• Page:

TOPIC: And then there was two

And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27299

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I recently found another old boat that is in good condition. Thought I would share some pics. Just got it today so I'm kinda stoked.It's a 1962 Crestliner Del Rio with a 62 75 Johnson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27301

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks good Jim.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27308

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
NICE find Jim, she appears to be in excellent condition! Can't wait to hear and see more.

Mark

Re: And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27309

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice ride! Is that a tac, speed and clock in the dash?

Re: And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27336

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
DelRay wrote:

Nice ride! Is that a tac, speed and clock in the dash?

Yes, from Sears. Looks like AquaMeter made them for Sears.I checked the compression of the engine cylinders.Comes up to 100# per cylinder. I hope to start it this weekend. And the clock still works :laugh:

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27337

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice- Looks ready to go!!

It won't be long before #3 happens along :)

-Andrew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27346

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Andgott wrote:

Nice- Looks ready to go!!

It won't be long before #3 happens along :)

-Andrew

Two is my limit.LOL.Thanks, It don't need much. I think it will need a fuel pump kit and maybe lower unit seals. I got it to run this afternoon,but had to squeeze the primer bulb to keep it going. I think I might get by without a carb rebuild. Used some seafoam and it just kept getting smoother and smoother.It's got a wire that either plugs into #1 spark plug wire or to the coil for the sears tach, I don't know which. Any ideas?
And it don't show to have ever heated.

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27349

Jim,
Very nice find and in great shape. Cant wait to see some pics of her on the water.

Bob

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27359

Jim, before you go through all the work rebuilding the pump, and loosing the springs (well I do anyway) check the o-rings in the hose. If they get hard from sitting a long time it can suck air.

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27889

Jim, Nice Find!

As you can see I have the same model and year but with an ERude Starflite 100-S which was brought back after 40 some odd years and hit the water last summer. You're going to love this boat. From what I can see in the pictures, she is in great shape, all original (love the faux hardwood floors) Cant wait to hear more,

Enjoy, Matthew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27890

Jim, can you post some larger images - love to see another DelRio up close, Matthew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27891

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
dreamy little find here. I have a friend in Pelham NH with the same boat. He would cry if he seen this one.

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27907

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
DelRio62 wrote:

Jim, Nice Find!

As you can see I have the same model and year but with an ERude Starflite 100-S which was brought back after 40 some odd years and hit the water last summer. You're going to love this boat. From what I can see in the pictures, she is in great shape, all original (love the faux hardwood floors) Cant wait to hear more,

Enjoy, Matthew

Matthew, how is the ride on your boat? I haven't had mine out yet. Does 40 mph sound out of the question with a 75hp? They claimed that on the crestliner site.What pics do you want of it?jim

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27908

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
g3jim wrote:

dreamy little find here. I have a friend in Pelham NH with the same boat. He would cry if he seen this one.

Thanks Jim,it's a pretty good boat for it's age. (better shape than me,same year) :laugh:

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27909

"Matthew, how is the ride on your boat? I haven't had mine out yet. Does 40 mph sound out of the question with a 75hp? They claimed that on the crestliner site.What pics do you want of it?jim "

Jim, until this boat, I had not had a great deal of experience on "ride" for a boat of this age however when i got her out, I was very impressed with her responsiveness; speed and ease of control - all and all a really nice boat to have out on the water, and given her bow, handles rough water very well. 40MH with a 75 should be doable :)

You might find the folowing strings for my resto of interest if you haven't already found them. Any shots of the dash, stern, flooring, anything really - it's nice to compare how boas of the same year have aged.

Restoration & Launch String:
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/12446-update-62-crestliner-del-rio-launched-.html#12446

Floor Construction String:
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/3685-62crestliner-del-rio-is-this-usual-construction.html#3755

Evinrude Service String:
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/18-jegos-place/10679-1966-evinrude-starflite-100-s-ob-update.html#10679

Cheers, Matthew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27915

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Your Del Rio looks great Matthew!I think if I ever repaint the hull on mine I might go with the imperial stripe like yours.The hull on mine has tiny spider web cracks all over it. The deck doesn't, go figure.I unlocked my photobucket if you want to see what pics I have of it.Excuse my double pics and blurry pics. :laugh:

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27928

Jim,

Spectcular photo's, thanks. She looks to be in really fine shape - do you have any history on her, looks like she has been well protected from water entry. As you can see from my resto pics, my DelRio had taken a lot more of a beating when I first found her. I picked her up for $400 for the boat, motor and trailer however so I can't complain.

