• Page:

TOPIC: water line cleaning

water line cleaning 13 years 6 months ago #28842

• curse
  • curse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I searched with no results. What's a good way to remove the water line "stain" after a boat has sat in the water all summer? I tried a $13.00 cleaner from gander mountain with no luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:water line cleaning 13 years 6 months ago #28843

Assuming you are talking gel coat? I'm a fan of Soft Scrub (not with Bleach. That is a different formulation entirely)and a Scotch Brite pad for bad cases. Start with the least abrasive possible and move up until you find something that works. If you have paint, you'll have to experiment. I am very leery of chemicals to do that.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:water line cleaning 13 years 6 months ago #28845

• curse
  • curse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, the gelcoat on my glastron. I finally found some info on some cleaning procedures. Muratic acid which is not on the top of my list, "rust aid", and "the works" toilet bowl cleaner were some of the things i found. I hear the muratic acid can be bad on the trailer but it supposedly gets the stain off immediately, as long as it's rinsed off the trailer within a few minutes it will be ok. I'll give the soft scrub and scotch brite pad a shot.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:water line cleaning 13 years 6 months ago #28846

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Mine was stained pretty badly when I got it, used Fantastic (Same as 409) sprayed on a small section at a time, then immediately washed with Attwood boat wash and a mit. Lot's of elbow grease, but it turned out pretty good. Followed that up with a buffer and some cleaner-polish, then a coat of good boat wax. Now that kind of scum doesn't stick near as much, and when it does it's easier to get off. ;)

What kinda Glastron do you have, any pics???

Mark

Re:water line cleaning 13 years 6 months ago #28847

Best stuff going in my opinion is Captain Phab hull and bottom cleaner. Spray it on wait 5 min rinse it off. For those stubborn stains spray it on let it sit 5 min then brush it with a medium stiff brush then rinse. Follow the link to all Captain Phab products, scroll down to the hull cleaner info. www.captphab.com/Info.html
Al

Re:water line cleaning 13 years 6 months ago #28852

After sitting for 6 years in a field, I used 30 second cleaner, applied with a garden sprayer. Let sit for 15 minutes and rinse with a hose and nozzle.

Apply the cleaner to a dry surface and spray from the bottom up This is important! If you spray from the top down you will cause streaks which will be there when you kids are grandparents.

After this very easy cleaning, scrub away. But please try it first. I am ready to fill holes and paint after one easy application.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6296 guests and one member online