• Page:

TOPIC: About Hammondsport...?

About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25488

• jim bart
  • jim bart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, its about 3.5 hours for me, which is doable. But looking for more info on the show itself, and area surroundings.

How many boats are in attendance? What percentage glass? Are Lummies welcome? Is it a real "show" with classes and judging, or a get together? On shore? In water? Both? Lake cruise? Are both days well attended, or saturday the main, with sunday simply for farewells? Setups on Friday?

Now, other than the show, what nearby attractions are must -sees?
Wineries? Hiking? Biking? Other lakes? Other attractions?

See, if I go, I'd need to make it more than the show, like a mini vacation. I've scoped out several Bed & Breakfast places online, but any personal reviews are welcome.

Thanks for info, jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25490

First of all, here's our chapter's web page; www.winecountryclassicboats.com/ Check the "2011 Boat Show Information" link for currently available event info.

This is one of the best links I've found for Keuka Lake: www.keukalake.com/

More: www.corningfingerlakes.com/

www.steubencony.org/sctourism.html

I couldn't tell you how many boats were in attendance, but the docks were full, and there were a bunch parked on the lawn in front of the docks. Glass might have been 5-10%.

Suffice it to say it was the largest event I've ever been to, but keep in mind about all I've done is make the early June FG NE meets at Silver Lake. There are a lot more folks at Hammondsport, and it's very well organized.

The first night we were there last year there was a wine tasting at the local yacht club. I think that was Friday night. We got there late, so I don't know how many were there early. It sure seemed to be a lot of people at the wine tasting! I think the last night there was a sit down dinner that is an extra charge, but it was great fun.

You will get a chance to apply for a dock or just keep your boat on a trailer.

Not only wineries but breweries are around too. Corning isn't too far and they have a great museum there. I would think there is plenty of opportunity for biking. We're staying at the State campground on Keuka and I know they have hiking trails there.

It's over 4 hours for us and we're chapter members! We joined the chapter because they were so welcoming of classic glass and because it was so well organized. It's a great bunch of folks.

I would imagine they would welcome classic lummies too. I wouldn't hesitate to bring one if I had one.

Frank

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25492

I guess there is usually about 50 boats and they expect 20% this year will be glass, but all materials are welcome.

Another good local web site: www.hammondsport.org/

Frank

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25495

• jim bart
  • jim bart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Frank! You probably had me at "breweries!" Although, always looking to expand my horizons, hence the interest in wine tastings / tours.
I checked out the hammonsport.org site, I'll surely check ou the others when time permits...

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25539

All I can tell ya Jim, is there's a reason the chapter is called Wine Country Classic Boats. There are more wineries around than you can shake a stick at. I'm more of a brewery guy, and there's a few of those around. Gail likes wine, but has yet to find a NY wine she likes. We'll be there for 10 days, so we're doing some exploring. Maybe we can find Gail some wine she likes. Tough job, but somebody has to do it...

Frank

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25574

F - Check out Dr. Konstantin Frank wines. They're good, and in Hammondsport. I've had a number of them and for a NY wine they are good. Better than Long Island wines in general, and a lot better than most Finger Lake wines I've had.

www.drfrankwines.com/

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25631

They had a table set up at the wine tasting for the event last year B. I am not a wine drinker, but Gail is and she couldn't find anything she liked from them or any of the others. F

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25642

Boon's Farm - - - YUMMMMM

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25646

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
50s Flash wrote:

Heeeyyyyy I used to throw that down when I was 18,drinking age back then.I think it was 1.25 a bottle.If I was spending a night there I would of volunteered to take all the ladies on a wine tour in someone else's motor home. Nothing like a group of liquored up women out of there element! When they stumble out of the motor home get your camera's ready,, thats what we call a Kodak moment!!!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25648

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
50s Flash wrote:

Strawberry Hill.... Aaaaahhhh, the seventies.....

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25660

RIPPLE... :(

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25666

What about Old Duke and Night Train Express....

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:About Hammondsport...? 13 years 7 months ago #25791

Wild Irish Rose but keep it in the freezer! ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6850 guests and no members online