Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stern Light

Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27073

Has anyone ever taken apart a stern light? I am trying to take the pole/tubing off the top light casting. It appears as though it is glued or press fit on. I would like to replace the pole if you will. The next question is does anyone have a source for the chrome plated brass thin walled tubing. New stern lights come with aluminum tubing and I am trying to stay original. Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27079

Any idea what it costs to chrome plate a piece of copper tubing?
Just go to West Marine and get a new light.

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27080

hi ,ill take a look in my garage when i go out for a chrome pole ,but some are different od s,ill let you know,and if its glued in ,try a heat gun but dont get too agressive ,take your time,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27095

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a few lights around that seem to have the casting and the pole 'bonded' somehow- I can't figure out how, I don't know if it's a really tight press fit, or if they are braised on, or what- But they are ON THERE. There is, of course, the possibility that they are just 'stuck' together, metal on metal after all those years tends to do that.

I don't know where you'd find ready made chromed brass- You could have it done, but it's expensive... If you don't like the look of the more modern aluminum ones, you can always strip off the anodization and polish them- You can get a mirror finish that's close to what you'd get out of chrome, for a LOT less money. There are also stainless ones out there.

-Andrew

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27103

There are all sorts of styles and brands of stern lights, I suppose construction varies from one make to another.

Maybe finding another vintage light is worth considering. Lots of 'em pop up on eBay.

Andreas

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27110

i looked in my garage and all i have is 1 aluminum,im sorry,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27123

Thank you all for the useful ideas. I was hoping that someone had pulled one apart. The reason I think it can be done is that I purchased a boat with a vintage original stern light that the previous owner had put a longer pole on. The poles I have are 3/4" O.D. thin walled chrome plated brass. Like the kind used for some bathroom towel racks or light fixtures. I know it would be a lot easier to just buy a new one or find one something like it on ebay but where is the fun in that? I am going to break one to find out how it goes together and will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #27164

If you cut the pole about a half inch from the body of the light you can probably crush and fold the pole tube so it can be removed without damage to the light. Then you can fiqure out what held it in place. When they put the new tube on is it bad stuff. why not just cut it shorter if that is what you want?

Re:Stern Light 13 years 6 months ago #28528

I have been restoring the Stern Light for my Mark 55. It has the same very bad chrome on a sh*tty pot metal pole that others talk about. I have been mulling over what to do about re-chroming...I sanded it down getting ready to take it in. There was no way to get it smooth enough to put a new thin coat of copper/chrome without spending huge amounts of time and money.
I am a designer and sign maker and found a piece of vinyl (used in sign making) that looks like brushed aluminum. I took a chance and just wrapped it around the pole..amazing results. You cannot tell it is a piece of vinyl. I can get a piece of chrome vinyl and do the same but quite frankly, it looks so good that I am not going to do anything else.
I have more of this material for any members who need the same.

Re: Stern Light, replacing the pole 13 years 6 months ago #28537

I bought a good sternlight on eBay and the pole was damaged in transit. I found 3/4" polished stainless steel thin-wall tube at the hardware store. It is sold here in Australia for curtain rails or towel rails in 6' lengths. I cut off the old pole, milled out the 'bushing' that remained and used epoxy to glue it in.
Ken.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6235 guests and one member online