• Page:

TOPIC: Progress!

Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27371

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm taking advantage of the 70 degree sunny weather here today- It's a GREAT day to be out working on the boat! I am at the stage where there are 100's of little things to do- No more really major work (other than, perhaps, the wiring), just tons of loose ends to tie up and little things to bolt/screw on.

I finally got around to installing the drain plugs in the transom- So in theory the boat should actually float now. I also got the folding seats assembled so I could check the fit-

I had to fine tune the openings a bit with a grinder, then I installed the aluminum trim (Which was missing from my boat, but came off the 'donor' boat I bought last year), and stuck the seats in place. They fit! The mechanism for folding them is pretty interesting- One of Bill Tritts designs no doubt- But it is a bit of a pain, and I suspect not too strong, probably why so many citations I've seen are missing the rear facing seats. Mine was missing them- and all the hardware- so I had to replace it all.

I got most of the trim installed, except for the area around the motorwell, because I want to get the wiring and steering in place before I close this area up, for better access.

This rats nest is the next big area to tackle- it's what is left of the wiring harness-

Needless to say, MOST of it will be replaced. I wish there was someplace nearby that stocked marine wire, I've got to order it, and that is a pain...

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27374

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Most of the trim installed now, and seats & splashwell temporarily in place to make sure everything fits before I bolt anything on.

There are a few small adjustments to make- One 'odd' thing is that the whole boat 'shrunk' about 1/4" or so- my guess is that I didn't get the curve of the transom dead on when I installed the new one, and it's a little off back there. I kind of had to wing it when it came to the transom- The old one was so rotten it wasn't in it's original shape. To this day, I don't know HOW I made it as far as I did trailering that thing with the motor still on, had I known just how bad the transom was, I'd have taken the fat 50 off for sure!

The cap DID fit back on, but it overlapped the hull by a little, which was an easy fix. The splashwell is a little too big as well, but I'll be able to trim a bit off the front and back with minimal difficulty. It's starting to really look like a boat now-

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27380

That is a sweet boat!

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27381

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking great Andrew, looks like you'll be ready for the big re-launch soon! I'm currently rebuilding the "boat side" harness for my Merc, so I feel your pain on the wiring project. :S

Mark

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27396

looking great andrew,my lido was the same we had to take the motor of before the transom came off,but i was thinking can you use any of the seat parts or any other parts?
they arent the best of shape but your welcome to them,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27397

oh yeah you inspired me to make a boat dolly,so i can move them in and out of the garage like you can,i just had to get big wheels because my drivway is in gravel.thanks for the idea!
the seats look great you sure are a jack of all trades and a master of them all,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27398

Andrew,
She's looking great! Wish I could do more on mine but the wife put Laundry room cupboards number one on the priority list. The seats came out awesome.

Bob

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27401

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Progress is always GOOD.. Yes warm weather is very welcome, & much easier to work without two jackets over your arms.. Doing bolts &
adjustments & Primer on two trailers at the same time.

. Looking at that wire harness , makes my Tiller Mk 25 quite inviting.! Have the state reg sticker to stick on hull for the 1st time. That is the one sweet task to celebrate

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27418

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
One very fine looking boat and the seats look great. Sure wish I could do fiberglass / upolstery repair.

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27422

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks....

Whenever I get frustrated, I just remind myself where I started-

Re:Progress! 13 years 6 months ago #27429

wow,andrew,we need to give out a award for best restoration of the year,you have my vote!!john

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36280

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
She'll be in the water this week, ready or not! Darn close to 2 YEARS at this point... But it's been worth it!

Most of the work is done- A few small details here and there- and one BIG detail- the motor.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a new one... the Starflite is out of service for the time being... It's a LONG story- and a STUPID mistake. Probably repairable, but I don't have the patience for it at the moment, and I'm also tired of throwing cash at a 'maybe' running motor with only OK compression... I have found a couple of newer mercs.

We've got a Glasspar event this weekend,, so it'll be the first show for this boat... Which, by the way, needs a name!

-Andrew

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36281

• MarkS
She's looking absolutely GORGEOUS Andrew, awesome job! I agree with John, that would have to be up there in the running for "Resto of the Year(s)". I remember some of your first posts I saw about painting the deck, etc.. Where you been hiding out lately, haven't seen you around much?

Mark

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36284

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'll just echo Mark's comment "absolutely GORGEOUS". I think the pictures answer the question as to where he's been hiding out keeping busy.

Melanie

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36286

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks- She's getting there...

