Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sticky Glue

Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27690

I have started to work on my 68 creastliner today and have made good progress so far. I will be posting some pics. as soon as I get my camera back from wifes kids. I did run into one minor problem that I hope someone here can help me with. The boat had vynal on the hull sides glued on. It pulled out easy only now I have to remove all the old glue. This is still sticky glue. Any ideas on what would be good to use that will not harm the interior glass. Thanks for any help. Skip. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27702

I had some sticky adhesive from duct tape on my hull and used Goo Gone. I would soak a small rag with the Goo Gone and tape (painter's tape) the rag to the spot. After a few hours usually you could wipe away the glue. Didn't harm my gel coat. You may want to test it on a small spot first. Really bad spots needed a couple of applications.

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27703

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Besides Goo be Gone another there is another option. Harbor Freight sells a cheap air tools that look like die grinders.They have a 3" or 4" rubber wheel that attaches to the grinder.It's like a big eraser and may also work on a electric high rpm drill,if you do not have air.Thats what they are made for,removing pinstripes and decals.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27704

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
WD-40 takes bug guts and road tar off of vehicles.
Will that cut the glue?
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27707

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Neil wrote:

WD-40 takes bug guts and road tar off of vehicles.
Will that cut the glue?
Neil[/quote

NO wrong composition of molecules.I have tried brake cleaner,electronic cleaner,carb choke cleaner etc.You name it, I have tried it,, Goo B Gone and or 3m[which worked the best for me] or the eraser wheel are the way to go. 3m 08984- general adhesive remover, just looked in the garage for part number

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27708

Hi Skip,

I suspect that the glue used was contact cement. I have had good luck with this technique, using mineral spirits:

www.ehow.com/how_7431874_remove-contact-cement-fiberglass.html

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27711

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I had a small section of a bread type van that I had to remove 12 year old lettering. Started with a heat gun that basically removed the vinyl. The glue was a different story. That citrus stuff they mentioned did not work,maybe the cement stuff does. I did not have a eraser wheel at the time to try. 3M was better than Goo B gone.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27745

i took the lettering off my truck a few days ago so i could get non-commercial insurance. saved $1500.00. i removed the vinyl with a heat gun, then used 3m adhesive remover to remove the glue. it was on since 2004. had to rub hard with the 3m stuff but it did the job. someone had told me that it would cloud the clear coat when the sun hit it but that didn't happen.

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27765

Thanks to every one who chimed in on my little problem here. I went and got some 3M General adhesive remover today. That stuff works great. Not alot of work to get the glue off now. In some places it is really thick but this stuff is doing the trick. Kind of pricey but worth it for how little work you have to put into it. Will post pics soon. Thanks again, Skip.

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27776

Huh. I've always just used acetone.

Frank

Re:Sticky Glue 13 years 6 months ago #27777

I tryed the acetone this morning and all it did was make the glue smear all over and was hard to remove from the fiberglass. I thought that the acetone would work as I have used it to remove glue before. I guess this was just some really weird glue that Creastliner used back in the late 60's. :unsure: Skip.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7260 guests and one member online