• Page:

TOPIC: Life preserver throw cushions

Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27530

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello, does anyone have an idea on a approximate year for these?They came with the boat I just bought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27531

From what i can find, there were a lot of collectible cussions made in the 50's to 60's and were made by Elgin for Sears. And they seem to be quite collectable. And from the following article yours seems to be from 1929

Collectable Boat Cushions Part 1

Collectible Boat Cushions Part 2

Hope this helps.

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27538

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
krrthree wrote:

From what i can find, there were a lot of collectible cussions made in the 50's to 60's and were made by Elgin for Sears. And they seem to be quite collectable. And from the following article yours seems to be from 1929

Collectable Boat Cushions Part 1

Collectible Boat Cushions Part 2

Hope this helps.

Thanks,it does. The fellow that had this old boat believed in being prepared. When I cleaned the boat out,I found 7 cushions,6 life jackets,an O shaped life preserver,enough rope for 2 boats,two wooden paddles,a mushroom anchor,2 woven rope fenders/ bumpers,a boat hook,a brand new OMC prop,new prop nut with sheer pin and cotter pin,the bow light pennant staff,new set of spark plugs, first aid kit,cigar box full of light bulbs, bolts, screws, screwdrivers and pliers.I bet the boat will go 5 mph faster now that I cleaned it out.. :laugh:

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27545

The life preserver compliance rule, on the tag, is from 1929...the cushions are probably from the 50's or 60's

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27554

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
The tag makes reference to an act approved by the USCG, April 25,1940. Very good condition and nice find.

Melanie

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27574

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Oceans2 wrote:

The tag makes reference to an act approved by the USCG, April 25,1940. Very good condition and nice find.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie, one is pretty good and the other has a 3" split and one of the handles is about torn loose on one side but is all there. I had thought about selling them, but they sure look good in the Aristo.

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27588

They look great but I doubt they would still be Coast Guard approved with the split and the torn handle. I have a 1959 Thompson with the original seat cushions. When they were new the cushions were Coast Guard approved, but after being sat on for 50 years they are still in good shape but would never pass for a life cushion. They were from back when all you needed were cushions, not wearables, on inland waters. I would hang on to yours for shows, ect.

Bill
Attachments:

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27590

Sorry for the double post.
Bill

EDIT

Hi Bill - Welcome to the board. If you want to see how the thread looks after making your post, or if you want to jump back to the board, the "safest" way to prevent double posts seems to be by scrolling up to the "Forums" tab & go back in that way. It seems that when I hit the back button on my browser, I make a double post.

Regards,

Bruce Gerard

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27612

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
All Dunn II wrote:

They look great but I doubt they would still be Coast Guard approved with the split and the torn handle. I have a 1959 Thompson with the original seat cushions. When they were new the cushions were Coast Guard approved, but after being sat on for 50 years they are still in good shape but would never pass for a life cushion. They were from back when all you needed were cushions, not wearables, on inland waters. I would hang on to yours for shows, ect.

Bill

That's all I'd use them for, to lay in the boat maybe at a car or boat show. I have a newer Coast Guard approved cushion that goes to the lake. If I threw one of those old ones out in the water,the handles would probably rip off. LOL jim. btw Great looking boat,Bill

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27620

Nice seat cushions. I remember seeing them at sears when I was a kid. They are the same ones our niehbour had in his boat back in the 60's. Could you post a pic of your rope fenders? I am looking for some good pic so that I can make some. Thanks Skip.

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27676

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
skipthescrounger wrote:

Nice seat cushions. I remember seeing them at sears when I was a kid. They are the same ones our niehbour had in his boat back in the 60's. Could you post a pic of your rope fenders? I am looking for some good pic so that I can make some. Thanks Skip.

Here ya go Skip

Re:Life preserver throw cushions 13 years 6 months ago #27688

Thanks for the pics. Thats just what I was looking for. Now the fun starts, trying to make them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7142 guests and one member online