To answer the "where have you been" question- BUSY... In addition to the boats, I have been working on my tow vehicle- a 1966 Ford F100... She's going to look great with the glasspar behind her, especially now that she's RUNNING, and more importantly STOPPING- Thanks to a tune up and brake job!

I also restored the stern light- I had one that I REALLY wanted to use on this boat, but it was missing it's globe... So I figured out a way to make a new one-

It's not perfect, but it's better than none. If anyone is interested, I'll post some info on how to do it- I know a lot of people have old stern lights around missing the globes!

-andrew

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36290

• MarkS
I know several people looking for globes, and I'd love to see how you did it Andrew.

A 66 "Effie", that will be perfect. Would love to see some pics in the NBR forum when you get a chance. (Melanie is right, these projects don't complete themselves, I KNOW you've been busy!) A buddy of mine back in high school had one, red with white trim stripes/accents. Great lines. Good to hear from you bud. ;)

Mark

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36299

Andrew,
She looks Phenominal! Good to hear from you again. I remember your post about the globes, great job. For a name how about Ole' Red, sorry probably not real original but the first thing that popped into my head

Bob

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36330

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks....

Mark- Here's the whole package- They look GREAT together. Although the truck is a '66, they were essentially the same from 61-66....

The truck needs some cosmetics, but runs VERY well now. And, Plenty of pulling power ;)

-Andrew

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36332

Boy, what a great looking truck & boat Andrew, you are a lucky fellow!

Frank

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36333

1961 to 63 F-100 was a uni-body on frame construction. The bed was integrated with the cab. It rode like a covered wagon. I know I've owned one since 1978. The door lines on the uni-body went straight from the front of the door to the back where yours has a check line in it. Mine was offered in both a six foot bed or an eight. Mine is an eight.
Attachments:

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36334

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice Uni- Those are getting rare!

Another nice thing about the later (65 and on) trucks is that they've got the twin I Beam front suspensions, and ride MUCH better... Especially now that I've got an all new suspension in... It rides like a dream. And- POWER STEERING, too! Much more 'refined' than some of the earlier models.

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36352

andrew,they look absolutly fantastic together,very nice,great job,john

robert pretty cool truck,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36354

I may never finish mine. These were taken in my garage where I used to live. I sold it and now have no garage. It is in a tent garage now. I'm putting a newer frame under it with independent front suspension and disc brakes. I have most of the parts. I'm thinking about a fuel injected 6 cylinder now. I have a 72 460 4 V here without smog heads. I'd certainly love to have that black beauty here.

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36376

Andrew, that's a great combination! GREAT JOB!

Bob

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36382

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, It looks like the new motor is going to match the truck- Found a Merc 850... It's a 72, so not 'vintage', but it still has the vintage look to it, and best of all it RUNS WELL....

Hopefully I'll be performing the 'transplant' this week. It's coming off an UGLY trihull... Will look MUCH better on the Glasspar!

-Andrew

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36384

Now your talking, great find and that should push her along real nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Progress! 13 years 3 months ago #36389

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great Andrew.
The whole package is awesome.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Progress! 12 years 11 months ago #48327

Andrew, Can you tell me who manufactured that stern light? That is one cool design! I want one!

Re:Progress! 12 years 11 months ago #48330

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have no idea... I picked it up in a 'junk' shop for a couple of bucks, minus the globe... I had to make the globe for it. I see them on E-Bay from time to time, but usually the globe is gone and chrome is bad...

Re:Progress! 12 years 11 months ago #48363

You Lucky Dawg! My search continues...

I'm impressed with your progress! Keep up the good work!

Thanks much!

Re:Progress! 11 years 4 months ago #78029

We need a lens for our stern light and I'm having a hard time (no big surprise there) finding it...how did you make it??
Thanks!

I wish every day was 85 and sunny!

Re:Progress! 11 years 4 months ago #78087

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
VERY carefully :)

First, I made a mold out of wood- Technically, I think it was called a plug... It was basically the final shape I wanted the lens to be, just smaller.

Then, I heated a piece of plexiglass with a heat gun until it was nice and soft. It requires a bit of practice.

Then it was a "simple" matter of forming the soft plastic around the plug... Slowly, so it didn't tear. It took a few tries, but it worked!

Re:Progress! 11 years 4 months ago #78093

Wow - you really have brought that boat back from the brink of being crushed at the dump. Nice work.

That stern light was made by Perko. The original lens was made from very thin transparent plastic - yours is pretty dang close to what it looked like. The original had a flat top and there were a a series of tiny ridges molded around the inside of it. Your only hope is to find a good one (good luck) or to make one up like you did. Be sure to use a short "button" style bulb and not a full length bulb - as the tall bulb will melt a white spot into the lens.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online