Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!!

starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25387

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
eric it should be done by tonight or in the morning,here it is with resin jelly(brown) to fill the small cracks,then more hand sanding then more filling and sanding,then primer and paint,john
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25392

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looking good, John. Soon it'll be as good as new- Or better!

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25396

That looks great

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25397

John, On steering wheels I have used rubber bumper bondo. It flexes a little specially where cracked. Resin gets really hard, and doesn't flex. Just a thought.

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25400

i used jb weld on mine. didn't take long to crack again. if i can get it off, its off to "Gibson Custom Boat Restoration"
Attachments:

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25401

You're just looking to get one of those fancy center caps Ron.

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25409

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah jerry,thank you,this wheel is one of the worst ive ever seen,i had to fill some really big cracks with epoxy for rubber and put in some homemade pins,the resin is just for the very smallest of them,i already told starcraft it might crack again,it looked good in the pics ,but its bad,i told him its free and if it cracks ill give him another wheel,it might not be original,but it will be in good shape.the jelly resin pic is a before pic.not much left after sanding.

lol you got it ron,send it anytime,john
by the way my moms fiance ,ed gordon,just joined fg,him and mom own the sunray,so welcome ed and mom,lol

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25415

Yep, that's what rubber bumper bondo is, Very sandable. Sounds like the same stuff. I may need one of those JG center caps too. lol

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25430

50s Flash wrote:

You're just looking to get one of those fancy center caps Ron.

yes sir, the acbs migh add points for that..lol

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25511

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
starcraft thanks for your patience ,i have the wheel in primer now,and im going to stay up all night to get them painted,i worked on them from 8 am,plus while the filler was drying i did my moms fiances mirror for his avalance,i had to paint it white too,im going to download some pics of your wheel,before and after,it will take me awhile im on dialup,ill let you know when the last pic is up,john darn it my pics seem blurred. im trying to get it to look like this,and your welcome,its my pleasure,its nice to see young folks get into the old boats,it might keep you out of trouble,lol,john ok im done posting pics untill tommorrow.

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25513

That looks great i can not thank you enough for this cant wait to see it done :)

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25566

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
eric i spent most of the night priming ,filling the tiniest holes and cracks,then doing it again,im trying to get it as perfect as i can,i did get 2 1/2 hours of sleep,lol.it looks like there is no difference in the pics ,but there is,i put a little more resin on the pin holes and tiny cracks,now ill go down and sand it again then ,paint it white,wait a couple of hours then add the blue,im hoping to send it on monday,im going into town then .john,darn im having picture issues,i reset the camera to auto,and they are to big,ill go to the basement and redo them.john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25568

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You aren't done yet, John?

SLACKER :)

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25569

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,nope,i spent most of the time sanding,filling and waiting for the resin and primer to dry,lol,if you click on the pics at the top of the page and the before pics you can see just how bad it was,lol,im hoping that after i sand it this time ,im ready for paint,i sure hope so,lol,well the resin should be dry by now,time to go sand some more,lol,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25576

The suspense is a killer from waiting haha thanks so much i cant thank u enough

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25580

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,you have thanked me enough,my thanks will be to see you launch your 1st classic boat.
here is pics of it with the wheel not finished sanding and pics of the 1st of 3 coats of white,then in the morning ill paint the blue,on the spokes after the wheel has dried well,john,darn it the pics came out blue,ill be right back,i hate this old camera!going to try again,be right back,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25582

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok i finshed with the white paint,im going to let it dry over night,then comes a little bit of blue,there are 4 pics eric,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25583

Looks good

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25584

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you,one of the hardest parts is filling and sanding each one of those finger grips(knurls)by hand ,it was just alot of hand sanding ,from 220 grit all the way down to 1000,now its time for a little sleep,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel . 13 years 7 months ago #25587

Sounds good and that looks amazing

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25670

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
eric i finished your wheel,heres a few pics with the blue ,and 2 with a paper cutout of andrews center cap design.it will take me a little while to upload the pics on dial up,ill let you know when im done,john ,ok im done with pics,and i know you want it sent ,but im going to keep it an extra day ,just to make sure all the paint is hard and dry,i dont want the wraping for shipping to stick to it,thanks john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25673

That looks great i cant believe thats my wheel that i sent u it is awesome looking

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25674

very nice john...hope i'm able to get mine off without having to disconnect the cable and drum.

