Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: overwhelmed,i have to give it up.

overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29219

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
hi all,ihave come to the conclusion that im just not able to do anymore then my own boat,im overwhelmed with 4 of my own boats,boy it happened so fast.and im not in good shape anymore,i like to think im good but im just lying to myself,i have had 3 heart attacks and have heart disease,emphysema,and arthritis.

so i have decieded to only do 1 boat this year ,my own boat,the last boat was alot of strain on me .

so im going to do away with gibson boat restoration,ill leave it up until the 16th so i can say bye to some of you.

it was just to much for me and i havent even done anything yet.

i want to thank dave for doing such a great job on my site,thanks buddy your a great guy.

im going back to just being me,thanks to all of you,and to skip,mark,paul and bob,im sending your stuff on monday,thank you guys.
im still going to do my own boats,but i have to slow way down and take my time,ill do the most challenging one 1st.
but if anyone needs something small done and im able to do it,i will,free of charge,john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29220

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
by the way im not quiting fg,just my so called "business",i like it here too much to quit fg,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29221

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
wow. main thing here is to take care of yourself John and have fun with all of us out here. Take it at your pace and enjoy.

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29222

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks jim,thats my plan,im too stressed out,and its taking a toll on me,i think ill hang around with you guys,and there are so many of you to thank ,for everything you have done,im afraid if i start to list you all,i might forget someone,but you know who you are ,thank you my friends,john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29223

I am real sorry to hear that John. I know that your heart is in the right place and you really care about the boating community.I understand what you are going through, it took me 8 hrs yesterday just to get half of my new floor fiberglassed in. It used to only take me just a couple of hrs to do the whole job. I guess we all have to find a time to say that we have done all we can do. I know that is hard to do sometimes but it happens. I hope that you are able to finnish your boats and are able to enjoy then. Take care and we will keep it touch. Thanks, Skip.

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29225

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks skip,yep,your right,i just had to admit it.and your horn will be on the way soon,john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29226

john, i was skeptical when you were taking on all this work. couldn't quite understand why you wanted it with your state of health. just slow down and take care of yourself, i will see you at Hammondsport. ron

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29227

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,i will be seeing you before that,i hope,im planing on fixing the crack in your boat,it wont be too hard to do,im planing on having my nephew do the hard work,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29237

John,
As Clint Eastwood once said" A man's got to know his limitations"! Absolutely you must take care of yourself first and foremost. your lovely wife does not want to be a widow I'm sure. So I guess that means the shirts are collectors items already!!!!! I'm sure glad i sent you mine already. ;) Still can't wait to see how your boats come out. As I've said before I'm sure they will come out excellent, buddy.

Bob

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29238

geez...never thought about the shirts. collectors item fer sure.
Attachments:

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29240

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
This is a magnum .44 the worlds most powerful handgun, you got to be asking yourself did he fire 5 or 6 shots, well punk do you feel lucky.....pow WWings straighten that semi-quote out for me,ranks right up there with "limitations" which I always liked.A little easier to remember as well. JG all us old dogs know at some point in time what we can do and when to pull the plug ,usually a lot sooner than the young gun might.You are not the first and you sure ain't the last, hope to meet you at Hammondsport.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29241

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John
Take care of yourself. Boats can wait. My old body cannot keep up with my young mind anymore either. I know that my pace has to slow up a bit.
Health is No.1. We are all behind you. Just take care of yourself.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re: overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29248

John,
We all sure appreciate you around here and would like for you to be here for a long time! This is only fun if you can do it and have it be a restoration of your soul as well as a hobby. No sense in letting it stress you out. I'm really looking forward to seeing your redo on your new CC, man you do gorgeous work. I count myself lucky to have a Gibson restoration original on its way to me! Take care and good health to you.
Paul

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29250

Mr.88
"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

Bob

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29251

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I had a feeling you had that one in your "arsenal" as well.Another classic ,thanks,put a smile on my face............

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29252

John, I've enjoyed all your posts. I believe you've made the right decision, and am glad to hear you'll still be hanging around FG. Good health to ya!

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29253

John, I've enjoyed all your posts. I believe you've made the right decision, and am glad to hear you'll still be hanging around FG. Good health to ya!

