• Page:

TOPIC: step by step motor stand

step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29630

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
buy a funiture dolly and take the carpet off so the glue(heavy duty liquid nails)can stick to the wood,every conection on this stand is glued and screwed together.there are 7 pics total. add 3/4 plywood to fill the side gaps and add streangth,glue and screws,(all screws are deck screws). add 2x6 sides,glued then screwed(3 1/2 inches)from the bottom up. cut one end of a 2x6 at a 5 degree angle,then cut long side to long side at 36 inches,then set it upright,and glue and screw it to the sides with 3 inch screws,this will handle a longshaft.let it lean back. do the same to the other side then add 2-2x6's or 1- 2x12,to hold and clamp the motor. now add side supports,i used 2x4's,the bottom cut is 45 degrees the top cut is 40 degrees. now add plywood to the bottom supports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29637

Nice motor stand and perfect instructions/pics.

Thanks for providing.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29639

real nice stand john. will easily support the merc 1000 your putting on the DevilRay. :) ron

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29645

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks tim,i know its not the best ever built,but it is cheap and fast to build,i bought the dolly for 15 bucks at harbor frieght and its cheaper then buying 4 castors,i have one like it holding a big 64 evinrude 75 hp,right now.
yeah ron ,lol,i have to get the motor 1st,lol,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29648

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hey john, very good idea on the enging stand. i was going to buy 2 of them to set my fleetform on when i do the deck. now that i seen your boat rack i'll have to build one also. now i'll only have to buy 1 of the dollies. you sure come up with alot of neat ideas. keep them coming for dummies like me. lol talk later . frog

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29670

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frog,but your no dummy,i know it.

---Mark Twain

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29673

The only thing I do differently John is I use two pieces of 3/4" plywood for the transom mount. (It can also be three pieces of 1/2" plywood.) Pine can split if for any reason you're leaning or putting pressure on the motor, i.e. trying to tilt an old frozen motor, plywood will not.

Frank

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29674

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
good call frank,if a person wants to they could put 1/4 "plywood on each side of the 2x"S,that would give it 2 inches thick,i may just do that,john

---Mark Twain

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29899

Well John, now you went and did it. I was sitting here the other night looking at your design for the stand and thought , hey I have 2 of those dollys. Sooo last night guess what I did. Yep, I went out and bought a Merc Mark55A. Now I will have to build one of your great stands and a couple of those folding work tables you posted. You are a very sly man John. Skip.

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29900

I need some like that for storage...however I did post a stan I use for working on a motor

CAVU

Re:step by step motor stand 13 years 5 months ago #29911

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks skipp,and it will keep you out of trouble,lol,lol.
texan,yes they work great for storage,nice and thin,doesnt take up alot of space,john

---Mark Twain

Re:step by step motor stand 9 years 10 months ago #103114

John, hope you're feeling better. I know this is an old thread, but had to tell you I'll be building one of these beauties to store my Merc 650 on. Very nice, and thanks.

Re:step by step motor stand 9 years 10 months ago #103117

The ones I build are not as easy, for they are built out of conduit, However they are made to fold up for easier storage and transporting.

The next one I build (will be 2 for I have 2 motors needing to be up off the floor) I will take photos and write a bill of material and "How To" for them.

CAVU

Re:step by step motor stand 9 years 9 months ago #103222

I look forward to seeing that Allan. How do you join the conduit?

Not trying to pirate the thread, I just like the great ideas that come out of this forum.

Re:step by step motor stand 9 years 9 months ago #103229

Yeah I'd like to see that also Allan.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online