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25676

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks eric,and thanks ron,im ready for it,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25683

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great job, John!

Makes a great frame for that center cap :)

-Andrew

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25689

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks andrew,its your center cap that will tie it all together,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25793

John,
Outstanding work, you are the man!

Bob

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25807

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob thank you very much,it means alot to me,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25809

Man that is the WORST looking wheel I have ever seen, It looks like a Sleep depraved Old Man with a thawed out can of left over Rustoleum worked on it in a dimly lit dusty garage!!!! Uh Oh looks like the Don Rickles in me is coming out!!!!! :ohmy:

Seriously John, All I can say is WOW!!! Not sure how you continually keep hitting home runs but you ARE the BABE RUTH of Steering Wheel Restoration.

Keep on "Payin it Forward" ;)

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25814

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
roflmao,that was funny,but true,lol.
thanks mike,your going to be alittle disapointd but the horns i was going to send you,the guy from ebay said they worked great,so i didnt test them,and i made a rookie move and i didnt test them till today,they arent working.
foolish me,i trusted the guy,so after all that work,ill see if i can get them to work,if they dont you can still have them but im sending back the shipping money you sent,or you can have my prize horns also free plus ill pay the shipping,they are huge but they would look good on your flamingo,im so sorry my friend,its your choice,john p.s,,heres pics of both,i guess i only hit a single on the little ones,lol
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25922

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John and Andrew
The team effort turned out spectacular.
Starcraft is going to have a great wheel for his project.
Wheel done, well, that is one less thing to do!!!!!
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25932

John,

Here's the deal. YOU, out of the generosity of your HEART, and the LABOR of your hands, offered these horns FOR FREE!!! I was LUCKY enough to have GUESSED a random number to win them. Nothing ventured Nothing gained. I WILL NOT accept ANYTHING. It is my DESIRE that you take that money and use it to SHIP something in the future to a needy person that I KNOW you will "PAY FORWARD" with your KIND AND GENEROUS HEART! You are "ONE OF A KIND", and I am honored to be associated with someone like you. As I have said before and will continue to say....

Keep on "PAYIN IT PORWARD!!!!"

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25936

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you neil,andrew will make a beautiful center cap,the one in the pic is just a paper copy thats bigger then the one that hes making,john

flamingo,that was a very heartfelt message,and i felt it,thank you for such kind words.are you sure because you can have the big horns and the small ones free of charge ,i feel bad that i was that dumb,and i still feel i owe you something,and dont worry i will continue to pay it forward,to anyone that needs me,or some help,john.
p..mike you are one of the folks that makes this site great.

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25945

Ok, The Next time You have NOTHING to do and Curiosity gets the best of you, Tear those horns apart and see IF you can make em work. IF and ONLY if you can Make em work WITHOUT spending ONE SINGLE DIME on them, then send em to me. IF not, use em as a Paper Weight. Use the money to help someone else. GOD has blessed me beyond measure with a job that pays me much more than I am worth, so I am MORE than happy to share this little bit with others. I KNOW you will use it where it NEEDS to be used. Don't worry ONE MORE MINUTE about this. I have a working electric horn that came Original to the boat and will use it. Now, if you ever run on to an Original Steering wheel for a 1961 Lonestar Flamingo, THEN we can talk!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25961

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
you got it!!ill look for the steering wheel,do you have a pic of one?

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25979

how long till my wheel is going to be shipped? :P

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25995

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol.i am shipping it in the morning,along with another wheel,you can have it just in case,lol,ill get dimensions of the center cap for it too,its blue but if your painting your boat blue it might match.
like i said your wheel was one of the worst i have seen,and i got it to look better,and i did my best,but in this case you just never know if it will crack again.
also let me give you some advise,if your restoring your boat leave the wheel in a safe place until your boat is almost done ,it will keep curing and it wont be in your way,especially if you redo your dash,have fun with it,and let us see pics of the boat,good luck lil buddy,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #25998

Ill keep posting pics as progress gets farther

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #26002

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
heck,post pics of it now and they will become before pics that you can show us just how much work you have done,beleive me im glad i did,john

---Mark Twain

Re:starcraft 15 your steering wheel is finished!! 13 years 7 months ago #26007

Ill take some tommorrow d you dont have to send me another wheel im sure mine will be fine save that wheel for one of your boats

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5912 guests and 2 members online