Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration

Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27762

I just purchased a Glasspar Seafair Sedan, the seller didn't know anyting about it except that the outboard ran. I was able to identify the outboard as a '69 Mercury Merc1000 "Tower of Power" :). I would like to find out the year of the boat so I can have an accurate title and registration. The stringers are made of wood (rotted :( ) and there is an ID plate above the door to the cabin which reads "17XN9 | 0089".

Here are some pics that can hopefully help:

The floor and stringers are completely rotted so this will be a full restoration (my first, but I may restore my '75 Thundercraft 160 tri-hull first). Any links to other Seafair Sedan restoration projects (preferably completed) on this site or others would be greatly appreciated. Also, where would be the correct place to post the progress of my restoration? Unfortunately, I won't be able to start on this project for a couple months due to us moving out of our apartment and into a house (with a 2 1/2 car garage :) ), but it's going to be so nice having a garage to work in rather than the street curb.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27763

Cool boat - congrats. After looking around a little it might be from 1959 - first year of the SeaFair Sedan. Found another with a slightly higher number 0135 and that one was made in Knoxville - maybe yours are too.

/Hans

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27780

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Built in 1959 at the Nashville, TN plant. The 0089 indicates build order...not sure if that means the 89th Seafair or 89th boat built in the Nashville plant that year. Very nice riding boat for a 17 1/2 footer....you'll like it.

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27793

Thanks guys.

Can anyone tell me what these metal parts are for? I think there's a metal tank behind the port dash piece that they connect to:

I also found this in the boat but I have no idea where it goes, it looks like it's the same trim color as my Seafair. It's fiberglass and it has button snaps on it.

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27794

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
DEL : WELCOME , CONGRATS on a desirable Sedan . Is it possible you are also around the Tenn region. ? A few of us are getting a chapter going. YES, I resotred a 62 Sedan a few years ago , & just recently got a 67. There is a thread a few pages down. . I can send you pics.

. Seems the fiberglass color pic Item , may be a windshield visor or cap where the 1/2 Navy top snapped on to . ? Hard to tell from small pic, could also be the splashwell cross piece that was unique to only 59 & had a flag pole in center , I believe. You should have a large , Deep splashwell in front of the outboard.
CHATTANOOGA. www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/25107-short-road-trip-60s-sedan.html
.The top metal Fuel (?) caps could have been used with optional saddle / side panel gas tanks for offshore or cruising range.
Outside of your sedan looks in good shape.

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27801

Sorry for the small pics. You can click on them to make them bigger. It's easier for me to link to my photobucket account rather than resizing all of my pics manually.

I live in Evansville, IN but we plan to go to Land Between the Lakes a lot, I also would really like to go to Old Hickory Lake.

It does have the deep splashwell

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27807

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
DEL: I got into your Photo bucket acct & viewed the pics. . See it is missing the cross pice in front of splashwell , so quite sure that is the piece you asked about . At least you got it. SOme guys go to later year smaller wells.(?) SOme also put gas tank in that area. ! Here is a nice RED 59 LInk actually, just north of you. Terry has rear gas tank I believe on 6 cly Merc.

. Those round fittings with the two inserts are GAS fill tubes , unscrews with a hand wrench with TWO tips. Never saw in dashboard before . www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_igallery&view=igcategory&id=106&Itemid=62 . When able can E_mail Message me for ID. I have prior light Blue 62 photo album.
Larry

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27827

I would like the cabin to look something similar to this once I'm finished:

Is this original interior from a newer Seafair or is it custom?

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27831

There is a very active group of Glasspar boat owners in the eastern United States belonging to the Florida Glasspar Club. The club has a chapter based in the Midwest. There are over 35 Seafair Sedans owned by members of the club and many in your general area. Many club members have restored these boats and there are some still in very nice original condition. If you email me I can fill you in on more information about this group and how you can hook up with members of this boating club. My email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Brian
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27866

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

For anyone wanting to email me, my address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27867

I'm considering using a transom bracket to get a little extra room in the boat and possibly to add a deck between the transom and outboard. what are the pros and cons of using a transom bracket? Any links related to using transom brackets would be helpful.

Thanks,
Paul

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27868

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
P: I dont believe you will find many Glasspar fans that are in favor of modifing the outside line of a Sedan.. If the original 60's hull was a I/O, & have access to a outboard & good workmanship skill then it may be cost effective. You can not overpower this hull for more speed. . Just not designed that way, back in 59. . Any offset is adding more stress to the transom that the owner rebuilt .? . Believe that Blue pic with the Marniner took a long time to sell off e-bay .

A modern, storm damage boat or a speed boat is a better candidate for these setback brackets.. Just like a Jack plate for modern bass boats, etc. IMO

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27887

I agree with Split adding a motor backet like the one shown in the picture to a Sedan is a BAD idea.

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27900

Yeah, I don't like the way the top one looks but it was the only photo I could find of a Seafair Sedan with a transom bracket (probably a reason for that :laugh: ), but I do really like the second pic I posted. I may do some cardboard mock-ups once I've finished the floor and transom just to see how it would look.

Re:Glasspar Seafair Sedan restoration 13 years 6 months ago #27902

I found a video of the Seafair with the transom mount in the water, I kind of like it except how high the transom is.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7385 guests and one member online