Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: found a good deal i think need opinions

found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26275

i found a boat exactly like mine from toms cheap old boats he has all the trim and windshield and he would sell everything for 300 including a trailer is this a good deal i should jump on or not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26277

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, are you looking for a windshield and trim for your boat? IF not then what do you want to do with it? Fix and flip?Or fix and hold onto it? If you are looking for another project boat then you may want to try a different style to offset the sameness factor.You also have to come up with a engine and money to register the boat, if you are keeping it.If I wanted it for whatever reason I would offer 200 and start slowly walking. If he did not accept it,then I would fumble for 25$ in singles and 5 dollar bills and say thats all I got mister,turn your pockets inside out shrug your shoulders and shuffle off.He will take that 25$ and its yours.Before all that I would check transom and stringers ,then proceed to mumble that they all have to be replaced with expensive marine grade wood besides all the time involved and the trailer will need new bearings and rubber as it is dry rotted.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26278

i really need trim and the windshield. but theres one problem Hes in oklahoma and im in pa im gonna see if he can just send me parts and windshield for like 100 or 75

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26282

the trim you might be able to find here if you have pics of what you need,same for the windsheild,just post pics an put in the glassifieds.
and if you dont come up with a windsheild here is a great blog on making one,i wish i knew who wrote it,so i could give them kudos for a good article,john
www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-5/wl43-windshield1.html

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26283

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Shipping may depend on length of trim you need.This may be a pain,in his mind,to do.Finding the right packging and removing items along with hoping nothing breaks in the process.Is he set up to take credit card/paypal or do you send a check in advance and hope he ships the correct items in the shape that he described. You may want to bump around the marina's in your neck of the woods and see if they have any unclaimed/scrap boats.You might get lucky and find what you are looking for.Also call up some boneyards and see if they have any boats in the back 40.I know the yard a few miles down the road from me has three or four sitting around.
I would say you wanting to jump on it with not giving much thought to how you are going to move it to your residence is a learning lesson.Fuel,lodging,time and food come to mind for a jaunt like that.Keep scouring Craigs and look at locations besides your home area that you are willing to travel to.Ebay people are more likley to be ready to ship items compared to a boat yard.Good luck!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26284

thanks for htis i guess ill just wait and look around uz it would b an 18 hr drive and only being 14 i dont know if my parents would be up for that

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26291

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Starcraft15 wrote:

18 hr drive and only being 14 i dont know if my parents would be up for that

Just borrow the car- I'm sure that they'd be OK with it :)

I bought a 'parts' boat off E-Bay for my Glasspar restoration, and had the guy ship just what I needed to me. But- I didn't need any huge parts, only smaller stuff. The windshield will cost a LOT of money to ship, because of it's size and how it has to be crated up to ship it safely. I think that you;d be better off waiting to see if you can find one closer to home, and if that fails, MAKE ONE! I've seen some homemade ones that look as good (or better) than factory made ones. Check out the link already posted...

-Andrew

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26483

Good luck on your search Eric. Hope you will find what you're looking for.
Tom
Cheap Old Boats

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26496

I'd say that Tom just got a free plug for business on the worlds largest Classic Fiberglass Boating Website!!!! :kiss:

Rather than be upset about the advice, why don't we sit back and be glad that a 14 year old is loving the Glassics and is willing to get into the hobby. He will still be boating after we are DEAD.

Tom, in all seriousness, I don't think that 88 was trying to insult you at all. He was simply trying to say how to get the best bang for the buck. Certainly anyone selling a boat can hold firm on a price and sell it for what they think it is worth to both the old owner and the new.

I only say this to keep the peace and to applaud everyone for being willing to continue on with this great hobby. I personally say the boat is worth 300 bucks. BUY IT MAN!!!!!!
This way you help Tom and yourself and everyone goes away happy.

Mike Russon

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26501

yes definatly,toms boats are worth alot more then he asks for them!
if i lived closer i would be at toms all the timelol,i would be a p i a ,lol i have seen his website and actually thought about driving to toms,but at 10mpg,i cant afford the gas,lol,sorry tom i didnt mean to undermine you in anyway,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26503

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Neat Site! I never would have found that if not for this Post! Will keep them in mind.

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26505

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've been on the site- Since he's an advertiser here, I found the site that way.

I'm GLAD he's so far away- I'd probably buy a couple of them!

-Andrew

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26507

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
mrusson wrote:

I'd say that Tom just got a free plug for business on the worlds largest Classic Fiberglass Boating Website!!!! :kiss:

Actually Tom has an ad on this website that I assume he pays for. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Melanie

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26511

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I definately did not intend to insult anyone.Yes I am also glad that a young man is interested in this activity.This is 100% better than everything you read about in the daily news.I was just trying to give Eric some everyday tips on bartering.When I sell something I always ask for more and figure that the buyer will try and knock my price down.When he does we end up with the figure I really wanted and he feels like he got over on me.Thats the best deal when both parties walk away feeling good about the transaction.I know of very few business that sell used items at the full price they have listed.Not saying it isn't done but thats the way most things go in the used items dept.Again I had no idea that Tom was a "partner" on here and I hope he was not offended by my post, if so I sincerly apologize.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26512

I know Tom's Old Boats won't do you wrong. It's up to you what you want to spend. B)
Attachments:

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26513

He said he wouldnt part any of it out

Re:found a good deal i think need opinions 13 years 7 months ago #26514

I have purchased three or more boats from Tom. He has always been very helpful and reasonable. I still have all of them and am very happy with them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5987 guests and 2 members online