Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1963 Tomahawk Advice

1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30119

Am new to forum... Looking at purchasing a 1963 Tomahawk with a 1954 25hp Johnson motor on it. Boat has been repainted as well as trailer. Was wondering if you can give me any advice on what to look for on the boat before purchasing. The motor has been serviced (owner says he spent $500 on it)but having now high speed control knob problem. As is, the owner wants $1000 for it. Any words of advice and experience with this boat as a fishing boat? What's a nice Tomahawk worth? It is missing the windshield. Thanks for whatever help you can give!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30182

I bought an re-did a 59 Tomahawk Spirit. The transom is the key thing in all vintage glass boats. If it is soft, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Fortunately mine was solid. There seemed to be a lot of small holes in the fiberglass (bubbles?)once I removed the paint. Filled those and repainted with good stuff. I'm not sure the Spirit would be that great a fishing boat. The sides are high compared to most fishing boats. However, I've never tried it. Good luck.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30188

Pictures help a lot. I love this boat but. 1000 sounds high. Unless fantastic motor, trailer, seats, controls, hardware, windshield. You get the idea. If you are fishing alone no problem. It is small if you are with someone else. Make sure floor and transom are solid. They usually have good transoms unless holes were not sealed. Are you sure on the year? Did I mention that good pictures help.

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30293

Thanks for the feedback!!! Owner decided not to sell the boat after all... guess it's back to hunting something else. Any thoughts on going older aluminum vs an older fiberglass boat? Any suggestions on what might be nice and different to look for? Thanks again!

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30300

For style - nothing beats fiberglass
For fixable - nothing beats fiberglass, do need some skills
For price - nothing beats fiberglass
For resale - Aluminum, there are some exceptions

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30308

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The big question is what do you want to do with it? You mentioned fishing, is that your main objective? If so then aluminum may be the way to go, usually easier to repair,transom and stringers are easy to get at.Plan on using it on local lakes or out in the ocean? What are you using as a tow vehicle which may have a bearing on how big to go. If you are into restoring or general cruising and want a boat that has people asking questions at the ramp then by all means a glassic fits the bill.Check out the glassifieds or throw up a post that your looking for a glassic and maybe your general living area to help narrow the search if thats the way you want to go.Need more info to go on in order to make specific suggestions.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30366

Am wanting to do fishing on small local lakes so really don't need anything with speed. Wanted to get something that would be different than just a plain old jon boat. I like to "tinker" with old things and thought about sticking with something in the 16' range. Saw a 16' 1959 Lonestar Saratoga that a guy has nearby for $2200 that he's restored somewhat and has a 1994 Evinrude 40 ho motor. Also, saw a 16' 1966 Starcraft with a 40 hp motor that been sitting a while for $750. Both seem pretty cool... any other thoughts? Maybe an old Glasspar?

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30368

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Going to check on a "Mass Rescue" of numerous Glassics headed for the landfil Saturday, will post pics. Maybe able to pick up something to fit your bill VERY reasonably. Will post pics this weekend hopefully. Will explain the full story at that time if it works out.

Mark

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30412

cruiser,where do you live,i live in western pa,i have a 62 glaspar lido that im giving away,but it needs almost everythng fixed,including a spring on the trailer,but the price is right.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30438

I live in North Carolina around the Charlotte area... If any one has something they are looking to get rid of and thinks it will fit the bill., let me know... Thanks again for all the help!!

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30493

For a fishing rig an old aluminum Starcraft is hard to beat. Easy fixing even if they leak. In my opinion easier to fix than a glasser.

For the cool old style, fiberglass is the bomb. Late fifties to early sixties is the best era. Tons of choices for a cruiser or ski boat.

Good luck in your search. That's half the fun.

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30499

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Cruiser
Here is a shot of a 56/57 Crestliner lumi.
I am doing this one now for a coworker. Good little fishing rig.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30512

Wow!! Nice Crestliner... I could use one of those!!

Are all 60's era Starcrafts aluminum? Maybe I should try to check out that 66 Starcraft in my area.

Thanks again!

Re:1963 Tomahawk Advice 13 years 5 months ago #30532

Starcrafts came in fiberglass and aluminum.

I could us one of those Crestliners too. +1 on the awesome.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6603 guests and no members online