Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steering Wheel

Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24609

• randyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to restore the steering wheel shown in the attached photo. Is it possible to remove the wheel from the shaft?
What are the colors of the center cap? The cap I have is faded.

I am also interested in any information about the boat it is attached to. It is registered as a 58. The nameplate says was built by the Lund Metalcraft Co., New York Mills, MN. The length of this runabout is 14'6".

Thank you in advance for any help.

Randy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24615

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There should be a nut holding the wheel onto the shaft under the cap Randy. (How the cap comes off, I haven't a clue, that's one I haven't seen before.) If you would post some pics of the Lund, I'm sure one of the knowledgeable folks here would be glad to help you identify it. (When I hear Lund, I think of aluminum fishing boats.) We'd love to see it.

Mark

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24626

hi randy,if you like send me the wheel and ill do my best to fix/paint it for you for free,im doing one today for a young fella.its under "starcraft i got your steering wheel today",i can paint it most any color,but with a rubber wheel its hard to guarantee that it wont crack again.john,p.s.
p.s.to frog neil and skipp,send your stuff to be painted anytime you like,same deal free,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24632

Lund Metalcraft became Lund America and eventually just Lund Boats. They still are very much in business at New York Mills, MN. They are part of Brunswick family of companies. Founder G. Howard Lund was a heating and ventilating contractor that worked with metal duct work. Boat manufacturing was a sideline starting in 1947.

They made (and make) aluminum boats. In 1968 they bought Shell Lake Boats, Inc. and entered the fiberglass boat field. In 1977 Lund was absorbed by Arctic Enterprises, the maker of Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Genmar (Irv the Liquidator Jacobs) eventually gobbled up Lund. In 1980 Jacobs/Arctic closed the Shell Lake factory along with Silverline at Moorhead, MN, another of their firms. In 2004 Genmar sold Lund to Brunswick for $191 million. The $191 million included the two Lund plants, Crestliner Boats and Lowe Boats.

Andreas

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24633

I have the exact same wheel. Mine came off a 1958 Glen L Swish that has gone to greener pastures, so the year is about right. The center cap pops off and there is a nut underneath. Only the center cap comes off, the outer ring is held on by the nut. The shaft is tapered and is there is also a pin on the shaft behind the wheel that needs to be removed. That is a bit of a project.

I was planning on restoring the wheel and using it on my Tomahawk (until I found a gold fleck, similar to my Custom Craft. What I thought would look cool would be to install chrome rings between the colors. I have 4 NOS Impala wheel rings, but need 2 more to finish the wheel.

What is interesting is that this wheel has 3 areas of contrasting colors instead of 2, which is more common. Post a pic when you get it done.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24634

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
This is the wheel on the Aristo Craft, Dont have it home yet to look closer but seems to be the same one and theirs Definately a Snap ring.
Attachments:

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24638

if you guys read my earlier post to starcraft15,you can see that angott is making the center caps and oing a fantastic job of it,check it out if you get a chance.
plus the same goes for any member ill fix and paint your steering wheels and air horns for free,i have alot to pay forward in my life,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24671

The wheel was from the "custom" line by Wilcox-Crittenden Co. They made very high quality boat fittings & still do.

library.mysticseaport.org/manuscripts/coll/coll231.cfm

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24780

• randyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would take a picture but it is already taken apart. The next step is removing the paint on the interior. I am not looking forward to it. Then it is paint. I just purchased a new paint gun and am anxious to try it.
I am still trying to find replacement edge strip for the top of the windshield so if you have any leads, please pass them on. I did find one source but you have to buy 250 feet.
Thank you for the replies.

Randy

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24786

you could try automotive door edge guard,its less expensive,and comes in black and chrome,also clear,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Steering Wheel 13 years 7 months ago #24793

FWIW, the old Wilcox Crittenden factory in Middletown, CT is now an apartment building. A couple of the other buildings across the street and now various commercial spaces.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6624 guests and one member online