Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Throttle Question

Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27561

Does anybody have an idea on how i might convert a side mount throttle to a center console. I am trying to figure out how to run the throttle cables from a center console.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27571

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What kind of boat? Is the center console stock or was it installed later on? What do you have for a subfloor? Is it a fiberglass lined cockpit? Do you have access to the area under the fool,like a ski locker/ rod locker/fuel cell. A better description of what you are working with would be a big help.Do you have the controls mounted?

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27573

Like this?
Attachments:

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27581

Easy
Attachments:

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27610

Sorry about that, i should have been more desciptive to begin with. To start, at the moment the boat is completely gutted and can be seen here - Click Here

Since those pictures were taken everything else has been removed: engine, trolling motor, throttle etc... It is a 13ft fiberglass whaler knockoff (nobody knows what it is). It came with a side mount Evinrude Simplex throttle. I plan on building a center console similar to what the original whalers had and would like to use the same throttle instead of spending $200 on a top mount throttle.

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27621

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Link does not work.The original 13' Whalers had a side console,not center.The 17' Montauks had a center console and that may be what your thinking of.Most people that did not want to buy the top mount would end up bolting it to the side of the console.Then hope when somone walks by they do not hit the controls.The 13' will not have anyone walking around while under power.I would leave it side console,less headaches in the long run.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27623

On many control boxes the handle can be put on the other side.

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27669

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well after scrolling down to your original post I see you have a wooden floor.IF you are going to go with a center C now would be the time to either feed the steering/throttle cables under the floor or make a PVC conduit for them to go through in the future. That wood looks like it has to be replaced and who knows what water logged material is under there. Time to check it out and let us know what you find.If your making a CC then incorporate a small block of wood to affix the controls to. I would guess that you would have to mount it so the cables are facing down so they are out of the way and heading towards the floor opening.Vertical instead of horizonital.Steering cable had a certain area it needs to turn as well and that has to be taking into consideration as well as what system you plan on using,cable,teleflex etc. Maybe you can take a pic of your plans and post them for us to get a better idea of what you are thinking.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Throttle Question 13 years 6 months ago #27709

My brother-in-law has a beautiful 13 ft Whaler with the mohogany bench seat, hatch cover, and steering council. The controls are on the starboard side. The boat isn't big enough to have any type of stand-up council and still be safe. It's a great little boat, and the older 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke pushes it along a good 30 mph.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7309 guests and one member online