Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1991 johnson 60 hp

1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27017

Anyone have any good or bad things they know about these motors looking at one for $500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27082

Those are a good design - some would even say excellent. Solid performance, reliable, good on fuel, and good parts availability. BUT, as with any 20-year old motor, it's what has happened to it between when it was built and now that's important. Do a compression check - you'd like to see 120 psi or better in all three holes with no more than a 10% variance between high and low readings. Crack open the drain screws in the lower unit to check the oil condition - any evidence of water? Look the motor over - a clean motor with few dings, no evidence of overheating, abuse, etc. is likely a well maintained motor.

Even if the motor is blown, $500 is a decent price for that motor - it's worth at least that in parts. Does it come with controls?

- Scott

Re:1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27085

Chinewalker wrote:

Even if the motor is blown, $500 is a decent price for that motor - it's worth at least that in parts.
- Scott

WOW!!
Do I have a deal for you.

Re:1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27106

50s Flash wrote:

Chinewalker wrote:

Even if the motor is blown, $500 is a decent price for that motor - it's worth at least that in parts.
- Scott

WOW!!
Do I have a deal for you.

Not saying I would pay that much (I don't need one), but if someone is looking for a motor, it's not too far off base if it is in otherwise decent condition. Lower unit can bring several hundred, controls go for more than $100, power trim for a couple more, so he could break even and might even make a couple bucks if he didn't rebuild it.

Re:1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27109

Yea its has controls and it looks really clean from pictures possibly going to look at it tonite

Re:1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27111

make sure it turns over and isnt frozen,i just thought i would throw that in,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1991 johnson 60 hp 13 years 6 months ago #27112

He said hed how it running to me

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5889 guests and 2 members online