Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Member Spotlight

Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25189

** This thread discusses the content article: Member Spotlight **

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25190

jamil.a very nice story about him,its hard to hear that he is having problems,i hope everything works out for him,all my best to him and you,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25197

I know what it's like not to be able to do the things you used to do. I'm retired USN and have always been a get it done guy. Starting in 2001 I started having health issues and by 2007 was pretty well done at the age of 51. Depression, rheumatoid arthritis, bad back and knees and leg circulation operations. I bought that Owens last winter and it really gave me a reason to get up and move. Whether it was 1hr or 4hrs I did what I could do. Now I'm getting a glassic and look forward to doing it.It's challenging and fun to do and I derive a great deal of pleasure seeing the end result.
Thom I wish nothing but the best for you down the road. I believe nothing happens by mistake and the reason will come your way. God bless you and keep passing it on.

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25207

• boats
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That's a nice article. Sad, but nice.

Dr. Frankenmerc sounds like a great guy. I'm sorry he's going through all that, but it sounds like he'll be around for a long time. Whether it's his hands on a motor or a protege's.

Member Spotlight: Dr. Frankenmerc 13 years 7 months ago #25217

If nothing else our world could use a well produced instructional video series dealing with motor repair and restoration.
As dealers advance their - Sorry it's Too Old - calander, people need to be able to do it themselves. Sounds like Thom would be the perfect person to do it... using the young guys you speak of in the videos as the students.

In the world of Home Shop Machinists the mantra is "Each One Teach One". Perhaps if fate has dealt Thom a bad hand - literally - something good could come of it and Thom could make money on it at the same time.

But what do I know.

Peter
in Denver

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25222

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Excellent expose on Thom, I'll bet a lot of us learned things about him we just didn't know. No real surprises though, just from reading posts here you get the feeling he's one of the most caring, giving, and humble people you'd ever care to know. ;) Well done.

Welcome back Jerry, good to see you over here! If you need any help navigating around here just shout, lots of great folks glad to do whatever is needed.

Mark

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25237

As an active member in the Big week Mercury in-lines newsgroup I can tell you that Thom's influence extends beyond the Fibreglassics community. Always humble, always helpful, never negative, truly a fine man. Whether across the country like I am or across the ocean, Thom's as close as the phone or the keyboard. Great write up. :cheer:

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25243

Excellent article. I had no idea Thom's hand was so bad. He is definitely in my prayers. He's a very giving man and we only wish the best for him. Hang in there buddy, I have a feeling things will work out fine. Good things do happen to good people.

Bob

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25244

I just wish I lived near Thom, I would gladly volunteer to work for him just to learn from him!

Keep on truckin, Thom!

Hello, World!!

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25251

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm with you, if I were closer I would give Thom my help, if he would have me.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25259

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Great words about a great gentle man. I appreciated reading the article thank you so much for doing it. Things happen for a reason but sometimes you still shake your head when bad things happen to good people.
Over the years of these message boards I have spoken with him 2 x's over the phone and his e-mail help or just general hello's have been endless. I too wish I lived on the west coast just to go and help. You truly wish there was something you could do. Prayers and good thoughts go a long way so lets all join in.
Thanks again for a great read.
Jim

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25264

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Nice read Jamil. Thom, sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your arm after the surgery. Dang, its been a while now.
Prayer can heal. I will pray for a full recovery buddy. Mike

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25267

Have talked to Thom many times from here in Florida. He mailed me a speed prop two years ago at no charge to help me run faster!!! What a gesture that was from an internet and phone friend. As a retired cop also, I know how this makes Thom feel. What a nice article this is about Thom!!

See ya next month in Mt Dora Thom!!

Jim & Elizabeth Savage

Jim Savage

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25274

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I live a couple hours from Thom and have bought a "Frankenmerc" I had an 85 H.P. on my Dorsett Catalina . Thom did me real good with the removal of the old motor and held it for the person I sold it to then installed my new Merc. Any troubles I had he was more than willing to fix or solve the problem. Thom : Prayers are with you and hope to get you out with us this Spring ! You've always got a spot on my boat ! Good Luck Buddy !
Attachments:

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25275

I knew about Thom's back surgery, but not about the problem he's having with his hand. I went through that with my right hand years ago, and after carpal tunnel surgery and two shoulder surgeries got it back in 2006, just as I bought the Power Cat. I just hope the docs out there can figure this out.

Thom has never failed to help me when asked, either on the merc forum here, or through many personal emails. His response is always methodical and well illustrated. If you do good, you get a smiley face.

