• Page:

TOPIC: experimenting with color shift paint

experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26985

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
these are pics of an old beat up fridge in my garage,i painted part of it with colorshift paint,it turns differnt colors depending on the angle of the light,pretty cool but expensive,lol,i didnt do any body work on the fridge i just sanded and painted,just to see what it looks like,it goes from blue to a purple color,there are a total of 3 pics coming up,john you can see by the pics,that looking straight on,it just looks like metal flake blue,but then changes as you change the angle of your view,i have used this on some car parts once,but now you can buy it in a spray can,rustoleum color shift.it works best on a black background base.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26987

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
NICE! That is some neat paint. Leave it to you to have the hottest fridge on the block :)

I've seen it in the store, and wondered how well it worked.

I saw a car that was done with paint like that, it was a mustang that faded from red to yellow... VERY cool. It was pricey paint, though- If I recall, it cost more than the car did!

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26988

John,
Wow that's great looking paint and from a rattle can!!?!?!?!? I like it, very cool and custom look.

Bob

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26989

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,heres the big question,lol,whos going to let me paint a boat part like this,im just itching to see howit comes out,lol,free of course,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26991

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm thinking of using Dupli-Color's Effex that gives this same effect on my 115 Merc stack.It comes in a clear or black and is sprayed over your base coat color.We called it flip-flop paint in the custom car builders. It would look trick on the right go-fast boat. What product line did you use John?

Hmmmmmm, the Stiletto with ghost fire using this product for the flames.

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26992

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
he he,i just got this today from ebay ,it looks like a wheel to do,lol,but ill still try it out someones boat part too,i already said i would,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26993

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
oceans yeah i painted some with flip flop,but this is in a rattle can,rustolium color shift,as for the metal cast paint i use it was dupli color,i like it,but some of dupli color paints arent so good,but i do recomend the metal cast,i havent tried the dupli color effex yet,but im sure im ging to now,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26995

Hey John, I'm wanting to paint my invader with a cream sikel orange but in looking at awl grip and imron paint chips the closest thing is international orange. Any ideas?? Thx

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26996

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
andrew and bob yeah it is cool that now you dont have to use a paint gun,im going to try it on this wheel,i think,its just a cheap plastic wheel,i thought it was a better wheel then this,but it was only 20 bucks,this is another wheel i got cheap on ebay,a faux burled walnut,its brand new and i got it for about 15 bucks including shipping,i was going to send it to starcraft if his was too bad to fix,but it worked out and his came out ok,so i might use this on one of my boats,i was thinking with the wood that neil is sending i can get it to match this wood styled wheel,so andrew it looks like i might need 2 center caps,lol.i will pay you of course,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26997

you can buy flip flop pearl in the powder form in various colors to be mixed in what ever high quality brand clear coat you choose to use, & is to be sprayed over the color coat. this way you dont have to use inferior rattle can paints

check with your local automotive paint supplier its also available on ebay in various colors, fun stuff, I started using this on Harleys in the 70's, I still use it, but the trends have changed so its used mostly for Ghosting flames

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26998

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
joe,if its going back on the trailer when your done boating,and not leaving it in the water all summer long,then i use ppg automotive base coat clear coat,you have a whole lot more choices,so far its worked out good,on older boats i have done,it also lets me get more creative with the way i want to paint.
i used it all the time when i used to airbrush scenes on cars ,trucks and bikes.it gives you a longer time between coats,then the omni brand does.
ill tell you one thing though i will never again airbrush the grim reaper on anything especially a motorcycle,i did that for a guy,and the next summer he was killed riding bike,i know its just a coincidense but i still felt bad,he was a good guy.

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #26999

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
mad props,i definatly agree i used pearl all the time its beautiful,i was just throwing this out for small parts,not doing a whole boat,of course you want the right stuff and equipment for painting a whole boat,john

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27000

john-gibson wrote:

ok,heres the big question,lol,whos going to let me paint a boat part like this,im just itching to see howit comes out,lol,free of course,john

Me!

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27001

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok frank,send whatever you want and ill paint it,no problem,i owe ya big anyhow,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27002

I have a grim reaper tattoo that I got 35yrs ago and still kickin'. :laugh:

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27005

John:

I painted a '97 Camaro for my daughter back in '97 and used the Chromolusion paint. It was Dupont. It works best if you use a black underbase. It worked out really good.

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27006

I painted this with "metal effect" Imron knock off.

Only problem is you only get one shot at it...no sanding this one smooth...

The other thing is you only really get the effect in the sun or if it's wet...

Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27007

I'm going to do the center of the Classic Barricuda in PPG Radiance. It sparkles in the sunlight, but normally you don't see it. The motors are already done, Don't think you can see it in the picture.
Attachments:

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27008

If we do a "chop shop" contest and I'm involved, I'll be in touch.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27011

john-gibson wrote:

ok frank,send whatever you want and ill paint it,no problem,i owe ya big anyhow,lol.john

How about a small trailer... :laugh:

Frank

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27013

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
haynes yes its the same with this paint ,black base is best with this paint,thats why i tryed it on the black fridge.i tryed it on white just out of curiosity and not so good,lol.

dave and jerry those are great,and i saw daves in person.

lol,todd,np,lol

yep frank i did say anything buddy,seriously,ill paint whatever you want,i owe you for going for my boat,same goes for todd and tim,john

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27026

Well, probably not the trailer, but I'll think of sumpin!

You're doing good John!

Frank

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27027

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
no problem frank,and thanks,john

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27048

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
john, GM has used alot of that kind of color switching paint. looks good , our body men at the dealership were i work says it is a very hard job to match up when repairing a body panel. oh yes i can not seem to get the boat / pic,s to turn out good enought to send you. if i,am not happy with it you will not be. i will keep trying , tho.e-mail me your address so i can send you it if it ever turns out. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. thanks frog

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27064

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frog,my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and my address is
john gibson
436 helman road
indiana,pa 15701,john,but go ahead and send what you have,you and the other fellows that need something done,
i would appreciate it if you guys would send some stuff to do,im getting cabin fever,lol,of course the price is the same fre to members of fg,especially you guys,john [img/]

---Mark Twain

Re:experimenting with color shift paint 13 years 6 months ago #27071

john, i remember i couldn't just remove my steering wheel. i had to disaassemble the back that goes thru the dash also. i couldn't re-assemble it, so i guess its going to stay on there till it breaks off. :( don't remember who fixed it..
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5866 guests and 2 members online