• Page:

TOPIC: instrument console background

instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28184

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Does anyone have any ideas on where I could find some of this. It kinda reminds me of the quarter trim on a 57 Bel Air. Maybe some aluminum tape with that pattern on it? Thanks,Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28186

I'll bet you could find some at your local (Bowling) Trophy Engraving shop.

I found an article on it at Engine-turned Aluminum .

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28187

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Ray (69Fabuglass) used some of that on his dash Jim, shoot him an email. I'll try to find the thread when I get home.....

Mark

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28194

bob beers has a roll of it and was offering it for sale by the foot, but bob disappeared 2 years ago. ron
Attachments:

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28203

• MarkS
Attachments:

Mark

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28205

That patteren is very hard to find on tape. You might want to try Fox Fire Distrbuting or The parts guys restoration suppies. Both of them are on Ebay.They both have stuff that is close to what you are looking for. if not try any good old car restoration business. You may have to buy an early car dash face plate to get that design. Good luck Skip.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28206

Hi Jim
New to the board but I thought I would jump in. You can find that engine turned film in large and small, gold and silver, .0042 thick. Neat stuff.

here:
www.metrorestyling.com/Metro-Small-Silver-Engine-Turn-Vinyl-p/enginesmslvr.htm

They do sell on eBay as well
Frank
povertyjet

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28209

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for all the leads guys. I might just go with the engine turned style instead of the straight line? style. My 65 ford pickup has the engine turned chrome dash,so it would match.lol

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28210

I tried to place an order with them but - after they stated "Free Shipping", their order page insisted I "choose a shipping method". When I chose standard shipping, it added $2.10 to my order for shipping. B.S. I canceled the order.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28211

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Darn, I just thought of something( everybody run) :laugh: . There is a place in town called signs&designs that does graphics.duh I'll check tomorrow. :blush: Thanks to all for your ideas. I'm really getting excited about this old crestliner. I painted the plywood on the transom today. Turned out pretty good.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28216

Clark, You should of called them up and questioned them about there "Free shipping" :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28222

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
This is what you get when you click on " Free Shipping" in the banner at the top of the home page.

FREE SHIPPING!
on orders of $99 or more USA customers only

Very typical.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28224

I figured as much. :angry: They all do it. Well, with the shipping almost as much as the cost, I'll pass. It's likely available locally and the sales tax on a three dollar purchase will be a lot less than a two buck shipping charge.

It would make an attractive panel, though. Mine's busted on the corners from the screw holes. I personally like Acrylic for this purpose instead of Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate has a tendency to sun craze over the years.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28230

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
elgindave wrote:

Clark, You should of called them up and questioned them about there "Free shipping" :laugh:

The shipping is hurting a lot of things like ebay. Stuff don't bring as much cause of it.ElginDave, great boat!! A man needs an old timey captain's hat to pilot that one .. :) .I thought about getting one to wear at the lake "for the h#ll of it",but it would have to be white. :laugh:

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28233

• MarkS
$2 is pretty cheap though, if you have much experience buying off the 'net! I don't think the profit margin on a $3 purchase would allow "free shipping", realistically. Just sain'....... ;)

Mark

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28234

stepping over dollars to save dimes. = )

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28238

• MarkS
Welcome to FG Frank, and thanks for the link to that source. (They've got some Burlwood that looks close to Glastron OE stuff too!)

Mark

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28241

Not to steal the thread, but along the same vein, I was looking to buy some special stuff in a tube yesterday, stuff cost $9.95. Go to order it, ground shipping for a tube (smaller than a toothpaste tube)? $9.90. Forget it! Shipping (and handling) charges are getting way out of whack. The ones I particularly despise are the ones hawking free shipping only to charge a hefty "handling" fee. Sheeeesh!

Frank

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28245

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I fly RC planes you should see the Shipping costs on parts form Chinna you go up a hundreds grams and its $10 more shipping... granted I buy there because the parts are 70% less so its a wash really. but its hard to get good reliable afordable RC equipment here.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28252

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
PC1000 wrote:

Not to steal the thread, but along the same vein, I was looking to buy some special stuff in a tube yesterday, stuff cost $9.95. Go to order it, ground shipping for a tube (smaller than a toothpaste tube)? $9.90. Forget it! Shipping (and handling) charges are getting way out of whack. The ones I particularly despise are the ones hawking free shipping only to charge a hefty "handling" fee. Sheeeesh!

Frank

Don't worry about stealing the thread Frank. As far as I'm concerned,it's all relevant to finding and fixing these old boats. Some of those "handling and shipping fees" on ebay are ridiculous. jim

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28253

i might be wrong but i think bob beers hd some kind of mylar for sale.
but i havent heard from him in a long time.
but it might be something to look into,the mylar that is,lol.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28258

You can make your own panel better than the decal.

Get a panel made of polished stainless or chrome plated steel. .28 gauge would be more than thick enough. Cover it with self sticking cabinet vinyl. Draw the stripes or design desired then use a craft knife and straight edge to cut the design. Peel away the parts that you want dulled/frosted in appearance. Glass bead blast the exposed metal. Have a metal shop punch holes for your instruments. Most shops will punch holes for $5.00 per. Peel off the remaining vinyl & presto... a custom made metal instrument panel. It would cost way more than a decal, but the results are worth it.

Just a thought

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28260

PC1000 wrote:

Frank

I had the same thing when I ordered some knobs for my motor. They used a USPS one rate box, which is not a good deal IMO.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28270

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bruce Gerard wrote:

You can make your own panel better than the decal.

Get a panel made of polished stainless or chrome plated steel. .28 gauge would be more than thick enough. Cover it with self sticking cabinet vinyl. Draw the stripes or design desired then use a craft knife and straight edge to cut the design. Peel away the parts that you want dulled/frosted in appearance. Glass bead blast the exposed metal. Have a metal shop punch holes for your instruments. Most shops will punch holes for $5.00 per. Peel off the remaining vinyl & presto... a custom made metal instrument panel. It would cost way more than a decal, but the results are worth it.

Just a thought

That's sounds like it would last a lot better. I checked on a decal for it today,but would have to get a lot more than I need so I'll keep looking.I also found some engine turned vinyl, but it had too much of a rainbow effect to it. It might just turn out to be a home fix,Thanks Bruce.

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28275

• randyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for the link. I have been looking for this material for a long time.

Randy

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28277

MarkS wrote:

Welcome to FG Frank, and thanks for the link to that source. (They've got some Burlwood that looks close to Glastron OE stuff too!)

Thanks and you are welcome...I was considering putting that wood film on the side of my day cruiser too!

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28278

MarkS wrote:

Thanks and you are welcome...I was considering putting that wood film on the side of my day cruiser too!

Re:instrument console background 13 years 6 months ago #28279

MarkS wrote:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7115 guests and one member online