Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need some opinion or ideas

need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26168

The owner before the owner i got the boat from made this hole for some reason. I was wondering what everyone thought would be the best way to fix it would be. Any help appreciated and thanks to everyone that helped with other questions. :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26178

Looks like some one cut the rear seat out to have better access to the area under the motor well. It may have been done so that the fuel tank or battery box was easyer to get to. Repair should be pretty easy. Cut foam to fit inside of seat and secure to stay in place. Glass over foam to match seat area. One could also use plywood as a inside form and then glass over it. This is just a couple of simple ideas. i have used both of them with good results before. I am sure other members will jump in here with some giood ideas also. It will just depend on how much you want to do. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out. Skip. ;)

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26179

Thanks on the reply i was thinking about just boxing the whole thing in and then getting expanding foam and pouring that in to give support and flotation. But just an idea but i like yours too. thanks

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26181

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would clean up the edges and use it as storage space.Was foam in there to begin with? Store your life vest in there instead of the foam.Replace missing wood and put a hinge on the seat section, again storage space for anchor,lines,bumpers,fishing gear,Ipod,beach towels,sun block,flares,emergency first aid kit,sandwiches,etc.... just a idea!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26185

thats a very good idea

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26186

yep,i would make it into a bench seat,with a back that folds down so you can get at the battery and gas tank,i would frame it out all the way across and finish it with plywood,and like 88 said make that middle section so it too can open to store things,theres never enough storge on a boat,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26192

what if i made the gas tank go in there?? got a tank made for it?

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26195

you can buy the red plastic 12 gallon tank for it,im not sure it would fit though,but it is a good idea,if you can get it in and out of the hole,because sometimes you have to drain them and clean them,but thats good thinking on your part,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26197

im talking getting one made out of aluminium. my friends dad owns a machine shop and is more than capable of building a tank for sure

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26198

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
This is what i'd do-

Install a front & back, fiberglassed in. Hinge the seat so you can open it. If you're going to make a seat back, make the whole thing removable, OR make in three sections, so you can get back there.... There is no such thing as too much storage on a small boat :)
Attachments:

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26200

that looks awesome and on the center caps i can send you that piece so you can fit it to the piece like it should

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26201

i agree andrew ,that is what i was trying to explain,i wish i knew how to do graphics like that,john

---Mark Twain

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26202

he has some real talent i know that

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26203

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I would build two plywood platforms against the stern for the two gas tanks.Maybe put eye hooks om each side of tank and secure with HD bungee.I have also seen a piece of plywwod cut out in the shape of the tank glued on the platfom, that will also hold them in place.Gas fumes in a enclosed area without proper ventilation is a accident waiting to happen.What are you going to do with the empty space in the stern area? Space is at a premium on smaller boats,go with the dry storage suggestion.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26206

ok thts what me and my dad decided on

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26207

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'll be on my ship for about another week... I Emailed my address to you. Can't guarantee I'll get the cap done super fast, since I've got a busy schedule next month, but I'll have it done before you need a steering wheel :)

-Andrew

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26208

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A '59 Glass Magic just came up on Craigslist right near me- It's tempting-

nwga.craigslist.org/boa/2229413550.html

I've already got the emblem for the wheel, after all :)

Re:need some opinion or ideas 13 years 7 months ago #26209

ill send the piece to you so its perfect,and the address is for your house im guessing cuz im gonna do a little more polishing and then send to you thanks for this.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6892 guests and no members online