Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout

1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29351

Hello All...

I bought this boat and am attempting to identify it. It is a 1965 Corsair of approximately 16'. It is a pretty nice hull, and all fittings are intact and the interior is in relatively nice condition, although the seating upholstery appears to not be new.

I know that Chris Craft made a Corsair model, but there are no markings to identify it as a Chris Craft. I saw on an earlier thread that a "Walls" Corsair of similar vintage sold on ebay last month.

If anyone can assist with a better ID of these boats, and this model, or point me in the right direction to do more research, it would be appreciated.

Here is a link to many more photos:

www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/03cc0e4891
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29360

Welcome aboard!

I do not see any similarities with a 1960s Chris-Craft Corasir in the pictres to which you link.

Could "Corsair" be the brand name, the manufacturer?

There probably were many boat manufacturers that had a model called Corsair.

Andreas

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29400

Thanks Andreas...You are right, Corsair could be the name of many manufacturer models.

It is curious however that this was a 1965 model and came out the same year as the Chris Craft.

Has anyone heard of Walls as a boat manufacturer?
Attachments:

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29401

Hey nice looking boat whatever it is and boy do I love that Hobbie that you have in the other album on your share site. I have never heard of them but boy are they cool. I can imagine a following similar to the Whaler crowd. Very nice detailed restoration also.

Good luck with the Corsair

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29410

I have never heard of a boat manufacturer by the name of "Walls." Sorry.

The fiberglass Chris-Craft Corsair line was introduced for the 1963 model year. They were made at Cortland, NY by Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Chris-Craft. Chris-Craft Thompson continued to use the Corsair name for this line until about 1967 when they changed it to the Lancer line.

Andreas

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29424

Thank you, Andreas. Well, I guess my Corsair manufacturer remains somewhat of a mystery!

I will continue to research and report back!

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #29425

barnfinder wrote:

Hey nice looking boat whatever it is and boy do I love that Hobbie that you have in the other album on your share site. I have never heard of them but boy are they cool. I can imagine a following similar to the Whaler crowd. Very nice detailed restoration also.

Good luck with the Corsair

Tim

Tim, the Hobie "Power Skiff" was an amazing hull design. They are great boats and I appreciate the comment on my restoration. I have done several Whalers as well...and you will never hear anything but praise about Boston Whalers from me. However, the Hobie Skiffs are really special.

Best,
JB
Attachments:

Re:1965 Corsair Fiberglass 16' Runabout 13 years 5 months ago #30005

Found an entry for "Corsair Marine, Fort Worth, Texas" in a US Armed Forces Technical Information Agency listing dated 29 October 1962. It lists makers of fiberglass boats in USA at that time.

In Peter Hunn's book "Tail Fins and Two Tones" there is an entry under makers of aluminum boats for "Corsair Boats, Inc., 10400 Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas (1955)." That's the only information listed.

So...maybe your Corsair fiberglass boat was built in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6686 guests and no members online