back just a bit to accommodate. The wood for back of cuddy cabin.
[img/][img] [img/]

Re:Help identify this glassic 13 years 4 months ago #31735

Mine is a 1962 model. I think yours is a year or two earlier than mine, and it could be a 186 instead of a 166. I'm not sure if you would consider it rare or not, but I've seen less than 4 or 5 with the factory hardtops.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7478 guests and one member online