Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: trying to find a boat

trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26268

Hey guys I've been trying for years to find a similar boat that I seen when I was maybe 14 years old. I thought with all the glasheads here maybe some one could atleast be able to point me in the right direction. I remember it was a fiberglass boat maybe 16 feet probably from the 60's. The cool part about it was it had a daul cockpit and you sat back to back in it. I wish I could give a more detailed discription than that but I can't. I would recodnize it if I saw one. If anyone could suggest any manufacures that made dual cockpit boats I could reseach it, would be very helpfull. thank you in advance. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26271

Where did you grow up? Many boat manufacturers had limited regional distribution and that may help us narrow down the range of likely boats.

Speed Queen, Larson, Crosby, Glasspar, and some others had dual cockpit models. Two separate bench-type seating areas with a full centerdeck (no walk-through). Many, many other manufacturers had incomplete centerdecks with a step-through opening, generally known as a "walk-through" configuration.

If you remember back to back seating, with seats backing up to the front seating area, separated by a incomplete deck with a walkthrough, and facing the rear of the boat, this is a rarer configuration. Try looking at Larson or Skagit. I would suggest to start browsing through the Classic Boat Library and see if anything looks familiar. Anything else you remember about the boat like tailfins or other distinctive styling might help. Best of all would be any old photos- photos showing any part of the boat would help.

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26274

I grew up in wisconsin. It did have a solid deck seperating the cockpits. It had a white hull and an orange deck if that helps. but I know it was restored I don't know if the color was changed. It sort of looked like a chris craft. It was a bigger boat not a skinny boat. I remember it had a newer 75hp on it I don't know if it was max hp.

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26303

A lot of the ski boats have rear facing seats in the back, so that a spotter could keep an eye on the skier. Boats like Sidewinder and Wriedt were very low profile and sleek. Sidewinder was made by Thompson Boat Co. of Peshtigo, WI 1974-1980 and in St. Charles, MI 1980 to about 1998.

There were hundreds of boat manufacturers. Go to the Classic Library section here on this site and start looking at brochures.

Andreas

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26321

Well I've finished looking at every manufacturer in the library and I did'nt see anything that looked like it. I guess its another dead end. :(

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26332

Although I have never seen a true "twin Cockpit" that you sat back-to-back. my Glasspar Sefair Sunliner has a fiberglass seat structure that may look like a twin cockpit.
Attachments:

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26334

try theclassicboathouse.com...many pics. ron

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26351

I looked at every boat they had on that site, nothing that looked right. I do know it had seprate cockpits and the seats were back to back because it had a convertible top on it, and I kept thinking how do you get in the front seats without steping all over the seats and deck. I remember it pretty well because I got paid 5 dallars to make sure the boat didn't get any scuff makes on it from the dock should a boat have driven by while they where visiting with friends. My father knows the guy who knows the guy that owned the boat but he hasn't seen him for years.

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26418

Certainly the best idea to look over as many images as possible to see if anything jogs your memory. Probably for the only thing to do now would be to contact the fellow. If he doesn't remember the make, any old photos would be very helpful. I bet he would be glad for a visit and reminiscing about good times with the boat.

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26446

Could it have been a Crosby with the rear facing seats custom? Everything else sounds right.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26551

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26560

The crosby is a canadit I've been looking at, but the one I remember was a lot bigger and it wasn't a walk through. It also had the steering wheel on the right side. I think if I remember right it also had a that fake wood plank look molded into the deck.

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26566

Could it have been a Falls Flyer? Not glass, I know, but maybe....(see my avatar)

Re:trying to find a boat 13 years 7 months ago #26573

definetly not a falls flyer but those are very cool boats.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6016 guests and 2 members online