Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Blue Tinted windsheild replacement

Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30400

I have a 73 Chrysler Conqueror that has a blue tinted windsheild, The windsheild is hazy and has several cracks. I would like to repair or replace but don't know what or where I could find a suitable replacement or how to repair the cracks. I thought about making from clear lexan and painting with a candy transparent blue paint or possibly a tint applied. The wind sheild has a curve in it as it goes from front to back and is in a left and right halves all enclosed in a frame. Any ideas or suggestions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30405

I wish I knew.. Let me now if you find out.. I have a 77 with no windshield. I was also going to make a lexan but dont have anything to go by.. Good luck..

Re:Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30447

I had the same issue with my Chrysler....fine cracking...mostly because previous owner used the windshield frame to support a ridge pole under a tarp(no a good idea around here with all the heavy snow). I sure miss my Conquerer. This is what you are looking for right? Sorry I have no source for you either. Good luck.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30452

I have looked at a lot of tinted Plexiglass. Transparent blue is readily available. Here is one site:

www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Colored_Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Transparent

Choosing the right thickness is key, to be able to cold form it to the curves you need. If you need to use heat to form it, things get a little more complicated.

I have found that the absolute best way to cut the shape, is to create a template in plywood (from your existing plastic), then place your new plex on top and clamp it.. then use a router with an edging bit (like you use on formica) and you will get a clean cut without any chipping or follow on prep required.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30455

Wouldn't it have to be awfully thin plywood in this case to get the curved shape? I like the clamp/router idea but what about just using the existing windshield(in the the frame still for that matter) and clamp the new plexi directly to it for the first cut?
Just a thought...

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30464

this might help you out,i plan on doing this to my boats,i dont know who the author is,i wish i knew,its a good artical,john
www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-5/wl43-windshield1.html and here is a link to colored plexiglass www.jfreeman.com/acrylic_polycarbonate.html
and here is a link to dying it,im not sure it would last long,and you would have to use a container big enough,plus add more dye,this link is for smaller pieces. www.ehow.com/how_5939423_dye-plexiglas.html i hope these help,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Blue Tinted windsheild replacement 13 years 5 months ago #30992

Barnfinder,

I would use a roll of paper to trace the original windshield, then transfer it to the template plywood (like 3/8 to 1/2 inch) then cut it out. The plex is then clamped to the flat plywood template then cut with the router. Once you have the cut piece, then shape it cold or with heat if needed.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6635 guests and no members online