Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What have I got here?

What have I got here? 13 years 6 months ago #28367

Hey folks, I was hoping someone could help me out. I bought this yesterday for next to nothing and I am super excited about restoring it. The problem is, I don't know much about it.

What I do know (or think I know):
1964 Winner ????
2.5L inline 4 120 hp. (casting #'s date it to 1962)
Made in Dickson, Tn.

I would love to know more about it, hope someone can help.

What model drive is this? It hasn't been in the water since 1992, or cranked since 2005. Any precautions about that?

Thanks guys for all your help in advance.

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What have I got here? 13 years 6 months ago #28370

Welcome aboard!

I cannot offer any assistance with the engine and motor.

Winner Boats, Inc. was located at Dickson, TN. They were the merger of Wizard Boats of Tennessee, Inc. and the Boat Divison of Winner Mfg. Co.

There is a fair amount of history in the Classic Library portion of this website. Look at both the Winner and Wizard sections. Thompson as well.

I have a 1964 Winner brochure. One of these days I will scan it and get it posted to the Library.

Andreas

Re:What have I got here? 13 years 6 months ago #28380

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As far as the outdrive goes with what little info I have I would guess it is one of the first Mercruiser's. Does it have a manual lift system or hydraulic? Tilt pin holes ? After making sure it has been winterized properly,that means the blocked is not cracked or manifolds for that matter.I would do a compression test maybe throw some marvel mystery oil down the cylinders to loosen up the rings and pre lub the walls.Do not try to start/pull coil wire off for compression test.After the block checks out I would then check the outdrive oil to make sure it is not milky in color when drained. If so you may have bad seals or worse yet bad seals along with the housing being so pitted that it has to be reflashed.That may run 1000.Now if that all checks out I would move on to the impellar and implellar housing. Replace impellar and check for worn plate on base of housing.Now back to the engine,new points,cap,rotor, plugs and wires and fuel/oil and filter's.Points and plugs all properly gapped.Carb may have to be rebuilt as well,depending on how it was stored. After all that proceed with putting muffs on outdrive and try firing her up.If she fires up it will have to be timed for optimal performance.Pics of the outdrive would help,any manuals come with her. Check back after that for more info.we still have to talk about bellows,gimbal bearing and universal joints, one thing at a time.Lol

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6255 guests and one member online