Motor repair stand 13 years 5 months ago #29901

• TallTexan
  • TallTexan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is what I use while working on a motor

I can spin it around and lock it in 22.5 degrees stops
I wedge the board out to 14 degrees and made it tall enough as to where I do not have to bend over much (I am 6'6" tall) most may not want to have the 2X6 going up as high as I do but do bolt it to the flange of the mount stacking washers between the board and the flange; as to get the 14 degrees off set and to have the cross piece above the flange and not to get in the way of mounting the motor

I bought the stand at Harbor freight on sale for $49 ..I did not bolt the leg to the stand as per the manual but drilled the leg and install a quick release pin (see it above left of the fuel tank) as to be able to store it when not in use

BTW if you are going to spin the motor over 180 degrees (upside down as for LU installing) add a spacer block between the riser and the flange of the mount so the mounting bolts will clear the leg...and be sure the motor is bolted down well...and be careful...it is top heavy[/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CAVU

Re:Motor repair stand 13 years 5 months ago #29902

That's the same one I'm using, but I'm going to make some changes.

I'm going to extend the vertical by cutting it off near the bottom and welding on a piece of box channel that is a bit larger and sliding the top piece inside. Then drill a series of holes to adjust the height. That way the motor can be mounted with it's center of gravity slightly below the pivot, ensuring stability.

I have the motor bolted directly to the engine rather than trust a piece of wood. There is a 2"x2" shim at the bottom to keep the motor erect.

The way it is, if this monster ever starts going over, I won't be able to do anything but run for my life!

Re:Motor repair stand 13 years 5 months ago #29905

• TallTexan
  • TallTexan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Mounting to wood is safer then to steel...The clamps will embed their selves into the wood and not slip off

I am working on a Evinrude 25931 (1957 35 hp long shaft elect) that I just reinstall the LU today...Had it upside down ...first Long shaft that I have had on the stand...so far I have had no problems

With the riser being set so high for me (right side up) it lower the height that the LUs are when installing

BTW while upside down a bungee cord comes in handy for I do not trust the motor lock along

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6419 guests and 2 members online