Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please help. Info on this boat? pics included

Please help. Info on this boat? pics included 13 years 6 months ago #28145

First of all, I apologize for another "I.D. this boat thread" I know on the hot rod and chopper forums I am on people get sick of seeing Identification threads all of the time. I searched all over the internet for a couple hours and couldn't come up with an ID for this.

Anyway, I found it for sale on the side of the road. Its definitely in my price range. Id love to restore it. Can you guys ID it for me and maybe give me some tips on what I should look for before I haul it home?

Thanks so much!
-Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Please help. Info on this boat? pics included 13 years 6 months ago #28146

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Re:Please help. Info on this boat? pics included 13 years 6 months ago #28156

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
It would be nice to know But Ild grab it before somebody else does ..Thats a cool looking boat ..Looks like my old 57 in ways ..Doesnt look horrible shape by the pics .. Welcome Aboard if your new .

Re:Please help. Info on this boat? pics included 13 years 6 months ago #28172

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Welcome. Around here, we actually enjoy the challenge of the "I.D. this" threads... unfortunately I cant help with the ID, but its got great lines, and if its "in your price range" I'd get it. Obviously the fins look cool, and I like the dash -- kind of a dual cockpit look.

But, don't expect to fix it up and sell it at a profit, the market for glassic boats, well, other than a few specific models, just consider it a labor of love.

As for what to look for, just hope that the hull is intact,no major cracks or holes. [If ever stored with the nose low and water accumulating, then freezing, it could be a red flag] Most of us buying old boats are going to expect that floors and stringers will need attention. [ I can see some floor work was done to accomodate the pedestals for the seats, pretty sure they're not original]. Other than that, expect the transom to need to be replaced. The inner and outer fiberglass layers have wood sanwiched in -between, and after 50 years its probably rotten. [moisture, or dry rot]

but, you've already found the forum to help with any issues that arise, good luck in the purchase, and keep us posted!

Re:Please help. Info on this boat? pics included 13 years 6 months ago #28451

Thanks for all of the help. I found a picture of a 58 renken and it looks pretty close. I contacted Fred Renken who's father started the renken boat company in the late 50's. He said it looks like a 1960 but he can't be sure until he sees the Hull Identification Number.

Unfortunately the boat is 2 hours away from me. I have been trying to get the guy to look at the title for me becuase I dont want to buy the boat and have problems titling it. Illinois sucks to title anything vintage if everything is not 100% clear as day when it comes to the title/vin/etc.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6315 guests and one member online