When you lifted the plywood decking, did you only find foam losely place in between the stringers? When mine came up, I had poured foam in all of the sub-floor cavities. Also, if yes, does yours have cross flow holes so that any water that did make it beneath the floor could make it to the drain hole at the stern?

Your interior looks immaculate throughout. Did she come with any canvas as I note the two wing-nuts beside the seats on the side wall which is where the cover for mine attaches.

You really have found a Del Rio in really excellent condition, and your Erude looks almost un-used - amazing find.

Please keep us all posted and thanks very much for sharing,

Best,

Matthew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27930

Oh, and the Imperial Stripe came originally in what the manufacturer referred to as Sea Mist Gray, I took it to a black and the deck to white as it had seen some real outdoor sun and I as well have some spider cracks to contend with - Matthew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27935

Was this in pa?

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27936

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I had thought about red for the stripe,but I have enough reds,lol.That black looks great on yours.I'm in no hurry to change her.It has the original top,but it didn't fare as well as the rest of the boat.The front edge dry rotted and is torn but will be kept for a pattern. I will probably add a bilge pump.It has the perfect place for one.(hope I can find a vintage bilge pump switch for the dash)Would you put a thru hull drain on the side or run a drain line to the motor well to empty bilge water?I took an aluminum tube and made a drain for the aristocraft so I wouldn't have to drill.
almost forgot,the foam is just strips laying loose under the plywood. I didn't see any drains through stringers at the back but know there is some cause when I picked it up it was raining and had set through two rains with the plug in and the bow down so the floor was floating.lol. I didn't have time to get to the plug and pulled her home. Man she was heavy! Took me and another guy just to hook her up to my truck.Felt like I was pulling a load of rock.lol.Got her home pulled the drain and the water ran for 30 min.

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27949

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Jim L wrote:

I took an aluminum tube and made a drain for the aristocraft so I wouldn't have to drill.

Pretty cool idea Jim, I like it! I plan on putting a bilge pump in the Starflite, but was agonizing over the thru-hull fitting hole like you are/were. Think you may have provided the solution there. ;)

Mark

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27964

Jim L wrote:

almost forgot,the foam is just strips laying loose under the plywood. I didn't see any drains through stringers at the back but know there is some cause when I picked it up it was raining and had set through two rains with the plug in and the bow down so the floor was floating.lol. I didn't have time to get to the plug and pulled her home. Man she was heavy! Took me and another guy just to hook her up to my truck.Felt like I was pulling a load of rock.lol.Got her home pulled the drain and the water ran for 30 min.

I wonder if my poured foam was done somewhere along the line after it was fabricated - although it seems factory as it was glassed over and extremely well done - strange that two boats same model, same year, have completely different approaches to construction. Part of me loves the structural reinforcement of the poured foam, but when it came to repair and actually getting water out, I have to admit, I like yours a alot better :) I drilled horizontal holes into the stringers in a number of places to allow any water that did get in to run the interior of the stringer and exit into the stern area - I have not needed to install a bildge pump - yet...

Please keep us posted when she hits the water - I think your'e going to enjoy this boat.

Best,

Matthew

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #27965

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
(strange that two boats same model, same year, have completely different approaches to construction.) I think that since mine was the deluxe(cheaper) version, they just laid styrofoam under the floor where as your's was the imperial.Just a thought. I'm kinda glad it is just laying in there so if I have a problem with it,I can just pull it out. Those all fiberglass stringers were a relief to find. :) Where did you put a horn,Matthew?

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #28007

Jim,

I have not found a vintage horn yet so I have been carrying an air horn :) and as I have a search-light (controllable from the dash via cable) mounted on the foredeck, I'm stuggling to find a nice one that will sit on the port side opposite the light... Photo's attached.

Matthew

Attachments:

Re:And then there was two 13 years 6 months ago #28020

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
DelRio62 wrote:

Jim,

I have not found a vintage horn yet so I have been carrying an air horn :) and as I have a search-light (controllable from the dash via cable) mounted on the foredeck, I'm stuggling to find a nice one that will sit on the port side opposite the light... Photo's attached.

Matthew

I found an air horn,a whistle,and a pan flute looking thing.LOL.Every time I see your boat on the water makes me want mine on the lake.You done a super job Matthew! I found this in one of the side storage compartments and thought it was kinda neat to run across.jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7140 guests and one member online