Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what?

Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30510

So over the weekend I'm letting the dog out for his morning business as usual and I happen to look over at the yard one house over from ours and happened to notice what looked like a boat under a tarp behind a shed. Long story short I asked them about it and they told me that they bought it about five years ago (it was last registered in 2006) from a friend with the intention of fixing it up and running it out on the two reservoirs in the area. I went over to look at it today and though it had a tarp over it water got into it but we pulled the drain plug and the floor looks ok, but I'm no fiberglass expert. The rest of the hull looked ok as well (it's been sitting on a trailer), but what could have happened to it from sitting all these years? Does fiberglass "rot?" I've found a little information on MFG boats, mainly that they are somewhat of a classic-I really know nothing about them. I'm hoping to get pics up soon. Basically I'm just looking for a very simple boat to take my family out on the reservoirs and the upper Delaware River-nothing fancy. Any other MFG owners around?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30517

Nice to see that you may have found a prize but obviously there is no advice anyone can give you without more info and pictures. Check the library link here to figure out more about the boat.

MFG's have been around a long time. I believe that the most collectable and valuable are those in those transition times when they started into the fiberglass age(around 60) and had fiberglass hulls that looked like lapstrake but still had wooden decks and seats. If you think you have that I will post pics of a couple my buddy has.

Maybe this is one of them but without more who knows?

Good luck.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30533

They are built like tanks. The pressed the glass under pressure and let it cure. Well made boats.

www.glassicsonline.com/mfgboats.htm
Some info on molded Fiberglass Boat Co

Lots of info here on this site in the library too.

Re:Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30560

Bwana Don wrote:

They are built like tanks. The pressed the glass under pressure and let it cure. Well made boats.

www.glassicsonline.com/mfgboats.htm
Some info on molded Fiberglass Boat Co

Lots of info here on this site in the library too.

I checked out the library and found a lot of literature on the Carefree model. Once I get the title I can figure out what year it is and maybe find out some more specifics. Does the way MFG made their boats make them any less prone to water getting into the stringers and rotting them out? From what I've seen so far the transom has probably started to rot, but that's as far as I can tell without getting into it. Are these "shoebox" type boats where the top lifts off to reveal the structure underneath? I found a good set of youtube videos from a guy who is restoring a '70s era fiberglass boat (not sure of the make) that are giving me a pretty good idea of what I'm in for:

Re:Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30581

I will suggest a book to help you out.

"Runabout Renovation"
How to Fix Up an
Old Fiberglass Speedboat
by; Jim Anderson

Also there are some good tutorials here on this site. This site is a gold mine for fixing up an oldie. You probably need a transom or floor and stringers.

Your boat will be worth about half of what you put into it. They are a great investment.:)

Re:Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30629

Bwana Don wrote:

Your boat will be worth about half of what you put into it. They are a great investment.:)

Thanks! This boat is not intended to be an investment in the monetary sense. My wife is four months pregnant and the day I bring that child out on the water for the first time will be one of the happiest days of my life B)

Re:Free to me 14' MFG Carefree-now what? 13 years 5 months ago #30671

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. I've been restoring an old Starcraft boat and my 7 year old son is helping. Very cool project that has brought a lot of joy to us.

I'm planning on spalshing her around June 1st. There will be much celebration. Mom appreciates the alone time while we are fishing or tinkering, so everyone wins.

Boats are like hotrods, you almost always lose money on them. Just kidding on the investment. Good therapy though.

Good luck.
Don

PS; Here's another book suggestion.
"The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual"
Allan H. Vaitses

I paid $9.83 (plus ship) at half.com and it looks brand new.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6724 guests and no members online