Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chrysler M-460 motor

Chrysler M-460 motor 13 years 7 months ago #26323

I just found this website and am amazed at the great articles and knowledgeable posters. While I don't yet have one of your "official" Fiberglassic boats, I'm sure I will some day. My current project is a 1984 Century Coronado Cardel. It is currently completely torn down and I am replacing everything from the stringers up.
My question is about the motor. It is a Chrysler M-460. I have never seen this motor in a Coronado. It is a Ford 460 block with Chrysler marine exhaust and a Quadrajet Carb. I am hoping some of the experts on here can give me some history on this odd combination.

Thanks
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Chrysler M-460 motor 13 years 7 months ago #26395

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome aboard .......I'm sure there will be someone to help you with this.Good Luck!

Re:Chrysler M-460 motor 13 years 7 months ago #26403

Scott: The early 80's was the period where Chrysler Corporation had to obtain loans guaranteed by the federal government in order to survive. One of the covenants in the loan agreement was that the big block family of Chrysler engines would no longer be produced, presumably to permanently move Chrysler away from producing gas guzzling vehicles. I think at the time only the 440 was still in production. Chrysler Marine was suddenly left without a big block power option, and purchased 460 engines from Ford to fill the gap. As for the Quadra Jet carburetion, I have a Chrysler 318 from the same era, also fitted with a Quadra Jet. Not sure why Quadra Jets were used, but my experience has been very positive with the arrangement

Re:Chrysler M-460 motor 13 years 7 months ago #26406

Thanks for the info Volero! I thought it must have been a limited time production situation as I have not seen this set up before. This has been a great motor for me with virtually no problems. I like the Quadrajet as I am more familiar with these than other carbs. Linked with a velvet drive tranny this has been a very smooth, great running and great sounding power train.

Thanks again for the info!

Scott

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5975 guests and 2 members online