• Page:

TOPIC: Aristocraft funliner Transom?

Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 5 months ago #30123

• stashm2
  • stashm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
My father and I have begun work on the 1963 funliner, It is rough. I am wondering if anyone else has pics of repairing a funliner's transom.
Mine has been cut down I intend to build it back up. My main question is how to separate the splash-well and the inner transom. they are two pices at the top and the bottom but seem very fused. Well here are some pictures any input would be great, and pictures of other Aristocraft transom structure would be great.
Thanks
Jesse
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 5 months ago #30125

Jesse ..........

I am doing much the same thing to my 1964 Evinrude Sport 16. I used a jig saw and a Roto-Zip with a 3-1/2" circular blade to remove the end caps of the splash well/top cap to gain access from above.

Now I can get in through the top with a 14" electric chain saw to remove the wood (and hopefully not the fiberglass!).

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 5 months ago #30186

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I hope to remove the splashwell this weekend and that should show all the cored area to be replaced. I dont think it exstends past the "fins" its just a small portion that is a wooden core the rest is solid fiberglass from what I read and what I can see.
Thanks

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 5 months ago #30358

The splash well on our '63, which included molded in rear seats, was screwed in all along the transom and around to the rear fin area. It was also tabbed to the deck with a couple pieces of matt under the seat area, which required sliding a sawzall blade in sideways and carefully cutting the glass. Finally the drain tube had to be removed, then the whole assembly slid out. Our transom was fine, we had to remove the splashwell to access a steering cable guide pulley that had come off, way up inside.

Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 5 months ago #30359

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you for the pic and information! Some one had "repaired" Mine at some point and bound the splashwell and transom so we will see how it comes out! most of the wood core just floated out of the transom when we were washing it...

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43577

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Has anyone done a transom on an aristo? I want to do it and have it come out not looking butchered I would like to not have to cut the inner pannel all up but looks like it will have to be to get it right I dont think I can get the inner surface good enough for a clean bond just going in from the top..

Any ideas here?
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43579

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I would try to chisel and sand it smooth. The glue will take up small imperfections. What about making a clamping system using this idea. Park the boat next to a wall, cut sticks to wedge against the new transom and the wall.

www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Clamps,_support_tools/Go-bar_Clamping_System.html?tab=Pictures#details
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43581

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Interesting. May work I just dont want to cut the inner transom wall due to how its all bonded together and textured not like most other runabouts with jsut glassed over wood. Again thanks for all the input.

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43609

stashm,have you thought of pouring the transom?if so ,this may sound terrible,but if you use (carefully,lol)an electric chainsaw you can get most of the rotten wood out.
then it is time for a chisel cut off and welded to a steel shaft to get the lower corners.
dont forget to remove the drain tubes,before hand,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43615

I would also consider a pourable transom.
I did use Seacast on my Starcraft. I learned a lot, and if you don't want to cut out the inner skin, get out as much wood as you can. Let the rest dry, and pour. I did it backwards and cut the outer hull off.

The recent Rustoleum thread is inspiring me to paint that ugly transom.

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43726

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK the old Transom is out! It was very easy just like another thread said screw an eye hook in and pull out the old transom. It is made out of a 2 x 6 and a 2 X 10 it seems hard wood of some sort but solid boards not ply, both parts pulled right out and were the homes of a bunch of carpenter ants. I am going to replace with a built up plywood transom this weekend and throw the old girl back together give it a good cleaning and see what will Buff Out! well heres some pics. Lots more cleaning and sanding to do in there!
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43910

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I cleaned the boat all cleaned up and sanded down in the void where the transom goes, cut a new one and got it in. Heres a couple pics.
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43911

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great job ;)

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 1 month ago #43925

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' good Jesse. The boat cleaned up pretty nice, and got the transom in too! Nice weekend's worth of work my man. ;)

Mark

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 4 weeks ago #43929

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys! Slowly building the cap back up on it and glassing in all the old bolt holes Hope to get it wet before the end of the season! wont be great looking but I will get it as cleaned up as I can without a repaint!
Transome is good and solid now thats for sure!

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 4 weeks ago #43936

Ya did good Jesse, looks that like that baby will do great! What are you hanging on it?

Frank

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 4 weeks ago #43941

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Your work looks great stashm!Your transom's going to be strong.From what I've seen,the red was the worst color to turn dark on these boats. The blue, aqua and beige colored ones stayed close to their true color.Mine turned dark under a shed! I had mine painted in 1979 with imron. Real close to original color.

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 4 weeks ago #43943

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Great job, puttin' the rest of us to shame. Keep it up.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 4 weeks ago #43982

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Guys! Yeah that red turned a nice even Maroon if I can get it to look Evenly Maroon I am fine with that for now. For the moment it will either get the 1968 500 or the 1968 1250 :-)

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 4 weeks ago #43990

great job jessie,you even made it look easy,it looks great,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44294

Go with the big engine - you can never have too much power! I put a Merc 100 hp on my Funliner and it handles the power just fine,

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44329

Jesse,
She's coming together nicely, great job!
Bob

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44356

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Been bussy after work all week I hope to have her back together this weekend and figure out what trailer to put it on..... I dont seem to have any to fit a funliner any one have a need for a short Tee Nee in trade for a trailer that can handle a funliner?

fiberglassics.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=62&func=view&catid=13&id=40462

IT had a 14 foot wagemaker on it, and has a home made registration..