I wish there was more I could do to help. Thom, you will be in my prayers.

Frank

Re:Member Spotlight 13 years 7 months ago #25352

A great story about Thom. Like many others have already said, I wish that I didn't live 1500 miles away. I would love to come and help him just to "pay it forward" like others do on this site. Also it would be great to learn from "The Master". Best of luck and our prayers are with you.
Bill

Member Spotlight: Dr. Frankenmerc 13 years 7 months ago #25380

Yep, It would be great if Thom was'nt so far away. Its great that the internet can bring so many so far so close just by logging in. But nothing beats face to face time,and I hope someday not only to meet Thom in person, I hope to meet more of the great people on these forums. Thom I wish the best.
Conrad

Re:Member Spotlight: Dr. Frankenmerc 13 years 7 months ago #25804

Great story! It seems we have a pretty good writer amongst us.

I too stopped by the day those boys were there, and I talked to them a little bit. It seems they had a wonderful time!

To say these boys were high schoolers is generous. Back in my day these 9th graders would've been considered junior highers. It seems now days high school seniors need to give a little volunteer community service if they are to graduate. What a concept?

One of Thom's customers (who considers himself a friend) thought a little act of kindness might benefit everyone. Knowing Thom had not been able to do any lifting or strenuous labor since before his surgury he suggested to the boys that this might be a good way for them to help out dad's friend. He suggested it might also be a way to get a little "community service credit" at the same time, being "Officer Adams" was after all a semi-retired police officer.

They agreed, Thom agreed, and they were delivered to Shelton to give Mr. Adams a hand "doing whatever he needed," from cleaning gutters, to raking leaves, to picking up goose poop in the backyard, and maybe even a little mechanical work.

Both boys knew next to nothing about mechanical stuff, but one of the boys had aspirations of becoming a mechanic some day. He had heard that Dr. Frankenmerc was a very special outboard mechanic and was hoping Mr. Adams might allow them a shot at working on some old motors?

You know I always smile when I see that all to familiar sign in my mechanic's shop that says:
Hourly Rates-
Leave It And I'll Call You When It's Done $80/hour
Wait While I Fix It $80/hour
Help Me Fix It $150/hour

Anybody who's spent any time as a service mechanic knows free help can cost you a lot of time/money. Thom didn't take that approach with the boys. As with everyone Thom meets he made an investment in those boys. They spent the day taking old motors apart, stripping & salvaging per Thom's direction.

They went there with the intent of giving something back to a semi-retired police officer who was having a tough time. What they ended up getting was a day full of patient learning all the time enjoying his Thom's wonderful "Man humor". I heard they were cracking up about things Thom had said all the way home.

Thom wrote an amazing "thank you" letter for their teachers.

Best of all... they were invited back to "help an Ol'mechanic out" again.

What goes around, comes around.

Thank you Thom

Re:Member Spotlight Dr. Frankenmerc 13 years 7 months ago #25808

Well written story about a wonderful human being. Thanks!

Member Spotlight: Dr. Frankenmerc 13 years 2 months ago #36987

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Very nice....from all the Mercaholic's out there!
Thom has been helpful with me too.
I picked up my 150hp no running..he walked me through the trouble shooting stages to determine what was wrong.
It was a bad distributor. When I got a different distributor he walked me through the whole process of removing the old and setting up the new..and to my suprise the first crank I had spark..and to my own disbelief when I added fuel it fired up...
....if it wasn't for Thom I may have given up...but worse would not have been turned into a the Mercaholic I am now...

Thank you Thom...

thoughts and prayers sent ...

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Member Spotlight: Dr. Frankenmerc 13 years 2 months ago #36993

Great piece,
Attachments:

Re:Member Spotlight 11 years 2 months ago #80204

I too have been graced by Thom. Not much I can say, that hasn't been said. Besides he is one hell of a top notch individual beyond his Merc skills. His generosity, knowledge, and unbelievable dedication to my project has been over-whelming.

I call him a friend, mentor, and someone I'm glad to have ran into. In my rough times of life, working on my resto project has been my one of my biggest outlets. Thom has helped with that and not only has he taught me so much about an Inline 6, the underlying lessons of dedication and hard work always show through.

I too have hopes of in the near future being able to spend some time in his garage with him. And he has promised my wife a ride in the Model T too!

Thanks again bud for all that you do! Chat with ya later bud!!! We've got projects to knock out!

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online