Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Okay, so I have this old outboard...

Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28475

Hello!

So, I have a 1965 (or so I think) Evinrude 60hp outboard that came with my boat when I purchased her. Now I know nothing really about outbaord engines so I was wondering if anyone had a simple list of things that should be done to maintain a healthy engine. I do know that the oil should be changed and that it is not seized up. I mean for the most part should I just be able to stick it in some water, throw some gas in it and see if it starts? Is it practical to take it to a boat place and have it profesionally tuned up or with a little reading-up can I preform all the tasks myself?

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you! :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28479

Depends. If she has good compression then she's a good engine and worth messin with. IMO. Do you know when the last time it was started and ran? If it has been several years then you will need to do some things if you want to ensure that you don't get stranded in the middle of the lake. Pull,clean and regap or replace the plugs. Pull the lower unit and replace the impeller and then relube the lower unit. Pull the bowl off the carb and check to see if it the gas has varnished over anything or pull it completely and rebuild it to make SURE. Compression, Spark, Water pumping(impeller) to keep her cool, and fuel. She oughta run just fine. Can you do it. Up to you. Manual's are available. Worth having someone else do it. Sure, as long as she has 100 psi in all the cylinders I'd say go for it.

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28480

Edsel Girl wrote:

Hello!

Is it practical to take it to a boat place and have it profesionally tuned up or with a little reading-up can I preform all the tasks myself?

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you! :laugh:

Unfortunately, most dealerships won't work on anything that old. If you find one that will, then take a chance. Just be sure you give them limits to what you are willing to spend.

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28492

I am assuming that when you said change the oil you meant in the lower unit. Unless it is one of few 4 cycle outboards from the 60's (such as a Homelite), the oil gets mixed with the gas.
I agree that the first thing to do is do a compression check and see if it is all worth while. If you have any more questions, you have come to the right place.

Bill

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28494

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Right place wrong forum.You really should post this in the JEGO section.I am not saying this to be mean and critical just saying you may get more info there,,and good luck I think you will do great with all the help you will get on this site.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28508

Wow-thanks so much everyone for the input!!! And thanks for the tip about where to post-I wasn't sure about that. I can't wait for next month for the weather to get a little warmer so I can drag my boat back around front and get to work! I'm just very glad that my dad's a skilled mechanic-even though he's never worked on a boat I'm sure we can get it done!

Another question...Evinrude parts, are they pretty much interchangable for all the years? Are the basic parts like the impeller things that I can buy at a place like West Marine?

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28516

NAPA auto parts stores carry alot of aftermarket outboard parts. I've had pretty good luck getting impellars and carb kits from them.

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28517

NAPA auto parts stores carry alot of aftermarket outboard parts. I've had pretty good luck getting impellars and carb kits from them.

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28538

You can get everything you need for your Johnny Rude here...
www.laingsoutboards.com/

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28539

Welcome Edsel Girl!

You have come to the right place for information on everything boats. We were able to find a local guy (surprising-as we are in a TINY town) who works on old marine engines. The man goes nuts with happiness everytime we bring something old in to work on.

My Flamingo. THANK YOU for the parts supplier

jerri

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28546

Thanks everbody!

I guess I won't have any trouble finding parts! :) I just found a nice 55gal steel drum that I can use to run the engine in my yard-all I need now is some nice warm weather! We're planning on doing the compression test very soon...

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28549

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The "Factory" website only goes back to 1968, so this may be no help. But if you do have something 68 or newer, the O.E. parts and complete illustrated breakdowns are available online at;
shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=ts101vneecan942qqlp3vrlqp2&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Mark

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28558

edsel girl,one tip i found out is to drill a drain hole in the side at the bottom of the barrel,with a bolt or some sort of plug,then when your done running your boat its easy to move the barrel,because once the motor is in it you cant tilt it with the water in the barrel,its just too heavy to get it back out,johnp.s. you might have to cut the barrel down a little bit.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Okay, so I have this old outboard... 13 years 6 months ago #28702

Thanks for the tip John! I can just picture myself with the barrel filled and the engine in it and not being able to get it back out! Haha. I never even thought about that part-gee, you probably just saved me a ton of frustration! :lol:

Thanks again everyone-this is so helpful!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6291 guests and one member online