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44657

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well Just a little more progress... Weathers been less than nice this week. And it seems we have pased from Summer to Fall this week :-( But here is some more progress I have caped the transom and amin the process of filling all the old bolt holes then using some resin gelly to build up sand and paint the area I am working in. I dont have time ... or weather to repaint the whole hull... Maybe in the future I just want it to be usable at this point.
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44700

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
This is what I love about FG. A guy is doing a project and asks a question about doing it. At least three other members offer advice on techniques, materials, who else to contact, etc. And no one is looking to get paid for their hard earned advice, either. Its a great credit to the people who just love old boats and helping others do the same. My hats off to you all!!!

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44716

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
stashm2 wrote:

Well Just a little more progress... Weathers been less than nice this week. And it seems we have pased from Summer to Fall this week :-( But here is some more progress I have caped the transom and amin the process of filling all the old bolt holes then using some resin gelly to build up sand and paint the area I am working in. I dont have time ... or weather to repaint the whole hull... Maybe in the future I just want it to be usable at this point.

I have not seen an aristo with the battery tray on the right side. That's different. You don't have any extra inside steps you'd be interested in selling? :)

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 13 years 3 weeks ago #44817

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I do have an inside step I have not decided if I want to use it or not. Its Black. Sorry I dont have a better picture but you can kind of see it there. I think it has a crack in the step. If I dont use it I will offer it out for sale or trade. Thanks.
Attachments:

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 12 years 11 months ago #49597

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I finnaly got the Boat back together! Sorry for no new pics. Used 3M 5200 around the joint.. what a sticky mess that stuff is in the cold.. New Fastiners all around, Came out alot better than I had anticipated.. I only did a transom and made the boat usable not a gem by any means but shoudl be a good usable boat for the spring. It will have my 1968 1250 Merc with Pt&t should be fun!. Also the black Aristo in the pic above will be looking for a home at some point if anyone is looking for one. No seats... or roof, has a relatively butchered dash, an ok splashwell and all aluminum trim I am not sure what windsheild it will have once I get things together on the other. All the wood has been removed from the transom, which was cut down looking how the transom was constructed I dont see any way it could be a good stron build being cut down as it is. That would leave very little wood to connect the center transom to the ... Cheaks?? I think thats the right term, of the hull and transom. Well thats a long enough ramble for today! Thanks all for the input!

Re:Aristocraft funliner Registration Woes.. 11 years 5 months ago #76997

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Spent two Thursday nights at the DMV waiting in line from 4:45 to 7.. had the original Reg, pile of bills of sales all my paperwork.. Missing one bill of sale from the 1980's you cant register this.. but you can use a DMV-53b? something like that... Go in tonight picture of the Hull ID # filled out papers rubbing of the hull #, that's not a hull number its only 4 digits... ( yeah its from 1963 ) its not good enough you need to have parks and rec issue a new hull id. And the original reg isn't right.. its says 1963 AR/CA that's for artic cat not aristocraft.. &*%&$%*(^&)(&^%#^#$&^% Then she went on to tell me its an invalid registration as it must have been put in wrong..( the reg id from 1988 ) also wouldn't believe it sat around since then in the woods I must be lying.. WTF! And that my HIN isn't a hull id as there are no aristocrafts with an hull id like that... H109... Sorry for the vent.. any one have any input here.? I am about to go cut it up as I don't have time to fight with the DMV, I thought I had all the paperwork I needed, I don't know how to proceed here.. Oh and it was the branch Manager.....

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 11 years 5 months ago #77010

• MarkS
Some folks have had good luck going through another state to get a registration Jesse, then transferring that to their home state. Do a forum search on "Wisconsin". ;)

Mark

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 11 years 5 months ago #77015

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yeah I was just trying to do it the correct way.. Especialy since I have the old Reg.. I have one registered with Wisconsin already, I will probably do that with this and out G3 just to not give NYS the $$. Do you see any reason not to run a boat with the Wisconsin Reg? Truthfuly I am only out with them once a week at most. I know there are rules about if its in the water for X number of days you have to register it in that state.... Just wondering what people think about Runing an out of state Reg in NYS?

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 11 years 5 months ago #77020

• MarkS
I thought the idea was to transfer them to your home state once registration was issued in WI, as it would be much easier at that point? I feel for you, guess I should count myself as very lucky that GA doesn't give much hassle in this area.

The exception was (as some may remember) if you transfer a boat in from a state that required titles, you had to have the last title signed over to you before they would proceed. Here again I was fortunate to have that documentation in hand so it wasn't an issue.

It would be a shame to have to give up on that project my friend, sincere best wishes for a quick and relatively painless resolution.

Mark

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 11 years 5 months ago #77022

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I went through sort of the same thing with one of my motorcycles. I didn't have the title for it but a met a guy from VT and he just needed a bill of sale to get a new title. So I "sold" my bike to him, got the documents and "sold" it back to me. All for a small fee of course. Could this possibly work in your scenario?

-Brian

Re:Aristocraft funliner Transom? 8 years 11 months ago #116339

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Does anyone have interest in this Black Aristocraft Haul? with Wind Shield cracked in upper corner. no roof. No seats. If some one can use it for parts I would rather than than cut it up. I am keeping the White Aristocraft and the black roof. Located in Albany NY area. Shoot me a Message if interested.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online