Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Today was a most satisfactory day for me.

Today was a most satisfactory day for me. 13 years 6 months ago #28498

Determined to build a new junction box for my Evinrude Boat/Motor combination, I set out for the auto electric shop in Tacoma, Wa about 30 miles away. The junction box, which I have been unable to locate, contains the rectifier, voltage regulator and starter solenoid for the 1964 Evinrude Starflite IV motor.

At the auto electric shop, the counter guy and I looked over the schematic. He said we could assemble one, but he urged me to first visit the outboard shop a mile down the road. So, off I go. At the outboard shop, I walk in with my notebook I'm keeping on the restoration of the 1964 Evinrude Sport 16 boat. The counter man is helping another customer, but he spotted my notebook.

"Oh no! Not another vintage guy" he groaned. "I told the other one this morning that we had a fire a few years ago and all our vintage parts burned up." I replied with a quick question, "Do you know where I might find a junction box for this motor?". He pointed at the other customer, who was about to walk out. "He might have one", he answered.

The customer walked over and introduced himself, "I'm Jackson from 'Outboards 'R' Us'". "What is is that you need again?" I showed him on the schematic what it is I was missing. He said, "Sure, I have a bunch of those. Want to follow me home?" Wow! Clean living pays off again!

Not only did he have the complete junction box already hooked to a wiring harness, but he threw in a set of battery cables. When I told him I wasn't sure if I could bring the outboard back to life because of low compression, he told me not to worry, he's got a real good 100 hp. powerhead sitting there waiting. This guy has more old outboard parts than King Croesus!!! I traded him the old 1959 non-running Mercury which I got with the boat for the parts I needed. I was going to have to find someone to haul that old engine away anyway.

On the way home, I stopped in at the local upholstery shop. The owner crawled out of a 427 Cobra he was working on and I told him about my tight time schedule and that I needed a rear tonneau cover and a bow cover custom-made for the boat. He agreed that I could bring the boat over and leave it while SWAMBO and I go on our vacation cruise to the Panama canal in late April/early May and he would sew the covers while we are gone.

Then I stopped by the distilled spirits store and bought a bottle of rum to celebrate what was an excellent day. I may finish this project before our fishing trip May 30th.!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Today was a most satisfactory day for me. 13 years 6 months ago #28504

Wow...what an awesome day for you. Did you stop and buy a lottery ticket after you picked up the Rum?

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Today was a most satisfactory day for me. 13 years 6 months ago #28509

It's always nice to end a day with a smile.

Re:Today was a most satisfactory day for me. 13 years 6 months ago #28510

It's always nice to end a day with a smile.

Re:Today was a most satisfactory day for me. 13 years 6 months ago #28511

The OMC Gods were looking down upon you! B)

Re:Today was a most satisfactory day for me. 13 years 6 months ago #28514

For many reasons, this is turning out to be a good week.:) Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6349 guests and one member online