• Page:

TOPIC: Some NICE lights on E-Bay...

Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24216

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
There were a couple of REALLY Nice lights on E-Bay that ended tonight. Many of them got kind of spendy- I scored a NICE one- But paid dearly-

It went for more than I really wanted to spend, but I've got the perfect place for it- It is the closest thing I've seen to the missing bow light on my Volksboat. Of course, If I find the actual Volksboat light, I'll use that- But I don't think that's going to happen...

I'm REALLY thinking about 'investing' in a chroming setup... I've got at least one of each of the lights that was on E-Bay (except this one- I've never seen one of these!) they just need a rechrome to look as good as the ones on E-Bay... And, looking at what they go for on there, I could actually do it myself and save a bit :)

-Andrew
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24218

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24226

nice light andrew,good score,and i wish you would get into the chroming bussiness,i would be a customer.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24232

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I would like to get my hardware re-chromed some day and would prefer to get someone that was in the hobby.If you would do it for the public, I'd be interested.

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24234

I think there would be a strong market for reproduction hardware- in aluminum or stainless steel. No worries about corrosion but will polish up very well. Some companies out there specialize in reproduction parts for the 1950's wood boats and earlier, but not much for the fiberglass boats era. I have often thought about writing up a business plan along these lines.

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24235

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
HandyAndy wrote:

I think there would be a strong market for reproduction hardware- in aluminum or stainless steel. No worries about corrosion but will polish up very well. Some companies out there specialize in reproduction parts for the 1950's wood boats and earlier, but not much for the fiberglass boats era. I have often thought about writing up a business plan along these lines.

Stainless would beat the heck out of cheap chromed pot metal. Maybe ,if there is ever enough interest in vintage fiberglass and their values go up, it might happen. Here's hoping. :)

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24239

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Andy-

I have the ability & facilities to cast Aluminum, and have been 'toying' with that idea as well. Technically, I could also do brass/bronze (meaning that the foundry equipment I have access to can handle it), but I've never personally worked with it, so don't know how feasible it would be.

Aluminum is a bit easier to work with, and also has at least one distinct advantage- it can be polised up nicely and used 'as is' without chroming. Sure, it's not as shiny as a nicely chromed piece, but if done right, can look pretty darned good. Glasspars used a lot of custom cast aluminum parts- and they look GREAT when polished up.

As for chroming, I've run some numbers around, and at this point, it's more of a 'will I ever have TIME' thing... I've looked in to the equipment to do it on a small scale, www.caswellplating.com has it all, and great advice. I've talked to them a bit, too. They actually don't recommend that I use a true chrome plating system, but use something called 'copy chrome'. It is VERY similar to chrome in looks, and according to them it lasts as long or longer.

On pot metal, the process is similar to chroming at first, in that you have to clean it all up, polish it, and then put a 'flash' coat of copper on it. Then, you polish it up again, and put the finish coat on. It saves several steps. They've assured me that it is great in a marine environment. The only drawback is that it doesn't look EXACTLY like chrome, though it's very close- and I don't think that you'd know if someone didn't tell you.

The biggest advantage to this is that the Copy Chrome system is not only a lot cheaper, but MUCH safer. One of the reasons that chroming is so expensive is the environmental aspect of it- You are working with some REALLY nasty chemicals. Using them is problematic, and disposing of them even more so. By using a setup like this, you could avoid a lot of the 'nasties'.

They've also got a system that allows the plating to be done on Aluminum- You have to use a Zincate base, then you supposedly can chrome the aluminum.... Might come in REALLY handy for reproduction work!

-Andrew

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24242

I just ordered the small kit to see how it works. Might give me something to fill my time. Will post results and if I'm good at it, solicit some jobs!!

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24247

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm interested to see how it goes. Which kit did you get?

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24248

The small copy chrome kit. I have some pieces on my Owens to try it out on.

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24249

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes... What are the parts made of that you're plating??

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24250

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A: Good Deal . Hey that JERVIS stuff looks familiar , with the side grooves. I still have one handle . Came with the 58 Crosby. . Is some in your custom Craft pile. ?

. Yes over 25 years I have watched plating changes . About 1985 I had a entire Chris 16' runabout done for about $50 in the Catskill mtn of N.Y. Then the enviromental ran everybody , but the biggest co , (Qual-Chrome)out. Guys can still check with Small Motor-cycle towns, but may not be boating friendly.. The Copy / Aluminum coverage sounds interesting.

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24265

• Duke
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Andgott wrote:

This hardware got a nice price-

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390282470320&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_829wt_890

A bit out of my range, Purdy, though!

Andrew - Thanks for posting the link for the Jervis hardware set.
Attachments:

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24327

Andgott wrote:

This hardware got a nice price-

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390282470320&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_829wt_890

A bit out of my range, Purdy, though!

I got the same exact kit from the same guy on his previous auction. Apparently he has several of these set-ups. I paid $132 for mine. It arrived the other day and is in new condition! A little dusty, but shined up like new (of course they are new though).

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24330

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice.

It looks like this seller is 'liquidating' an old dive/boating shop- He's not selling his own items, and doesn't know much (if anything!) about the items he's selling... Man, Do I WISH I could have rummaged through this lot before he got ahold of it! Or, I wish I could have paid the prices marked on some of the packages (If I'm not mistaken, my light is priced at $12.50!).

That's why I always keep my eyes & ears open, you never know what you might stumble upon... I'm selling some 100+ year old postcards from the Philippine - American war that I bought in the same 'junk shop' where I scored all that boat hardware a few months back. I got a box of over 100 individual cards, and they are going on E-Bay for an average of $5.00 each- Many of them fetch way more (record so far is $30.00 for one). I paid $20.00 for the LOT of them.... It's just a matter of getting them in front of the right audience!

Re:Some NICE lights on E-Bay... 13 years 8 months ago #24377

Anything under 300 bucks for a full NOS set of hardware is hell of a smokin' deal. The Jervis stuff is especially popular, so it was even a better deal. For what it's worth - I believe that if you need to make a reproduction part for your boat, then go for it. But wanting to do it for a business is another thing. This hobby is extremely small, and the number of people willing to spend money on their boats is even smaller. Interest is picking up a little here & there, but it will never even come close to where the vintage car market is. Making repro parts costs a ton. I've found that making old boast stuff to sell hasn't come close to making a profit. I wish it was otherwise, but so far, it hasn't been.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6621 guests and one member online