Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Back at it- Boat's off the trailer...

Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27096

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Now that I'm back home in Tennessee, It's time to get back at the boat! The goal is to have it water ready this month. I find it a LOT easier to work on the boat if I get it off the trailer, and on to the cradle I built for it. It's lower to the ground so it's easier to get in and out of, and it's far more mobile so I can move it around...

With the Gator tilt trailer, it's super easy to get it on to the cradle- Even when I'm working alone-

Pull the handle, And give 'er a little push.... Leaving the bow rope connected to the winch to help control it... At this point, the stern is already on the pads of the cradle. I just take extra care to make sure it's centered!

Let the trailer tilt, so the keel slides along the rollers.... Pull the trailer SLOWLY out from under the boat...

After I take the boat off the trailer, I put 4 moving dollies under the cradle so I can move the boat as I need to. On a relatively flat surface like this, it's easy to move... When I put the boat on the cradle, I put it up on blocks that are almost as high as the moving dollies. Once the boat is on the dolly, I use a pry bar to lift the cradle a little bit, and slip the dollies underneath, removing the blocks as I go.

The best thing about having it off the trailer and on the dollies, I can get it into my garage! So, Weather is far less of a factor now.

I'll be working on the trailer, too, while the boat is off... New bearings, etc. Hopefully, It'll all be ready to go...

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27098

Andrew,
Very nice set up. I wish I could do that but alas mine sits in the shed I built and has gravel leading up to the ramp so.... Suppose I could use 8" air filled tires to move it. Hmmm got me thinking now. :)

Bob

Re:Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27099

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I like the idea as well and built similar for my 14 foot trojan and use 8" rubber casterts from harbor freight for the larger boat I only have shale to work with so I would need real tires... I envy those of you with paved or cement workspaces!

Re:Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27100

nice job andrew,and i like that you teid the 2 together so they stay put,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27108

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I built a mobile base for the deck of the Glasspar when I was sanding and painting it- You can see it in this photo-

I used bigger, Pneumatic tires on that, so I could roll it to the downstairs garage when I needed to to store it or work on it... You could probably rig something similar if you don't have the luxury of a paved floor.

Re:Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27113

Nice going Andrew. Makes me want some concrete! Good luck with the boat - it only took me 4 years to get mine in the water! Argh!

Frank

Re:Back at it- Boat's off the trailer... 13 years 6 months ago #27130

I built this cradle for my boat so I could work on the bottom of the hull. I works great! Rolls easily around the back yard. Total cost was $50.00

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5944 guests and 2 members online