Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kitty hair strikes again!!!

Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29357

Had a few cracks and scrapes on the deck of the Power Cat needed to get fixed. Cleaned them out, "z"ed them all real good, then filled with kitty hair. I wanted to use kitty hair because some of the cracks I wanted better adhesion than body fill would have given me. for the scrapes and nicks, well, I had lots of kitty hair mixed. In this bright sunny 62 degree day it set up quick too!

It is NOT gonna be easy to sand and fair, but the season is early yet. I gotta run out, maybe work at it later, finish tomorrow?

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29358

I wanted better adhesion than body fill would have given me

If thats a concern maybe consider sanding back that fresh red paint then do the repairs

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29361

I did. That's what I meant when I said I "z"ed them all out. (I should have said "v"ed them out huh?) You can't see it because the kitty hair overlapped. Came out okay, but there are always voids with kitty hair. Now that they're sanded and faired, next is regular fill, but it will be tomorrow, because my shoulders are shot for the day. I could never do another boat restoration!

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29362

excellent Frank I didt understand Z'd

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29363

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank before you try any fillers put on another coat of cat hair 1st. If you need to gouge out any visible void to accept the cat hair. It will fill the voids, ad strength and allow you to use less filler if any will be needed at all.
Just a thought
Jim

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29364

That's a good suggestion Jim. I'll try it. thanks!

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29376

frank,when it comes to filling after the kitty hair,you probably already know im a big fan of resin jelly,you cant tell the differnce between it and regular bondo,when it comes to mixing,fillig and sanding ,it sands very smooth,and its made for fiberglass.john,by the way looking great frank,i always liked the fact that you take your time and do them right,it hard to have patience when doing body work and paint.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29381

Ya know John, I got a gallon of that stuff around somewhere. I should find it and give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29384

Old Mr prefection at it again. Frank I don't think you will ever get done with that boat. You are going to always find something wrong with it to fix or redo. And you back and sholders are going to give all the way out then you will have to quit and be happy with it the way it is. I may be old but I remember when you first started restoring this boat. I'm 70 now just can't do everything the way I might like it. I will be back at work on the Club Lido and start work on the G3 this spring. They may not look as perfect as the work you do but will look nice.
Don't keep hurting your self
Mike

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29385

I agree with you Mike. But right now I can do it, it's not much, and it will look better. Some of the work is necessary because we used it so much last year. Given the price of high test, I don't think that's gonna happen again this year!

So what's next - the Club Lido or the G3?

I'm gonna go take a good hot bath!

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29388

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
So what exactly is the Kitty Hair?
Just wondering.

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29404

jessie its a bondo type filler with fiberglass strands in it,for strength,around my way we call it tiger hair,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Came out good! 13 years 5 months ago #29431

Primer from last year was shot, but I wasn't surprised. Pre-kote goes bad real quick in my experience. So I brushed on some Brightsides just to protect it till I can remove hardware and wet sand the deck. That might happen today, not sure.

Man o man, this body work stuff always takes like 5 times more time than I think it should!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29548

John, Thank you so much for clarifying that. My long-haired cat was getting a bit nervous!

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29552

lol.mel.yeah all of our cats are bald.

---Mark Twain

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29553

yep,frank,but it looks good!i have alot to do to the fish,a big hole and trying to smooth out where you can see the weave of the matting,plus it looks like someone ran a grinding wheel all over it.
it always takes more time then you think ,but i can see your going to make it worth it,great job,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29556

Thanks John, doing okay. Wanted to remove deck hardware tonight, but a plumbing job called my name, and now I'm lame. Maybe tomorrow.

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29592

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Not to be a smart butt But did you know if Bondo or Cats hair sets up to fast it builds and traps Moisture undernieth it ?? Did you ever grind Bondo off of a car to find rust undernieth it ? Or have bondo pop louse and be rusty ? I know a boat cant rust but it could cause problems with it adhereing to the Glass or get Bubbles or blistering latter on .Excuse my spelling Its late and Im tired .

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29596

Good point. I didn't know that, thanks.

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29598

hmmmm,i have never seen it but,it does make sense,because it gets hot while curing and it mught make moisture,good one bobo,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29613

Seems to me I always mix that stuff so it doesn't set up quick, then it does!

Frank

Re:Kitty hair strikes again!!! 13 years 5 months ago #29660

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
PC1000 wrote:

Seems to me I always mix that stuff so it doesn't set up quick, then it does!

Frank

You and 50 million other people including myself ...L.O.L...I worked in a Pro Body shop pretty much of 10 years and I still do it at times to .I will take it off if its the first coat . Other mistakes people make are Not prepping the metal Properly .Ive seen guys blow it off then slap the Old mud on .Problem is you still have some dust in the sanding marks and maybe oils from your hands or compressor .Proper way is to blow the area off Then wipe it down with prep solv or denatured Alcohol just like you do before you shoot paint .Lacquer thinner is suppose to be a NO NO to .It can leave a film behind that can react with the Putty .Dont apply Putty to something thats to hot from sitting in the sun .And leave it sit a day or 2 before you paint . Even thow you can sand it Doesnt mean its fully cured and will shirnk after it cures .Theres also Wall Mart , Auto Zone Bondo putty and Good Putty .Good Putty like evercoat sands tons faster and doesnt clog your paper up . Cost more sometimes But good Paper isnt cheap either . Youll save on the back side and get better feather edgeing with less work .Ive seen guys spend $100s on paint and primer and need the best of the best but Not Worry that much about how they prep underneith it .Just like a house the paint is only as good as the foundation . OK Im off of my Soap Box Now ...L.O.L..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6334 guests and 2 members online