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29257

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow ,these posts are proof of what i have been saying"the folks here are the greatest friends",and i thank you all,and yeah my 1st heart atack was at age 43,im 49 now,my brain still thinks im in good shape and young,but my body says otherwise,lol.

as for the shirts they are still available on my site if you want one,but im shuting it all down on april 16th.
ill send you the 1.60 per shirt that would be my royalty,i dont want any money for them.by the way the coolest thing about them is that andrew gott designed the logo,thanks andrew.
now i look forward to being just me again,and if anyone needs help,its just like it was before,send it to me and ill fix it no charge.

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29258

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm proud of you John, that wasn't an easy decision. (I know this from experience, re; CCSR). Heck, by the time you finish your fleet, and Ed's, you'll be ready to "retire" from restorations anyway. LOL Besides, you'll need some time to actually enjoy your boat(s) when you do get it (them) done. They tell me part of aging gracefully is learning to enjoy more of life at a more leisurely pace. (Still working on that one myself!) No worries, hang in there and hang around here would ya'? ;)

Mark

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29260

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you ,mark,your right it wasnt easy but ,i have to do it,i can now try to enjoy my slow restorations,lol.
and im definatly hanging around here,its my 2nd home,lol,lol.
and like i said ,if anyone needs something done and i can fit it in,it will be like the old days,free of charge.i enjoy helping others out alot more ,than charging them,it makes me feel good,john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29263

John,

Congratulations on your decision. I have always thought you were taking on a lot, especially given your health issues. We'd rather have you around than a couple more well restored boats. Enjoy your "retirement".

Todd

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29267

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks todd,yeah i had to pop a few nitros,once in awhile,lol.so between that and my wife bringing me to my senses,it was the best way to go,im going to consentrate on 1 boat at a time,i think im going to try to restore the fish 1st and get it done,then the devil ray and cutter jet de ville,slowly one at a time,may take a long while,lol.
but i still plan on helping out the folks here by doing their small stuff for free again.
thanks todd your a good guy,john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29276

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think I know the feelings... we enjoy working on these things, figure we might be able to make a living doing what we love, then find ourselves overwhelmed. Next thing you know, its not fun anymore,,, you are lucky to have realized this before it taxed your health. Good to know you'll still be doing recreational restorations for yourself and family. take care, jim

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29281

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep jim,its too much for this old beat up heart and body,i think im going to restore the flying fish 1st,but who knows,lol,its hard to decide which one i will have time to do before hammondsport.
my wife likes the fish and picked out colors for it yesterday,so i guess that will be the 1st one,lol.
im going to go out and work on the motor and paint it to match what the boat is going to look like.john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29282

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
and beleive me its a hard decesion to make,the cutter and devil ray mean more to me because of the friends that helped me ,get the devil ray,and the bowlight for the cutter,but i want to take more time on restoring them because they mean alot to me,the fish im hoping i can have done for july.john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29289

John,

In my view, this isn't a bad thing at all. One of the fastest way to ruin your enjoyment of a hobby is to turn it into a business. When hobby suddenly becomes "work" it takes on a whole new form, and an entire new set of pressures, stresses, and frustrations. I know from my personal experience that better off keeping something that you love a hobby rather than a business.

Take care,

Bruce

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29290

bruce, i couldn't agree more. ron

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29294

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yes,bruce your right,i loved wood working and carpentry,and turned it into a business,i did good at it,but boy i hate carpentry anymore,lol.
i still do some wood working,but not much.
and like you and the other guys said ,i went out to the garage and worked at painting the cowl for my 61,450 merc.and i enjoyed it,some might get mad at me for painting it to match the boat,but what the heck,i like it,lol,im going to post it now,ll,john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29302

John,
Sorry wasn't trying to hijack the thread but 88 threw the challenge and I couldn't let it go. LOL Don't worry about the cowl. It's you boat and motor paint it any color that makes you happy!!!!! I'm sure it will look great matching the boat boat, after all your somewhat customizing right!?!!!?

Bob

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29304

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol bob,no problem,i enjoyed it.and yeah its going to be customized,it was headed for crushing anyway,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29320

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
john, in your first post you said you would say good bye to some of us. that is not ture, as me for one will never say good bye to you, just good luck and enjoy your self with you boats and family. best of luck and keep the posts and pictures coming. talk later. frog.

Re:overwhelmed,i have to give it up. 13 years 5 months ago #29328

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frog ,i was talking about the folks on my wesite,some of them were not from fg,as for me you cant get rid of me,im like dog poop on your shoes,lol,lol.
i will always be a true fan of fg,and the folks in it,im staying here,john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6372 guests and 2 members online