Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Making Boat Seat Cushions

Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #25210

** This thread discusses the content article: Making Boat Seat Cushions **

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #25211

Andrew,

Thank you for writing and photographing this pictorial, and thank you for allowing us to post it on the site. It's fantastic!

Jamil

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #25214

Excellent tutorial! I was afraid my 1958 Singer couldn't do it. I'll have to practice.

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #25215

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, Jamil...

Those old singers can usually do a GREAT job- They are tough old beasts. I had to 'upgrade' to an industrial machine to make the interior the way that I wanted to- But could have managed it with my heavy duty home machine had I simplified them a bit.

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #25248

andrew ,you have always went above and beyond for the folks on this site,including me,its a great article and im going to use it,im proud to call you a friend,everything ou do is just masterful.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #26325

This is a great article. I wish I had found it a year ago. I recently completed a complete interior on an 82 Century Arabian and this info would have saved me a lot of trial and error. I did it on an old Singer and it turned out great after a couple of failed attempts. Finding a piping foot for the machine really helped. As a new member I really appreciate all of the great info and articles on this site.

Thanks!

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #26327

Andrew,

This was a great tutorial, My wife is drawing up patterns after reading the tutorial. Great diagrams and great closeup shots. This article will make my boat prettier and more comfortable!! Without breaking my wallet!! Thank you so Much!

Jim.

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #26328

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks.

Jim- Post some photos, so we can see how nice they look!

-Andrew

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #26407

Here are before and after pics of the interior of my Arabian. This was done with a 1970's Singer by a true amature. With a little time and extra fabric it turned out pretty good. It is off white with dark green piping. One trick that I found, if you are having trouble keeping your seams together you can staple them with a regular paper stapler along the outside edge and then remove the staples after you stitch it. I was having trouble keeping all of the pieces together as I stitched and this really made it easier. If I can do this anyone can.

Scott

Re:Making Boat Seat Cushions 13 years 7 months ago #26409

Andrew, Great article. Well written, great pictures. I have thought many times about giving it a shot, but it's a lot like picking up a paint gun. You're going to get some orange-peel, and some runs before you you get it right. It's an art that you develop, but if you never try, you never know. I'm sure anybody that wants to give it a shot will have no problem after reading it. I have a good friend that's an Upholsterer, and if I didn't have him do mine I would feel bad.

One tip I would like to add. On the seat bottoms and backs, if you drill a series of 1" holes it will allow the water to drain, and air to get in. Also a couple coats of polyester resin and acetone will preserve the wood. Never use pressure treated because it warps for some reason, just good ol' CDX.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5886 guests and 2 members online