Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat?

Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24466

I'm going to find a small American flag to fly on my 18' runabout, what's the proper way to fly it on a little boat?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24468

I can only say for sure if it was a Canadian flag and if it was the Maple Leaf has to be pointing up.

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24474

Yep. Up side down is an international sign of ship in distress. :)

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24475

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Other than right side up- And of course, Blue field forward, you'll probably want it on a stern pole of some kind. Make sure it's not going to drag in the water at low speed, or get tangled in the rig somehow...

As a 'rule of thumb' I usually tell people to size the flag at about 1" in length for every foot of boat length... Keeps you from having a flag that looks way too big or way too small.

-Andrew

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24477

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Not a very good pic of the flag, but still proud to show it!

Mark

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24511

A flag should not be flown before 8 am nor after sunset. A flag should be in inches (or larger)as you boat is long or larger

I remember this from sailing but took me writing a friend as to find the link

www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#size-of-flags

CAVU

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24563

I fly the U.S. Yacht Ensign(1848). It was originally intended as a signal flag to declare exemption from customs duties. It was accepted as an ensign in national waters for a time which means U.S. naval vessels can return salutes. I beleive it was done away with in 1980 but remains a traditional favorite with recreational boaters in national waters.

On land, you can display the flag after dark if it is aluminated but I'm note sure you can on a boat.

Attachments:

Re:Flag Etiquette: what's proper on my boat? 13 years 7 months ago #24566

zonaman wrote:

I fly the U.S. Yacht Ensign(1848). It was originally intended as a signal flag to declare exemption from customs duties. It was accepted as an ensign in national waters for a time which means U.S. naval vessels can return salutes. I beleive it was done away with in 1980 but remains a traditional favorite with recreational boaters in national waters.

On land, you can display the flag after dark if it is aluminated but I'm note sure you can on a boat.

The U.S. yacht ensign [definition] features a blue canton (the rectangle at the upper corner nearest the staff) having 13 white stars and a fouled anchor. Originally devised as a signal to identify documented yachts to relieve them of certain customs formalities, it is now flown on recreational boats of all types and sizes instead of the national ensign in domestic waters. Traditionally, the yacht ensign had a 10:19 hoist/fly ratio like the U.S. ensign. Today it is found with a 2:3 or 3:5 ratio. However, the preferred flag is the 50-star national ensign, especially since the yacht ensign must never be flown in international or foreign waters since it has no standing as a national ensign.

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6746 guests and one member online